U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 PM

16,815 posts, read 7,487,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
When I visited Paso Robles, I found tastings were typically $5-10 & waived with a purchase. Most wines were in the $12-$30 range, and were of good quality. I've been to a lot of tasting rooms, and I've never seen one that doesn't allow sharing a tasting--I would find that experience very strange. In any event, if intoxication is a concern, you can always spit.

I visited Rotta, Oso Libre, Lincourt, and Buttonwood. I also, occasionally, buy Central Coast wines from my local wine shops.

The Central Coast doesn't produce the array of world-class, high-end wines that you find in Northern California--there are only a few places in the world, almost all of them in France, that do--but it produces very good wines at much lower price points.
I remember Lincourt had some decent sauv blanc for less than $20 but all their reds were $40+, on the road to Los Olivos. My wife and I visited Los Olivos in 2011 and have bad memories, if only because 13 wine tasting rooms (at the time) led to overdoing it.

J. Lohr and Eberle offered complimentary tastings. Some places (Wild Horse, Zenaida, Castoro, and notably Roblar for their excellent wine) offered waived tastings with a purchase, some did not (Stolo, Peachy Canyon, a couple others), one I have forgotten was free if the purchase exceeded $75. Laetitia... forgotten. Less expensive bottles: J. Lohr, Hearst, San Antonio. The Lompoc wineries were expensive but one of the best Pinots I ever have had was at Babcock... $55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 07:49 PM

957 posts, read 1,315,096 times
Sluggo,
By any chance did you try wines from Sutclifffe when in Colorado?

Old 11-07-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Sluggo,
By any chance did you try wines from Sutclifffe when in Colorado?

No, I had to look them up, they're in Cortez in the SW part of the state, I was in Grand Junction/Palisade. We DID visit Castle Creek (in Utah) on the way back from Moab, one of the nicest locations ever.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:59 AM

I have a friend whose son works there- just wanted an "outsider" opinion; thanks.

YEARS ago we tasted wine at a little place near Put-in Bay in Ohio, but I've forgotten the name and don't even know if they're still in business. The wine was not very good, but the place was utterly charming- all fieldstone building.....so unpretentious.

I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions everyone! Thanks for chiming in.

Getting ready to start a new conversation on the beverage thread about ideas for wine tasting themes, so if anyone has ideas and wants to share, please join in over there.....

Old 11-08-2016, 05:36 PM

9,077 posts, read 8,357,508 times
I know you said domestic, but just a cross the river, north of Niagara Falls, is Niagara-on-the-Lake, one of the best wine regions in all of Canada. (You combine it with your Finger Lakes visit)

Our Wineries - Wineries of Niagara-on-the-Lake

My favourite is Jackson-Triggs.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I know you said domestic, but just a cross the river, north of Niagara Falls, is Niagara-on-the-Lake, one of the best wine regions in all of Canada. (You combine it with your Finger Lakes visit)

Our Wineries - Wineries of Niagara-on-the-Lake

My favourite is Jackson-Triggs.
Agreed that it can be combined with Finger Lakes or Niagara Escarpment along the South Shore of Lake Ontario east of Buffalo.

I'll toss out another region on the other side of your great country, the Okanagan Valley near Kelowna. Excellent wines and a very scenic area. I was there in 2008 and was very impressed.

Kelowna Wine Trails & Tours | Okanagan Valley

Old 11-12-2016, 05:43 AM

We were not too impressed with the wine we had from that area but perhaps not the best representation. I've been hearing a number of good reports of wine from there in the last year or so; maybe its time to revisit them. Any specific wineries to try?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or