U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 08:42 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,348,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Right. No one who I know, and travel overseas, had ever problems with the Rx meds. They don't even keep them in original bottles, and keep them in carry on luggage.
I buy some meds there, incl. Rx, and never had any problems either.
You certainly can have problems with Rx meds in foreign countries if they are not approved or even illegal in the country of destination. Travelers need to be careful, especially with sedatives in some Asian and Middle Eastern countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 AM

202 posts, read 127,938 times
Just got back from my trip. Guess what? I was searched BOTH WAYS by TSA.

Going to destination (flying out of a very small airport): before I even get to the area where you collect your luggage, I was patted down. NEVER IN MY LIFE has this happened, and I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but it felt extremely invasive and uncomfortable. Then TSA pulls my carry on aside. They rip that thing apart. They swipe the interior for I don't know what kind of testing, dig around my clothes, opened up a portfolio and looked through documents, and then they came across the powders. Since they weren't opened, they didn't give me grief, but they questioned what I was using them for (well, if you can read, it says it on the label). I was finally on my way after that.

Coming home (flying out of a larger international airport): this time, I get no pat down, but my luggage is still pulled aside. The woman examining it was much nicer than the previous TSA agents. She did swipe my luggage for testing, but didn't ransack it like my flight days before. She did test the powders since I had used them and I asked her if the powders were the reason my luggage was pulled aside, and she said yes.

Questions:

1. How common are pat downs? I had absolutely no metal on me, so I don't know why they chose me.

2. Is that the truth that powders automically make your carry on searchable?

Old 11-13-2016, 10:53 AM

5,286 posts, read 8,486,005 times
In my own experience, the problem with all these "gate keeper" people (TSA, airline gate agents, bank tellers, hotel desk clerks, car rental agents, polling place clerks, etc) is you are subject to their whims of what they feel like doing.

This is regardless of any rules, regulations, policies, etc. They know what they can "get away with", so many times it is just a gamble on what you may, or may not, be subject to at any given time.

My plan is always to prepare for the worst, and be pleasantly surprised if things go well.

BTW, the swabbing of your carry-on is a test for explosives residue.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:08 PM

7,380 posts, read 4,216,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
1. How common are pat downs? I had absolutely no metal on me, so I don't know why they chose me.
A certain number of passengers are randomly selected for pat downs, in addition to the ones who are wearing metal or something else that triggers the screening machine.

Quote:
2. Is that the truth that powders automically make your carry on searchable?
No. But often if you're selected for a pat-down they'll go over your luggage, too. And of course if something looks odd to the person running the baggage X-ray scanner, they'll pull the bag aside and check it out. And once they spot the powders when they open your bag, of course they're going to want to check them out to make sure they're not some dangerous chemical.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:20 PM

2,474 posts, read 914,687 times
I handle mine differently. I individually portion out my daily meds in tiny ziplock bags with a few more extra days in case there's a problem getting home. The little bags go into a quart-size bag WITH the RX print-outs that the pharmacy gives me. I have NEVER been questioned on this any at airport.

Believe it or not, I take a lot of prescription supplements, too, and I do the same with the supplements. I write "supplements" on a card and slip into the quart-sized bag. Again, never been questioned.

I do this because I don't want 11 bottles of pills - some quite large - taking up a chunk of room in my bag. The only complaint to doing this: time-consuming (but worth it to me).

Now, I don't carry powders but I think I would transport those in their containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or