U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
2,387 posts, read 911,090 times
Reputation: 4219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not everyone has the time or money to do both.

This is a tough call, with no wrong answer. Have fun either way.
Then I'd choose the family trip. They only stay little for so long. My two shot up so fast it's unreal. Family time is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Texas
3,964 posts, read 3,275,875 times
Reputation: 6785
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's not selfish to take a couples trip, but it would also be nice to take your son to Disneyworld while he's still young enough to really believe in the magic. It's a fun trip for an older kid too, of course, but it's not the same as when they are young enough to believe and be excited to meet the characters.

Maybe do the Disney trip if you can factor in a couple of nights of babysitting while you are there so you and your husband can enjoy a couple of romantic dinners together and then also take a long weekend for just the two of you? (assuming you can stretch the budget to cover that)
Like most PP's, I don't think you should feel the least bit guilty about taking a couples only trip. Do it, have fun, and don't apologize for it.

But emm74 raises some good points about WDW above. There's a pretty small window of time when you can take your kid to Disney and they are old enough to remember it, enjoy it and have the stamina needed, while at the same time still having the power of magical thinking. And 7 years old is right in the middle of that window, IMO.

I also agree that there are opportunities for you to go to Disney as a family, while carving out time for you and your husband to be alone. Babysitting and kids club activities are available. We took our kids when they were 6 and 3 years old (our in laws came as well) and we had more than one adults only evenings while there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Reputation: 18318
A Disney cruise might also be an attractive option. Your son would have a chance to meet the characters, etc., and of course the ships are decked out to have lots of kid-centric activities, but they also have babysitters and a children's club, as well as adults-only areas on board (and they actually enforce the adults-only policy!). So the OP could have some family time and some romantic time on the same trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 01:00 PM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
Reputation: 41122
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
I was planning on going for spring break this year in april. Both my husband and son have never been to disney world.
That is the absolute worst time to go to Disney World. In fact, any time when kids will be out of school is awful.

Pick a time to take him out of school far between any kinds of breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 PM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
Reputation: 41122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
A Disney cruise might also be an attractive option. Your son would have a chance to meet the characters, etc., and of course the ships are decked out to have lots of kid-centric activities, but they also have babysitters and a children's club, as well as adults-only areas on board (and they actually enforce the adults-only policy!). So the OP could have some family time and some romantic time on the same trip.
Best idea yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,043 posts, read 3,989,022 times
Reputation: 13557
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
I was planning on going for spring break this year in april. Both my husband and son have never been to disney world.


Honestly, 7 is the perfect age for Disney. I've been in your shoes many times and I always put my kids first. I personally would rather all of us go somewhere and have fun together. If you can afford a smaller trip with just you and your hubby, do that. It will be worth it in the end. That's what we do. We usually take a 2 or 3 day trip.


Have you asked your husband what he thinks??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
17,035 posts, read 17,348,573 times
Reputation: 41364
I am amazed at all the people who are shocked that you haven't taken a "couple's trip" in eight years. Among my friends and relatives who have children it is very, very unusual for the parents to take more than an overnight or weekend away from their children. In fact, I can not even think of anyone that I know who took a week long vacation away from their children, ever.

Everyone here on CD must be made of money, or can't stand their children, or both if they consider it common or typical to take frequent week long "adult only vacations".

My husband and I had a two night honeymoon (in a nearby city) and after our children were born had one one night vacation without them (until they went away to college) and then every day, at home, was a vacation, as empty nesters.

And, shockingly we are still married, we still love each other very much and we will have been married for 40 years on our next anniversary.

Of course, couples vacations are wonderful if you can afford them and if you can afford to pay babysitters 24/7 to watch your children (or have relatives who live nearby) but they are not essential for a long, happy marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,043 posts, read 3,989,022 times
Reputation: 13557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
A Disney cruise might also be an attractive option. Your son would have a chance to meet the characters, etc., and of course the ships are decked out to have lots of kid-centric activities, but they also have babysitters and a children's club, as well as adults-only areas on board (and they actually enforce the adults-only policy!). So the OP could have some family time and some romantic time on the same trip.


This is a fantastic option! However, Disney cruises are very expensive! Royal Carribean has something similar with a DreamWorks experience. You son would really like that too I'm sure and it's half the price as the Disney Cruise! I also have to second the response that spring break is the busiest time to go, but it does work for the kids school schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 01:27 PM
 
245 posts, read 145,174 times
Reputation: 277
Im not worried about childcare I have so much family who can watch him.
I will look into the cruise option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 02:05 PM
 
3,416 posts, read 3,222,777 times
Reputation: 3853
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am amazed at all the people who are shocked that you haven't taken a "couple's trip" in eight years. Among my friends and relatives who have children it is very, very unusual for the parents to take more than an overnight or weekend away from their children. In fact, I can not even think of anyone that I know who took a week long vacation away from their children, ever.

Everyone here on CD must be made of money, or can't stand their children, or both if they consider it common or typical to take frequent week long "adult only vacations".

My husband and I had a two night honeymoon (in a nearby city) and after our children were born had one one night vacation without them (until they went away to college) and then every day, at home, was a vacation, as empty nesters.

And, shockingly we are still married, we still love each other very much and we will have been married for 40 years on our next anniversary.

Of course, couples vacations are wonderful if you can afford them and if you can afford to pay babysitters 24/7 to watch your children (or have relatives who live nearby) but they are not essential for a long, happy marriage.
This is uncalled for.....I love my children and enjoy spending time with them and without them. There isn't anything wrong with wanting time away with one's spouse. My husband and I took a 5 day cruise for our 10 year anniversary and our 15 is coming up next year. We are going to do another vacation just the two of us. My MIL told us to go and she would watch the kids.

I know plenty of people that take vacations without their children. In fact, one of the teachers at my kids school is going away for their 15 year anniversary in Dec. Her parents are going to watch her kids while her and her husband are away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top