U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:24 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,320,744 times

Advertisements

OK, I see the problem. The MSP-CDG flight is Air France, but is contracted by Delta. Delta doesn't really operate at all at DFW and only has a few destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 AM

7,332 posts, read 4,183,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
AA has Hubs (Major Operations) @ MIA PHL ORD,

MSP to AA is just a city they fly to, they don't do connections there,
Exactly. AA isn't going to connect you to a Delta flight to Paris; Delta is a competitor in a totally different airline alliance (SkyTeam, not Oneworld).

Old 10-24-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
OK, I see the problem. The MSP-CDG flight is Air France, but is contracted by Delta. Delta doesn't really operate at all at DFW and only has a few destinations.
Exactly. DFW is AA territory. (Houston is UA territory. Delta currently doesn't have any hubs in Texas.) These days it's a rare airport that isn't dominated by one airline.

Why not do some Google searches and see what a cheap hotel (not necessarily near the airport) in MSP would cost you? That might help you decide how much you'd actually be saving if you did decide to fly on two separate tickets and (for safety's sake) came in the day before that cheap MSP-Paris flight leaves.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:33 AM

9,131 posts, read 17,178,542 times
The AirFrance Flight is a CodeShare flight,

If you look at alot of flights that will say "Operated By" (one of that airline partners), It allows AF to say they "Fly to 300" Cities worldwide, but only 90 of them are on AF planes. The Rest are flown by other CodeShare Airlines, but AF get to Market the seats as there own.

MSP was the main hub for NorthWest. Delta & NW merged in 2008, and became All Delta, Delta has been slowly downgrading the MSP HUB.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:20 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,320,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Exactly. DFW is AA territory. (Houston is UA territory. Delta currently doesn't have any hubs in Texas.) These days it's a rare airport that isn't dominated by one airline.

Why not do some Google searches and see what a cheap hotel (not necessarily near the airport) in MSP would cost you? That might help you decide how much you'd actually be saving if you did decide to fly on two separate tickets and (for safety's sake) came in the day before that cheap MSP-Paris flight leaves.
Knowing the facts, would you prefer to book the flights separately to save the $$$, or just pony up the extra cash for the non-stop from DFW?

Old 10-24-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Knowing the facts, would you prefer to book the flights separately to save the $$$, or just pony up the extra cash for the non-stop from DFW?
Since a checked bag is involved (which always adds complications) and the travel is during the winter when weather-related delays are more common, personally I'd pony up the extra cash and flynonstop to Paris from DFW. But it's really your call to make.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:25 PM

11,780 posts, read 6,326,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You clearly missed flyonpa's post:

Increasingly, airlines are disregarding the "flat tire rule," and they can get away with that because planes are flying full these days. They no longer have much incentive to do favors for the average one-or-two-flights/year leisure traveler, who will probably be flying on a different airline on their next trip anyway. (Folks who fly enough to have status with an airline are a different matter, but they make up a small minority of travelers.)

Given the price of a last-minute international ticket, it's not a risk worth taking.
Except, and I'm living proof, they are clearly not. For people like flyonpa who are claiming otherwise, I've yet to see concrete examples (either anecdotally or otherwise) to disprove my own stories and the article with quotes from the airlines that I supplied). Planes flying full would have nothing to do with the flat tire rule as most airlines were/are putting folks who missed their flights on high priority standby to begin with (they are not booting paying customers to re-accommodate fliers) Put up something concrete to counter what I've written or stop spewing nonsense.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,341,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Except, and I'm living proof, they are clearly not. For people like flyonpa who are claiming otherwise, I've yet to see concrete examples (either anecdotally or otherwise) to disprove my own stories and the article with quotes from the airlines that I supplied). Planes flying full would have nothing to do with the flat tire rule as most airlines were/are putting folks who missed their flights on high priority standby to begin with (they are not booting paying customers to re-accommodate fliers) Put up something concrete to counter what I've written or stop spewing nonsense.
You are totally at the mercy of the gate agent and what kind of mood they are in. I can tell you from experience that the airlines do not give priority to somebody who missed their previous flight. They fit you in where they can and if all the later flights are full, you could be in deep dung. They are not going to bump somebody from a flight for some schmo who couldn't get out of bed. Here's a summary of the rules for several US carriers.

https://usattravel.wordpress.com/201...s-your-flight/

Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Except, and I'm living proof, they are clearly not. For people like flyonpa who are claiming otherwise, I've yet to see concrete examples (either anecdotally or otherwise) to disprove my own stories and the article with quotes from the airlines that I supplied)... Put up something concrete to counter what I've written or stop spewing nonsense.
Here you go; it took all of 30 seconds to find this example. I'm positive I could find many more if I searched a bit more, as this is one of the most common complaints I've seen consumer advocates discuss, generally with naive people who booked two separate tickets through websites like Orbitz without being aware of this potential downside. (And note the airline in question in my example!)

Should Delta have been more cooperative in this situation? - FlyerTalk Forums

As I said, you've been lucky. Given that $350 is a significant sum to the OP, I doubt he'd be happy to shell out twice that (or more) if his two-ticket strategy backfired and either Delta or Air France decided not to be nice and made him pay a change fee plus the difference in fare. (And given that playing strictly by the written fare rules nets them hundreds of dollars more than playing nice does, what incentive do they have to play nice in the OP''s case?)

And flyonpa and I are not the only ones saying this. Travel Tip: The End of the Flat Tire Rule

Last edited by Aredhel; 10-24-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 08:23 PM

And here's another example; the passenger was bumped from a Southwest flight, which caused her to miss her flight to Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific was less than helpful.

Why separate airline itineraries can spell trouble

Don't fly on separate tickets unless you can handle the worst-case scenario, which is having to book a new ticket for the missed second flight at walk-up rates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or