Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:25 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

I found a flight into Europe with 2 layovers to the inbound destination I want...however I'd be willing to get off at the 2nd layover city instead.

Reason being to have a day in the layover city...if I spend the night there it will sortof "break up the trip" for me and make it less daunting than going through the entire flight with 2 layovers straight to my destination.

Does this pose any risks come time to fly back to the US? My inbound city is a different one than my outbound city if that makes any difference....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 10:45 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Some Airlines allow a "Free" layover in there "Hub" city. But it needs to be booked that way.

If you just get off the plane on its 2nd stop (Assuming you have no bags checked), and don't continue to the Final Destination. They will cancel you ticket back to the US (Return Ticket), and they are allowed within the Fare Rules to Recalculate your fare a One-Way Walk-up Fare from the origination point to the 2nd city (could be $5-7K ??)

Old 10-26-2016, 10:47 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Most Airlines do allow a "Open Jaw"

Where you can get off at 2nd city, and return from 3rd city on a Round Trip Ticket.

But it as to be ticketed that way.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:05 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
As others have said, the airline will likely cancel your return ticket if you don't show up on all segments on the outbound.

What's the price when you try to book the 2nd layover city as the destination on the outbound flight?

Old 10-26-2016, 11:45 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I found a flight into Europe with 2 layovers to the inbound destination I want...however I'd be willing to get off at the 2nd layover city instead.

Reason being to have a day in the layover city...if I spend the night there it will sortof "break up the trip" for me and make it less daunting than going through the entire flight with 2 layovers straight to my destination.
What the others have said. What you are proposing is known as "hidden city" ticketing, and it will void the rest of your ticket if you do this. You also wouldn't be able to check a bag, since the bag would be sent on to your final destination on your ticket; you wouldn't be able to retrieve it in the layover city.

Also, where are your connecting/layover cities? Specifically, is the second city inside the US, or outside the US?

The reason I'm asking is that on a single ticket, domestic connections must be under (I believe) 4 hours in length - but a domestic to international connection can be up to 24 hours long. So if, for example, I wanted to fly Omaha - Phoenix - Los Angeles - Hong Kong, I couldn't spend any real time in Phoenix, but I could book the ticket so I arrived in Los Angeles in the evening, spend the night in LA, then fly out to Hong Kong the next day. The airline would consider that a standard connection (since the time between the arrival of the Phoenix to LA flight and the departure of the LA to Hong Kong flight is under 24 hours), not a true layover, and I wouldn't have to use the multicity tool to book the ticket or pay extra for a "layover" in that case.

Edited to add: If you want to try to book a ticket similar to the sample one I showed above, where you can spend the night in City #2 and have that count as a connection, try selecting a departure flight from your home airport that leaves in the afternoon, and see what the airline's or online travel agency's website gives you in terms of connections and price. Or just call the airline and ask a booking agent for details.

Last edited by Aredhel; 10-26-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-26-2016, 01:06 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times
Some more helpful details:

There would be two tickets, both booked with miles:

First ticket:

Chicago>London>Lisbon>Madrid: I want to get off at the second layover in Lisbon.

Second ticket:

Barcelona>Chicago

Old 10-26-2016, 02:35 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
If it is two seperate tickets, it may work. But it's getting complicated if you want to check luggage, because usually they check it right to the destination. Years ago I used a cheap fare on miles on YYZ-CDG-SAW and left at CDG, however it was difficult to persuade the gate people to check the luggage to Paris only, even though I had a whole day (11 hours) in Paris and told them that I need some clothes to change.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:46 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I think Iceland Air did this to increase tourism. You'd have a day or two in Iceland before getting to your final location. I'd love to do it.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
There would be two tickets, both booked with miles:

First ticket:

Chicago>London>Lisbon>Madrid: I want to get off at the second layover in Lisbon.
Which frequent flyer program? Some might allow a stopover in Lisbon, but the programs I'm most familiar with would require that to be booked as two separate tickets: Chicago>London>Lisbon, then Lisbon>Madrid. And of course, being two tickets, it would cost more miles. Most frequent flyer programs have either eliminated stopovers entirely on award tickets or have made the rules regarding stopovers very restrictive.

You might want to consider booking a Chicago>London>Lisbon award ticket, then using a paid ticket on a cheap European low cost carrier for the Lisbon>Madrid segment. I'd check on momodo.com to see what your options are for a cheap Lisbon>Madrid ticket before booking any award travel.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:22 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
You can definitely find cheap flights from Lisbon to Madrid or visa versa.. I would do that instead, less risky for sure.. A quick search for a random day in January yielded flights on TAP Portugal for 36 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel