U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:41 AM

6,552 posts, read 3,517,018 times

Advertisements

How important to you is not having your son for a week? If mentally life feels heavy, then a couples trip may be what the doctor ordered to release built up stress. But if all you'll do is worry about your son while away that will defeat the purpose. The only compromise I see is take your son to Jamaica where you can enjoy something different, and your son at that age may love the beaches and such. There is ziplining and other fun things to do in Jamaica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 08:44 AM

245 posts, read 146,702 times
We haven't gone anywhere as a couple for since our honeymoon 8 years ago. The only time we are alone is date night or when my mom takes him and we don't really go anywhere.

I cant afford both.
Our last 3 trips have been to sesame place, Hershey park, and great wolf lodge. So all family trips. We are going skiing in December but it will be a family trip too.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 AM

245 posts, read 216,082 times
my parents took my brother and I to Disney when we were 5 and 7 years old. My parents say we all had a great time but they regret taking us when we were that young because neither of us remember the trip.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,583,857 times
I don't think it's selfish to do a couples trip and hold off on Disney for a bit longer. We do a couples trip every other year (or every year when we can swing it) and a family beach trip. For the family trip we rent a house, cook our meals in and go to the beach. It's not expensive that way which frees up funds to also afford a couples trip every couple of years. That said we'll eventually do the Disney thing one year but we're holding off for a bit. Our son is about the same age as yours and hasn't been begging to go yet so we're not going until he does.

I refer to couples trips as marriage insurance. Way cheaper than divorce!

Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 AM

10,350 posts, read 11,311,280 times
That's a long way to travel and a lot of money to spend for an amusement park. People talk about the lines, but the time spent standing on line is nothing compared to the time spent getting to the airport, waiting around in the airports, flying, and so forth. Over the whole trip you will probably spend more time in bathrooms than in rides. (I guess you can tell that I've been to Walt Disney World and wasn't convinced that it was worth it; of course, I also have a very low tolerance for Disney-type entertainment.)

It sounds as though you do a lot of family stuff with the kids. If you have someone to take care of them, like their grandparents, a week away for just the two of you sounds like a great idea.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:24 AM

3,425 posts, read 3,261,135 times
I would do the couples trip since it's been 8 years since your last. Maybe do Disney next year? We took our kids to Disney last year at 6 and 7. They had a good time but they talk more about the cruise we did before we got to Disney. They both had a hard time waiting in line if the lines were really long. We were at Disney the Thursday/Friday of Labor day weekend. Thursday we walked on Space Mountain and rode it 3 times in a row. We walked on almost every ride. Friday was quite a bit busier and there were some wait times after we used up our fast passes.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:31 AM

2,765 posts, read 1,271,476 times
Sorry, missed the part about not having a couple trip since your honeymoon. I first read your thread a bit before I originally posted and forgot that detail.

Sounds like a tough choice. You could always do one for a week, then do the family one over a weekend or something? Obviously the weekend/shorter trip wouldn't be to Jamaica or Disney though.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,137,193 times
Couples trip!! Give it another year or two before taking your son to Disney.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:52 AM

21,362 posts, read 11,999,239 times
It's not selfish to take a couples trip, but it would also be nice to take your son to Disneyworld while he's still young enough to really believe in the magic. It's a fun trip for an older kid too, of course, but it's not the same as when they are young enough to believe and be excited to meet the characters.

Maybe do the Disney trip if you can factor in a couple of nights of babysitting while you are there so you and your husband can enjoy a couple of romantic dinners together and then also take a long weekend for just the two of you? (assuming you can stretch the budget to cover that)

Old 10-25-2016, 11:01 AM

337 posts, read 300,123 times
Would you feel comfortable with you son with your mom for a week to really relax and enjoy yourself? That was always my holdout for not doing a big couples trip until now (kids are teenagers now).

I would probably combine the both. Take the kid to Jamacia (or another island) to a resort with a kids club. Then you can get both family and couple time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or