Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,337,416 times

Advertisements

might be becoming homeless soon. I was thinking at a parking lot of a Church. Any other ideas where I won't be likely be bothered by anyone trying to sleep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM

61,411 posts, read 86,419,982 times
Oh no! I am sorry to hear that. Did you explored all your options? Contacted all possible places to get help with housing?
What's your location? Maybe someone can help?

Please check those links:
https://www.quora.com/Homelessness-W...a-car-at-night
117 Emergency Places to Sleep & Live for free in America for People of Color! (We’ve helped over 11 million people, since, 2000!) | Free Housing Global Community
Survival Guide to Homelessness: Finding a Parking Place

Good luck! Hope that's just a temporary hardship...

Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM

44,579 posts, read 61,382,251 times
Do as el nina recommended, there are a lot of resources out there, your area should have many.
BTW a church is not necessary the best place, being quiet and isolated as other remote places, it could be dangerous. A few years ago at a church near us a homeless man was found shot to death in his vehicle.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:45 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,337,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh no! I am sorry to hear that. Did you explored all your options? Contacted all possible places to get help with housing?
What's your location? Maybe someone can help?

Please check those links:
https://www.quora.com/Homelessness-W...a-car-at-night
117 Emergency Places to Sleep & Live for free in America for People of Color! (We’ve helped over 11 million people, since, 2000!) | Free Housing Global Community
Survival Guide to Homelessness: Finding a Parking Place

Good luck! Hope that's just a temporary hardship...
Will check into those links

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Do as el nina recommended, there are a lot of resources out there, your area should have many.
BTW a church is not necessary the best place, being quiet and isolated as other remote places, it could be dangerous. A few years ago at a church near us a homeless man was found shot to death in his vehicle.
Wow, the Church would be the last place I thought someone would be at risk for violence since people usually associate God with the Church.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,732,068 times
Seattle has a 'rotating / daily changing' parking lot for homeless people living in RVs. cars may be excluded (no toilet).

I sometimes used Funeral homes, and hospital / nursing home lots (away from noise of emergency room). They are often secure / guarded (+/-). Fairgrounds sometimes have showers. There are sites for 'free-camping' in usa, but you might need to stay close by your employment / family.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,363,311 times
When I was traveling in a car across country a couple times, I actually slept in McDonald's parking lots - the ones that stayed open all night. Not sure if you can still get away with that.

Walmart lets people camp in most of their lots. Worst case scenario, the cops knock on your window and tell you to move. Just be sober.

I once was exhausting traveling from WA to CA, and I pulled into the police station parking lot in Grants Pass, OR, and slept LOL. I figured if they woke me up, at least it would be the cops. Nobody every bothered me. If any of them noticed me, they let me be.

I'd look for places that are open all night, like Denny's, etc. Where people are coming and going. At least that way, you should be safer, too.

I didn't check the links above, but there is a lot of help for people at risk of becoming homeless, like money for security deposits, etc., that you can only get if you are homeless or at risk of being homeless.

Sorry for your troubles.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,363,311 times
I just wanted to add, there is a neighbor here where I live in the subsidized senior apt building who was homeless before she moved in here. She tried to pay all of her bills, and sold her car to try and stay above water. She said that was her biggest mistake, because she ended up sleeping under bridges and in danger. So, keep the car at all costs, or some car, if you can't keep that one.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,196,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Wow, the Church would be the last place I thought someone would be at risk for violence since people usually associate God with the Church.
Unfortunately that is not the case in many areas today.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:50 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,685,171 times
one of the keys would be to not LOOK homeless, keep your car clean outside and clean from clutter inside, don't dress like a 'homeless' person, if you seem neat and kept and your car is normal, it may just appear you've fallen asleep in your car, you're less likely to get 'bothered' if you don't look homeless.

maybe put at ad on craigslist in your area and ask if there's someone who might want to 'sell' you the ability to park in their driveway at night and leave in the morning, just make sure nobody sees you in the car, bury yourself under blankets or something, if you're off the street, you have a shot to not get bothered, maybe someone will say hey i have a driveway you can use, you never know who might lend a hand, put up the ad and see who responds.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:00 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,309,688 times
National Homeless - Directory

Go to a church in the daytime and ask for resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel