U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 03:33 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,097,226 times

Advertisements

I agree with others that $1200 a person is way too much for a flight from JFK. Emirates often has deals between $400 and $700 a person, they fly from JFK to Milan and are a top notch airline. The thing you need to keep in mind is that travel within Europe is pretty inexpensive, you can often get flights on low cost carriers for less than $100 a person and trains can also be affordable so don't get hung up on flying directly to your final destination. If you're not the type of travelers that need to have everything planned in advance, you can often find last minute deals for hotel rooms, our favorite site on our most recent trip was booking.com because you will often find apartments that are also listed on sites like AirBnB. As long as you stay off the typical tourist path, I think that 5K is more than enough, I would also suggest looking at the groupon site of the cities that you are interested in visiting since you can often find some great deals for activities in that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 03:34 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,250,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Professional View Post
$120 a night for a hotel. $50 a day for food for the two of us and $1000 for the air per person.

Traveling to Rome, Venice, Florence and Nice France. 13 days.

On that budget, in hotel and food and airline you're looking at 4,200.

You're going to spend more on food and you're going to have to pay taxi and transportation between cities. Museums are typically costly in Europe as well.

I don't think you're way off budget but maybe 6,000 instead of 5,000.

If you want to save money, you could find a better flight. There's no reason to pay that much from JFK. Hotel for 120 a night will get you some nice hotels, but you could definitely save a good amount of money if you use hotwire. I'm not a fan of airbnb and don't find it to be much of a money save for short trips. Go with priceline bidding or hotwire to save money.

5,000 is a decent budget if you're good at finding deals. If you are going to say 50 a day for food (probably won't happen) and pay 120 a night for hotel you're probably going to run out of money on the trip.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:13 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,334,622 times
I know traveling these locations are easily expensive... two coffees in Venice cost $30 near St Marks...

The old way to do things on the cheap was to travel by train using it to sleep and/or at hostiles and buying the bulk of food at grocery stores or open air markets.

What have you found online for accommodations?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,632 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I know traveling these locations are easily expensive... two coffees in Venice cost $30 near St Marks...

The old way to do things on the cheap was to travel by train using it to sleep and/or at hostiles and buying the bulk of food at grocery stores or open air markets.

What have you found online for accommodations?
The coffee (and lunch) was FREE in our $10 / night Venice Guest home. First time I had ever seen a Blood Moon, that was neat!

Trains are pretty rich, when you can get a Ryanair flight for under $30

$2500 in Salzburg hotel! Our hosts there were insistent we not pay, even tho they have fetched us from the train station and fed us. (We always hide money for them to find later, and tell them to pass it on to someone who needs it)

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Yes, the rental cars were budget killers. I will take my own car next time and sell it before leaving (Europe collectors LOVE vintage US cars and motorcycles, but 'duty' is HIGH). You can usually bring your own as a tourist. Canadian Friends have left their 'Rialta' RV in Europe for 6 yrs.

I will consider a Euro Delivery BMW diesel next trip, and sell it as soon as allowed after it gets delivered to USA.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:18 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,785,561 times
Default Gites

No one has mentioned gites. Google for numerous booking sites. Most gites are less than a €100 per night and have cooking and laundry facilities, plus on the spot owners to help answer questions or plan daily itineraries.

Gites de france is a place to start.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,277,663 times
Quote:
We are traveling in Europe (from NYC) and think we can do the whole two week trip for $5000.00 (As a couple.)

Friends and family tell us we are crazy and they spent about $400 a day as a couple in Europe for hotel, transportation, tours, admission and food. (Plus $1200 a person for airfare.) So a two week trip would be closer to $10,000.

How much would you budget for a trip to Europe?
Try to tell us a few specific countries you will be travelling to as prices vary.

When I still was able to travel with my family we used to go several times to Timmendorfer Strand in Germany it is a nice place, current price for one night I looked 29/30 october room + bathroom for 2 adults in Best Western hotel including breakfast is 138 euro = 151 usd at today 's exchange is
see XE - The World's Trusted Currency Authority
It is a buffet breakfast so if you eat well it will keep you full untill dinnertime.
Price of main dish there was when I still went 23.50 euro for salmon, potato & veg. 1 glass of wine I think 4.00 euro.

When we went to vacation to some smaller villages near the Rhine river wine area, we would go walking and buy our lunch at the local grocery shop, things like bread cheese fruits and do a picnic whilst walking the hills in the area. From what I remember the grocery shops near German hotels in tourist areas have lots of items aimed at the tourists.

Another place we had vacation several times is Hohewacht hotel which is next to the Baltic sea in Germany, with a fringe of trees for the seawinds, you have there choice of hotel or an appartment. We did both options several times. In the appt you can cook.Grocery shop/bakery is walking distance from the appt.

We also travelled to Scandinavia many times. Lately my partner and DD teen travel together there he drives up. Gas is expensive in EU. Scandinavian hotels are more expensive. Radisson Blue Plaza hotel Oslo Norway looked up 29/30 october price would be euro 171= 188 usd for 2 adults breakfast included.
They visited Vigeland Sculpture park in Oslo entrance is free.
Scandinavian countries are very expensive for alcoholic drinks due to very high taxes etc.

Two week/14 days of hotels for 2 breakfast included at a approx 150 euro a night = 2250 euro
Dinner lets say you do 70 for weekend dinners and 50 for weekdays 10x50 4x70 500 + 280 = 780 total.
Again depends on which country what sort of dinners you would like.

See www.tripadvisor.com section Europe

See Frankfurt click on english menu to see all prices, it is american foods restaurant, a garden salad is euro 5.90=6.47 and a burger is euro 9.40= usd 10.31 (pdf link fails to post)

Old 10-20-2016, 04:49 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,277,663 times
See Booking.com: 1,052,185 hotels worldwide. 106+ million hotel reviews. for hotel searches prices etc. For flights search at Book flights online - Homepage - Lufthansa ® United States of America

Old 10-20-2016, 06:44 AM

960 posts, read 548,744 times
Quote:
$120 a night for a hotel. $50 a day for food for the two of us and $1000 for the air per person.

Traveling to Rome, Venice, Florence and Nice France. 13 days.
Florence is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. They serve a mean Florentine steak too

Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 AM

11,438 posts, read 6,415,105 times
10000 dollars?? I think for that much money I could easily travel for a YEAR in South America

Old 10-20-2016, 07:41 AM

11,438 posts, read 6,415,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
One can go for $5000 if one accepts some drawbacks at hotel locations, restaurant standards and takes public transport instead of taxi, shuttle or inner-european flights.
If you're a couple you dont have as many cheap options as where to stay, since I assume you wouldnt want to stay in a hostel. So their hands are pretty much tied there. But idk, you dont have to go to the most expensive restaurants every time. Im sure there are lots of cheaper places to eat. There is also nothing wrong with public transportation, in many parts of Europe public transportation is excellent and an easy way to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or