U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 PM

9,031 posts, read 16,457,937 times

Advertisements

Could trip insurance hedge some of the weather risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 PM

7,337 posts, read 4,188,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Could trip insurance hedge some of the weather risk?
Possibly. It depends on the exact terms of the insurance. The safest way to hedge the risk is to fly in a day early. Or avoid the risk entirely by booking the trip on a single ticket (which also eliminates the risk that the OP can make it to CDG, but his checked bag will need to be left behind at MSP or returned to DFW).

Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,697 posts, read 40,084,074 times
Did you check any other destinations / origination?

You have quite a few days, so book a day early into NYC or another discount departure for Europe.

Consider flying into Brussels or Amsterdam or even Ireland. We got all kinds of CHEAP inner regional flights while in Europe. (like 12 Euros between countries).

If you are TIGHTLY scheduled, then use a single carrier each way, but you should be able to get better fare than you indicate (Though 12/30 might be killing your chances) 1/5/ 2017 would be FAR better. You can find plenty to do in Europe, and the exchange rate is favorable. If you are out of vacation. Take the time without pay, and save more vacation for your next trip!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:36 AM

10,535 posts, read 8,795,843 times
Just make sure that your lay-over is long enough to take care of most rare situations. I allow 8-12 hours in the US between the two flights. That works in the case of many transatlantic flights originating in Europe; also the other way around, come to think of it.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 AM

16,023 posts, read 19,741,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Knowing the facts, would you prefer to book the flights separately to save the $$$, or just pony up the extra cash for the non-stop from DFW?
IMO I would pay for the non-stop. Why even give yourself this headache.

Motels in MN are not cheap.

That being said, I really like the MSP airport, especially the Mall like atmosphere and shops and always enjoy a layover.

But, It just doesn't make sense to go through this hassle considering you have a non-stop option and what a wonderful trip awaits you.

I have had several occasions that Delta flights were delayed, one even 7 hrs. I love Delta employees, at least the ones in MSP....but there system overall seems to have some real faults in my personal experience. I haven't flown in a couple of years so perhaps things have improved.

Curious.....Your flight from DFW....is it direct to MSP? Or will you have to connect in L.A.?? My delays always revolved around flights to or from L.A.

Make up the difference between now and your trip by taking your lunch to work, or saving elsewhere, it will be worth it.

Last edited by JanND; 10-25-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,324,431 times
I went ahead and booked the non-stop from DFW to CDG. I forgot that since I am still a university student, I can get discounted rates. I got the roundtrip for around $1000 (the student discount saved me about $100). I could have saved about $250 by booking the MSP ticket, but the hassle just wasn't worth it for me. If I was still living in Kansas City, I would have just driven up.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 AM

7,337 posts, read 4,188,364 times
I think you made the right call, OP. Especially since you plan to check a bag. The nonstop minimizes the chances that the bag will go walkabout, and it will be a less stressful trip overall for you. Enjoy Paris!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:58 PM

434 posts, read 300,003 times
In your case, DFW is not a great option - it is always going to be more to CDG as AA is not a strong player in that market. MSP is a Skyteam Hub, Air France is a Skyteam member so they have some good deals.

No, airlines are not required to guarantee your sets if you do not turn up. Realistically, in most cases they will help you. Just call the airline if you know you are going to be late and tell them you will be late - get things straightened out at the airport, not over the phone, they can be more helpful at the airport. You might get delayed a day or two, but they will usually get you there. Trust me, been through that a couple of ties myself. You would probably have better luck if your DFW-MSP leg was on Delta, where they are linked. They could even possibly check your bags through (not sure since the following leg is international). Going out the AF flight is likely to be pretty light anyways that time of year. Coming back is a different story - you are returning on what is a very, very high demand, busy flying day. Be prepared for delays coming home.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM

11,806 posts, read 6,336,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You are totally at the mercy of the gate agent and what kind of mood they are in. I can tell you from experience that the airlines do not give priority to somebody who missed their previous flight. They fit you in where they can and if all the later flights are full, you could be in deep dung.They are not going to bump somebody from a flight for some schmo who couldn't get out of bed. Here's a summary of the rules for several US carriers.

https://usattravel.wordpress.com/201...s-your-flight/
I don't dispute this and have acknowledged such. Also, I've posted rules, with quotes from the airlines themselves, as well. And my experience conforms to the rules precisely. You're put on standby (at least with American) for the next available flight out. No, they aren't going to kick off someone who didn't miss their flight to accommodate you, but I've found that I've never had to wait long to be rebooked/re-accommodated in any event. Also, I want to point out that much of what is in the article you provided concerns calling early to try to change a ticket, which is not what I was referring to.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:16 PM

11,806 posts, read 6,336,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Here you go; it took all of 30 seconds to find this example. I'm positive I could find many more if I searched a bit more, as this is one of the most common complaints I've seen consumer advocates discuss, generally with naive people who booked two separate tickets through websites like Orbitz without being aware of this potential downside. (And note the airline in question in my example!)

Should Delta have been more cooperative in this situation? - FlyerTalk Forums

As I said, you've been lucky. Given that $350 is a significant sum to the OP, I doubt he'd be happy to shell out twice that (or more) if his two-ticket strategy backfired and either Delta or Air France decided not to be nice and made him pay a change fee plus the difference in fare. (And given that playing strictly by the written fare rules nets them hundreds of dollars more than playing nice does, what incentive do they have to play nice in the OP''s case?)

And flyonpa and I are not the only ones saying this. Travel Tip: The End of the Flat Tire Rule
I figured you'd find/post the petergreenberg article, which doesn't disprove anything. Far from it. In fact, the greenberg article claims that the flat tire rule is gone and out (despite providing no evidence from the airlines to support this . . . meanwhile, I've supplied written approval from the airlines confirming the existence of the rule and am living proof that such rule still exists today) because you can't print boarding passes once the plane has started boarding doesn't disprove much of anything; presumably, this would prevent one from taking advantage of the flat tire rule, which generally required one to actually clear security and speak an agent on "the other side." But that's BS. Indeed, even if you can't print a boarding pass from the kiosk after boarding has commenced, you can still get a pass from a human agent. Not to mention that you're free to print a boarding pass at home/use what's on your phone to clear security. And, in my experience, I've never been prevented from clearing security within a couple of hrs of missing my flight; if the agents even noticed that I missed the flight, that's all been cleared up by me saying that I'm going to talk to agent about rebooking. Note, some airlines do have rebooking agents before you clear security, which makes such a move moot.

Moving on: the flyertalk testimonial, likewise, doesn't spell doom to the flat tire rule. In fact, it reconfirms that the rule applies to folks who get to airport within 2 hrs (used to be 4 hrs), not 5.5 hrs or later. Now, I've already mentioned that such a limitation could very well not work out for one if, like the flyertalk member, one is outside of this time frame. However, such a situation is easier to avoid (can't avoid it for certain, but you can certainly cut down on the possibility of not being able to take advantage of the flat tire rule) if you increase the amount of time at your layover destination to account for potential delays. And, while not foolproof, given that nearly 80% of domestic flights are on time (RITA | BTS | Title from h2) and I'd be willing to bet that increasing one's time between layover/flights would put one in a better position to take advantage of the flat tire rule in the event their flight is delayed. Again, not foolproof, but hardly a case of being "lucky" either. So, again, I ask for concrete evidence from the airlines that the flat tire rule has been rescinded, which I've yet to receive, though I've provided evidence that shows its still in affect.

Lastly, of note, while not the traditional flat tire rule, as a poster before me posted, I note that some airlines offer an even larger time-frame for FREE or inexpensive changes to tickets even before one has officially missed one's flight, which puts this conversation in a completely different light even more in favor of taking the approach I advocate for. All in all, smartly timed and given the "odds," I'll gladly continue to book two separate tickets where it makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or