U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:05 PM

3,564 posts, read 2,389,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
In both Brazil and Peru, as soon as the cabbie found out we were American, he offered us cocaine.
Wow...that happened to me and my husband when we were visiting relatives in Sao Paulo. The cab driver offered us coke and I thought he was offering us something to drink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 05:28 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,437,091 times
Default Agree with this but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Everyone is stereotyped everywhere they go, it has nothing to do with race, nationality, gender, etc. Everyone is stereotyped, and everyone stereotypes others, all of the time.

I think a more accurate question is; "what stereotypes are applied to you when you travel?"
I agree with boxus,"that everyone is stereotyped everywhere they go". I also agree that "what stereotyped is applied to you when you travel" best fits the question. I do take issue with it has nothing to do with race, nationality, or gender. IMO, those factors very much play a large role in what stereotypes are applied to a person when they traveling abroad or at home.

Personally, the only stereotype that comes to mind from my travels, and this wasn't a too negative, was while I was visiting Montreal, Canada many, many years ago. I went into a store that is a cheaper version of Victoria Secret (this store was equivalent to Strawberry's if any NYCers are reading). The saleslady kept speaking to me in French about the sales and good deals I could get, I guess, from the way she would pick-up or point at the merchandise. I understand so little French that I all could do was shake my head yes but I never responded verbally because I couldn't remember any French at all. She got upset because perhaps she thought I was being arrogant? Most Canadians in that part of the country are fluent in both French and English. To only speak English in certain areas of Canada is not viewed favorably and maybe that was her reaction to me.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,437,091 times
Default Same in PA from NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Indeed! Certain Wisconsinites have always been jealous of Minnesotans because Minnesota is so much more prosperous than Wisconsin, and if you drive through northern Wisconsin, in particular, with Minnesota license plates, you can become a target!

I was driving south from Superior, WI, one afternoon, with my MN plates, and I was followed for 40 miles by a highway patrol man, just waiting for me to go over the speed limit, which turned me into a nervous wreck!

Couldn't prove it, but I suspected stereotyping!
I've been a NJ resident in the past and have heard other NJ residents say that when they drive in PA areas that border NJ, they have been intentionally almost run off the road, had cars cut in front of them, yelled at, you name it by residents with PA license plates.

A relative who lives in NC not far from the NC/VA state line but still maintains her VA license plates. She refuses to do any longterm parking in certain NC neighborhoods because she believes her VA plates will be a magnet to get her car broken into, vandalized, or ticketed by police. Whereas, if she had NC plates, none of these things would happen given the same circumstance.

It's true that some states harbor animosity towards their neighbor state and not only the citizens but even among law enforcement you have to walk a tight rope because you'll be held to a higher standard while driving than residents of that state. Yes, the police had probably ran your plates and seeing there was no problem there kept following you to see if you'd pull over into another lane without signaling or something for which he could give you a ticket.

Being stereotyped while traveling is very prevalent.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:53 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,859,230 times
Once I was on one the Canadian Gulf Islands near Victoria. The owner of the little coffee bar I was patronizing was going off on complaining about Californians at great length. Turns out some Californians were buying property in the islands and driving up prices which she didn't like too much. After a while, she caught her breath and asked me where I was from. I sheepishly, but with a mischievious smile, told her the truth: San Francisco. After her face turned from beet red back to normal we had a big laugh over it...she then told me I wasn't "typical." Hmmm...

Old 10-26-2016, 06:02 PM

2,384 posts, read 909,421 times
Every time I drive down south, someone's gotta comment on my NJ plates and me being a "Yankee". I like the Yankees though

Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 PM

47 posts, read 32,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I've been a NJ resident in the past and have heard other NJ residents say that when they drive in PA areas that border NJ, they have been intentionally almost run off the road, had cars cut in front of them, yelled at, you name it by residents with PA license plates.
I had a similar experience while driving in Boston with NY plates. I encountered all of the things you mentioned, actually, in addition to being honked at and flipped off for no apparent reason. Will never drive there again after that. The rest of Massachusetts was fine.

Besides that, I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary. Only things like being pestered by aggressive touts in a few developing countries because they assumed I was an easy mark.

Haven't had anyone openly tell me that they dislike Americans. The most common thing I hear whilst abroad is, "The people are okay for the most part, but I don't care for U.S. foreign policy."

Old 10-27-2016, 03:21 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,631,693 times
I went to Turkey last year (white British) with my Mrs (bi-racial British), my youngest step-daughter (black British - her father was a black British guy) and her friend (British with Phillipine ancestry). As a 'family' group we didn't really get stereotyped but we did get a lot of 'confused' stares, eventually one of the waiters at the hotel mustered up enough courage to ask why such a set of diverse people were a family (the staff at the hotel were FABULOUS by the way). The girls were VERY popular amongst the young men in town and both received multiple offers of marriage! lol.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:30 AM

8,630 posts, read 19,056,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Jamaica: When leaving the beach owned by our resort you're instantly bombarded by locals trying to sell you trinkets, parasailing trips, massages, lobsters, etc. The few blacks whom I observed do the same thing they are left alone.
It happens to every tourist of every color....not just the non blacks.

They even approach the locals that frequent the tourist areas, until they get used to seeing you, and then word gets out that you're a local and they leave you alone. Every so often I get approached, but a smile and a no thank you go a long way.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:48 AM

948 posts, read 537,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I learned my lesson, long ago, when doing some foreign travel, particularly to Latin America not to be truthful about the city I lived in. Too many have seen movies of Las Vegas and they think I live a similar lifetstyle. So, I switched to saying: I'm from Tucson, Arizona!

Way back in the 1980's, I was traveling around Greece, I was in a market in Athens, contemplating a purchase, the salesmen asked where I was from and I said Minneapolis, Minnesota (where I lived at the time) and the response: People in Minneapolis have lots of money! Well, I won't argue that there's lots of money in Minneapolis and Fortune 500 companies, but it made me wonder: Do they research parts of the world to gauge who could potentially have money and not have money?

I was visiting my mother in Rochester, MN, was out at a department store, to buy her some clothes, my mother told the clerk I was her son visiting from Las Vegas, and she said: Yeah! People from Las Vegas have money!

Sometimes, just saying you're from the U.S. can trigger that!

How about you? Have you learned to disguise where you live while traveling? Any incidents of stereotyping?
In the U.S. I am stereotyped by Hispanic females as a "jota" (although I am not) because I am a tall female with a low voice, and I am not particularly lovely. (This is a term used for people who play for the "other team"...). They say this in front of me in Spanish, which I understand.....

Old 10-27-2016, 06:48 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
I'm Asian. In almost every single city in Europe, I got a ton of nihao, it was extremely annoying. Then if they noticed that I wasn't responding they would switch to konichiwa or anyohaseyo.

Also, thanks to the abundance of Chinese tourists in Europe some tourist attractions hire Chinese-speaking staff and they would just directly give me instructions in Mandarin, as if all Asians know it. I usually would say that I'm not Chinese then they'd feel very embarrassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel