U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:27 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,484,350 times

Advertisements

Wow! I must be a royal cheapskate. First time to Italy, it cost about $2,000 each for the three of us, airfare included from the west coast for a two-week 'big bus' tour. Since then, I've returned almost every year and it has cost me less than $1,000 for a one-week stay, (not including airfare).

I won't go if the airfare is $900 or more, again from the west coast. I find hotels by first searching on Trip Advisor. They are usually budget hotels, but then I don't go to Italy to stay in a fancy hotel. I'm only in the hotel to wash up and sleep. The hotel breakfast lasts me almost all day, and I grab an apple or something from a street vendor if I get hungry. Dinners are at places locals would go to, not necessarily a tourist restaurant. Transportation is via a bicycle rental, or I just hoof it. Sometimes I'll take a subway to the end of the line, and walk back to the hotel. Good way to see neighborhoods that typical tourists would never see.

Going again next spring, right after I retire. Might stay longer this time. Sure would like to see other parts of Europe, but I just can't seem to get out of Italy. It's like "Disneyland for Adults".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:32 PM

5,267 posts, read 5,189,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Professional View Post
We are traveling in Europe (from NYC) and think we can do the whole two week trip for $5000.00 (As a couple.)

Friends and family tell us we are crazy and they spent about $400 a day as a couple in Europe for hotel, transportation, tours, admission and food. (Plus $1200 a person for airfare.) So a two week trip would be closer to $10,000.

How much would you budget for a trip to Europe?
Quote:
$120 a night for a hotel. $50 a day for food for the two of us and $1000 for the air per person.

Traveling to Rome, Venice, Florence and Nice France. 13 days.

Are you going off peak? To me, that makes a huge difference.

We went to Europe (Belgium/Germany) for about two weeks and we spent less than 5K.

We went in September, right after the summer prices but still warm enough to wear a light jacket.

Our flight back from Germany, including a checked bag and meal, was something like $320/person. So if you didn't do the meal/checked bag it was less. It was a Norwegian Airlines flight on a brand new, beautiful plane. That was into JFK.

We actually left from Newark only because I wanted a direct flight into Belgium. It cost a little more but nothing pricey. Nice plane though on another discount airline.

The only place where the hotels were more than $100/night for us was in Munich, because we were there for Oktoberfest. We didn't stay at any hostels---I just looked for anything that was not too expensive but at least four stars on TA. We were only in the rooms to sleep, since we were out all day, so it didn't make sense to pay a lot for a bed. We did walk almost everywhere, except for places that required a bus or train trip, because we are walkers. As for food, we don't eat out at fancy restaurants at home too often so we didn't really do that there either. We did have a nice meal here or there.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,677 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There is always Pizza Hut, McDonalds and Burger King in Germany and Austria and beyond....

When I was traveling with kids they loved Wiener Schnitzel breaded veal with Pomes... $10 to $14

Dominoes $5 personal pizza kept us alive in the expensive destinations, otherwise we ate like a local (markets and grocery)

Old 10-20-2016, 07:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,127,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There is always Pizza Hut, McDonalds and Burger King in Germany and Austria and beyond....

When I was traveling with kids they loved Wiener Schnitzel breaded veal with Pomes... $10 to $14
Or Costa Coffee, Nordsee, Quick Burger, Paul's, Pizza Express...

Other peoples' fast food can be fun and is often pretty tasty.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,270,979 times
Quote:
We are traveling in Europe (from NYC) and think we can do the whole two week trip for $5000.00 (As a couple.)

Friends and family tell us we are crazy and they spent about $400 a day as a couple in Europe for hotel, transportation, tours, admission and food. (Plus $1200 a person for airfare.) So a two week trip would be closer to $10,000.

How much would you budget for a trip to Europe?
Zero. Ever.

For $12,000 including airfare, I went from Seattle to Cape Town SA, rented a BMW motorcycle, and rode with some chums also w/BMWs up to Vic Falls ZW. 2,700 miles, three weeks, luxury accommodations along the way.

The dollar is strong vs. Euro, that was currency of the middleman who organized most of the details. The SA rand is weak, as is Namibian Dollar. Only thing expensive was Zimbabwe, pegged to the USD at the time. Only there a few days, however.

Dollar being strong as it is, forget Europe from the US when SA (especially) is essentially half-price everything in USD. I'll be back to Cape Town one of these days for that reason, great place to hang around. Will probably stick to Western Cape and Eastern Cape provinces.

Last thing on Earth I'd want is to be gouged by the French and Italians. Nuh uh.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:20 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Wow! I must be a royal cheapskate. First time to Italy, it cost about $2,000 each for the three of us, airfare included from the west coast for a two-week 'big bus' tour. Since then, I've returned almost every year and it has cost me less than $1,000 for a one-week stay, (not including airfare).

I won't go if the airfare is $900 or more, again from the west coast. I find hotels by first searching on Trip Advisor. They are usually budget hotels, but then I don't go to Italy to stay in a fancy hotel. I'm only in the hotel to wash up and sleep. The hotel breakfast lasts me almost all day, and I grab an apple or something from a street vendor if I get hungry. Dinners are at places locals would go to, not necessarily a tourist restaurant. Transportation is via a bicycle rental, or I just hoof it. Sometimes I'll take a subway to the end of the line, and walk back to the hotel. Good way to see neighborhoods that typical tourists would never see.

Going again next spring, right after I retire. Might stay longer this time. Sure would like to see other parts of Europe, but I just can't seem to get out of Italy. It's like "Disneyland for Adults".
I think that's a reasonable cost. I don't know why people often spend $5000 on one trip when they make like 50000 a year. That is just silly.

I spent 9 days in the UK for $1800 (Canadian$). About $2500 for two weeks in Southern France and northern Italy. My 8 day trip to Portugal probably cost less than $1500.

It is just I don't see the point of always staying at 4 star chain hotels and have expensive dinners every single day in this "I should splurge a bit since I am on a vacation" mindset. Use public transit and stay at reasonbly priced hotels. Have an extravagant meal with wine only once or twice. That doesn't reduce the fun whatsoever. Travel can be costly, but doesn't need to be prohibitively so, otherwise, you can afford fewer of it.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:14 AM

24,268 posts, read 18,828,389 times
Some people spend crazy amounts of money on vacations. Sure, if you have it, go ahead, but don't tell me that 'Europe is expensive' because someone spent $5000 a week.

Excluding hotels, it's quite possible to use $30 a day per person. Use public transport, don't even consider buying anything at tourist hotspots, but shop where the locals do. There's affordable sit-down restaurants in every European city, and I don't see why there should be a stigma for buying fresh ingredients at a supermarket and make your own lunch in a park.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,494,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Some people spend crazy amounts of money on vacations. Sure, if you have it, go ahead, but don't tell me that 'Europe is expensive' because someone spent $5000 a week.

Excluding hotels, it's quite possible to use $30 a day per person. Use public transport, don't even consider buying anything at tourist hotspots, but shop where the locals do. There's affordable sit-down restaurants in every European city, and I don't see why there should be a stigma for buying fresh ingredients at a supermarket and make your own lunch in a park.
We call it "european dinner".. when we travel in Europe, we make a point at stopping at a local market and getting a nice thing of crusty bread, meat, cheese and wine and eating at home or in a park.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:18 AM

2,174 posts, read 1,234,617 times
Quote:
$120 a night for a hotel. $50 a day for food for the two of us and $1000 for the air per person.

Traveling to Rome, Venice, Florence and Nice France. 13 days.

If you get an apartment using Holiday Rentals or similar, you might be able to find a nice place for $100 a night. If you book in advance... But $50 a day per food seems to be a bit low. I usually try to enjoy food in Europe since it tends to be a lot better and fresher than in the US. You can but cheap lunch/breakfast or quickly cook it but we usually go out for nice dinner. Not in the most expensive place that is overrun by tourists of course...

But you also have to budget some amount for sight seeing, traveling around, paying admission to museums, buying some gifts, etc. Overall, a budget of $200 a day is realistic. If you are there for 14 days that still adds up to about $2,600, which is reasonable. If you add up the costs of traveling between cities then you end up with slightly more than $5000 for your trip...

Old 10-26-2016, 03:35 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,447,790 times
There is no universal answer.

If you stay with locals, take public transportation, and eat simple meals then $5,000 is WAY more than you will need.

If you stay in the presidential suite of a 5 star hotel, hire a driver, and dine in world-class restaurants you could run through that amount in less than a day.

What you are able to do will rise or fall to meet your budget. If all you have is $500 to spend you will have a very different experience than someone who has $50,000 to spend. But plenty of people have done it at both ends of the spectrum, and most are somewhere in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or