Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 02:43 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

We get second-staged by Canadian border patrol (or whatever they are) every time we try to drive our old SUV into Canada...they think we're the world's oldest drug dealers, & try to intimidate us into "confessing". If we take the car, same border crossing, no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:06 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
We get second-staged by Canadian border patrol (or whatever they are) every time we try to drive our old SUV into Canada...they think we're the world's oldest drug dealers, & try to intimidate us into "confessing". If we take the car, same border crossing, no issues.
My husband and I haven't had trouble going into Canada, but coming back into the U.S., definitely. They always act incredulous that a couple from Georgia would be sightseeing in that part of the world. Frankly I think it has more to do with my husband's looks (he is of Pakistani heritage, born in Iran).

Old 10-28-2016, 05:34 PM

120 posts, read 110,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Welp, I've been stereotyped at home and abroad. It's something us minorities simply accept and move on with our lives.
this. I'm used to it, I shrug off what I can and if it's a customer service issue I will leave.

I'm from North Carolina originally so the biggest thing is that I don't have a strong identifiable Southern accent. I'm also Black and don't sound like Rap videos...more of a Huxtable. Honestly to me I still sound plenty Black.

On the humorous side, my dad is half Japanese and when we travel to places where lots of brown people are (Cuba, the Philippines, Puerto Rico) people tend to assume we're local-ish (i.e should know the language)/

Old 10-29-2016, 01:22 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
LOL, Munich is the license plate of all German Sixt-rent-a-car vehicles, that are usually (in LDAR) well equipped with good engines and fun to drive. Last weekend I was going 240 km/h myself with one of those. BMW 530xd
Now I come to think of it DD, I think that it was Sixt that I used, it rang a bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post

Unfortunately, as all frequent travellers should be aware, immigration/border guard types from all over the world have had a sense of humour bypass.
Somehow, Mr. International Traveller me let that knowledge go right out of my head on the first occasion I visited Canada, back in the '80s.
I was visiting an American girlfriend who was at SUNY, Binghamton, and decided that before I drove back to NYC, I'd check out Canada, as I'd seen road signs saying X kilometres to Canada, and plus I'd never been there before.
I was driving a rental with New Jersey plates, and when I got to the border, (probably 1000 Islands), a Canadian official said to me, "U.S. citizen?"
I said, "No, I'm English."
He then said, "How long will you be in Canada?"
This is where I must have thought, 'Let's have a laugh, we're all friends together.'
To my eternal shame and regret, I said, "Does it matter, it belongs to us doesn't it?"
I'll spare you the next couple of minutes of apoplectic rage, but it culminated in him stamping something in my passport, and growling, "I've given you 48 hours, then get the blank out, and go back to the U.S."
Next time I went to Canada, I kept my trap tightly shut.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:36 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
One of my good friends had a terrible time getting in to Canada when he had his young daughter with him. Seems he was stereotyped as a dad in the middle of an ugly child custody divorce. They even took the little girl into a separate room and questioned her. Scared her to death.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:40 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yep - vacationed in Maine. Was asked by one of the restaurant patrons to bring more plates to their table. Dude - did you even notice we were not dressed like the other employees? Other examples but too many to list - lol.
That's funny. I've had people in stores ask me for help because they thought I was an employee. I guess they didn't notice that I wasn't wearing a polo shirt with the store name. I helped them anyway.

When I was in Germany and England, until I spoke, many people thought I was a native.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Now I come to think of it DD, I think that it was Sixt that I used, it rang a bell.

Unfortunately, as all frequent travellers should be aware, immigration/border guard types from all over the world have had a sense of humour bypass.
Somehow, Mr. International Traveller me let that knowledge go right out of my head on the first occasion I visited Canada, back in the '80s.
I was visiting an American girlfriend who was at SUNY, Binghamton, and decided that before I drove back to NYC, I'd check out Canada, as I'd seen road signs saying X kilometres to Canada, and plus I'd never been there before.
I was driving a rental with New Jersey plates, and when I got to the border, (probably 1000 Islands), a Canadian official said to me, "U.S. citizen?"
I said, "No, I'm English."
He then said, "How long will you be in Canada?"
This is where I must have thought, 'Let's have a laugh, we're all friends together.'
To my eternal shame and regret, I said, "Does it matter, it belongs to us doesn't it?"
I'll spare you the next couple of minutes of apoplectic rage, but it culminated in him stamping something in my passport, and growling, "I've given you 48 hours, then get the blank out, and go back to the U.S."
Next time I went to Canada, I kept my trap tightly shut.
OMG, hahaha!!

Old 01-21-2017, 12:29 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Everyone is stereotyped everywhere they go, it has nothing to do with race, nationality, gender, etc. Everyone is stereotyped, and everyone stereotypes others, all of the time.

I think a more accurate question is; "what stereotypes are applied to you when you travel?"
People ONLY stereotype when you are perceived to be a member of a group.

I immigrated to America in the 1950's complete with a VERY slavic name and thanks to the taxpayers of California learned to speak perfect English without any accent.

For years, everybody assumed that I spoke English since there were few immigrants from the Soviet Union in this country.

Then when the immigration flood-gates opened and suddenly I became part of a "group" that was known.

People assumed I did NOT speak English.

People assumed I was poor and needed help. We live in a very nice neighborhood, but we had some well-meaning people that must have done a search on slavic names and stopped by to see if we needed help adjusting to America. My American wife told them we were doing fine.

When I traveled in Russia and the Soviet Union the shoe was on the other foot.

I was traveling in the Soviet Union in my mid-20's, wearing jeans and looking like a hip, cool Russian. I tried to get into a restaurant that served only foreigners and could not understand why I could not get past the doorman!! Duh, he thought I was a native!

Later when I got older everybody assumed that I was a American that could not speak Russian. I would even start talking to people in Russian and they would tell me they did NOT understand English. I would literally have to hold them by the shoulders, look them in the eye, and VERY SLOWLY say I am speaking Russian!!

You can have a lot of fun with stereotypes. Roll with it.

The only time I get mad is when people mistake me for Canadian when I travel!! I lived in Canada for a bit of time......that is what convinced me that even with my history I am really an American. Thanks...Canada.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:27 PM

636 posts, read 392,680 times
I can't count the number of times I've been told something along the lines of, "You're one of the good kinds of Americans". Apparently, that's not expected.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:55 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
I was in Vegas, and went to a fine restaurant for dinner. I wore a suit. Anywhere I walked in the hotels, people approached me to ask where something was, as if I worked there. They all thought I was a security guard or some manager. I thought it was appropriate for fine dining, but apparently no one wears suits in Vegas in the summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel