U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:17 AM

259 posts, read 154,579 times

Advertisements

I am planning our honeymoon to Spain in May for 16 nights. We are 30, like to travel around a lot and see new cities, eat, drink, walk around and some nightlife. We are not big museum people but enjoy visiting historical sites and exploring. How does this itinerary sound?

Barcelona- 3 nights
Valencia OR San Sebastian- 2 nights
Madrid - 4 nights- (day trip to Toledo)
Seville -3 nights- (day trip to Cordoba)
Granada- 1 night
Marbella - 3 nights

Am I missing any must see cities?? I went to Palma de Mallorca last time on our cruise and loved it. Is it worth it to return?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 03:22 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I am planning our honeymoon to Spain in May for 16 nights. We are 30, like to travel around a lot and see new cities, eat, drink, walk around and some nightlife. We are not big museum people but enjoy visiting historical sites and exploring. How does this itinerary sound?

Barcelona- 3 nights
Valencia OR San Sebastian- 2 nights
Madrid - 4 nights- (day trip to Toledo)
Seville -3 nights- (day trip to Cordoba)
Granada- 1 night
Marbella - 3 nights

Am I missing any must see cities?? I went to Palma de Mallorca last time on our cruise and loved it. Is it worth it to return?

Thanks for any help!
One night seems pretty short in Granada. I would probably skip it or add a night (maybe taking from Madrid). I've been to Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, and Seville (and know something of Marbella, having visited the Costa del Sol).

I visited Valencia in winter, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very walkable, pleasant, and (at least when I visited) not too heavily touristed. I can't really speak to San Sebastian.

Madrid is a lovely city, but I think it's less easy to like than Barcelona. It's museums really set it apart, but you indicated that you aren't big on visiting museums. I think you may prefer a little less time there spread among your other destinations.

There is simply no way to see all of Spain's great cities/regions in 16 nights. With the above exceptions, I think your itinerary is pretty solid.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
One night seems pretty short in Granada. I would probably skip it or add a night (maybe taking from Madrid). I've been to Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, and Seville (and know something of Marbella, having visited the Costa del Sol).

I visited Valencia in winter, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very walkable, pleasant, and (at least when I visited) not too heavily touristed. I can't really speak to San Sebastian.

Madrid is a lovely city, but I think it's less easy to like than Barcelona. It's museums really set it apart, but you indicated that you aren't big on visiting museums. I think you may prefer a little less time there spread among your other destinations.

There is simply no way to see all of Spain's great cities/regions in 16 nights. With the above exceptions, I think your itinerary is pretty solid.

Thanks! Will adjust! Did you go to any beach towns in costa del sol that you would recommend instead of Marbella? We are just trying to end the vacation with something more relaxing.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Quote:
Thanks! Will adjust! Did you go to any beach towns in costa del sol that you would recommend instead of Marbella? We are just trying to end the vacation with something more relaxing.
You might take a look at Mijas & Fuengirola.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:46 PM

4,686 posts, read 2,315,197 times
I would switch the day in Cordoba to an additional day in Granada unless you are SURE you can get to La Mesquita in Cordoba before it closes. While I did eventually have an amazing experience in Cordoba, it was an 'odd' place with many questionable characters there. It seems a sea of concrete also. Oh, the tale I could tell, but it is too long for this space. Fortunately, although I missed seeing La Mezquita, I 'lucked out' and experienced the most amazing Flamenco exhibition of the champions of flamenco that year. Unforgettable and quite coincidental that I attended when I missed La Mezquita.

Please don't go to Madrid without visiting the Prado (Velasquez) and the Reina Sofia (Picasso's Guernica) museums! You can do this in just a few hours. They are in walking distance of each other. Rent the audio phones for the Guernica. Wonderful tour description of this masterpiece.

In Madrid, I also recommend flamenco at Casa Patas. Authentic! Fun bar scene.

If you could somehow fit Burgos (El Cid tomb is there.) in it would be worth it. The friendliest and seemingly happiest people I have ever encountered.

Since you are thinking of San Sebastian, have you thought of Bilbao, which is relatively close? I think for your ages you'd enjoy it. A very different Spain there. The Guggenheim there is quite something.

You may not be 'museum types' but IMHO there are some things that are just ...

When all is said and done; however, wherever you go in Spain you can't go wrong! Have a wonderful trip.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 AM

67 posts, read 29,042 times
Valencia is a good example...! you can visit lots of things here, shops are great and nights are incredible

Old 11-04-2016, 02:00 PM

573 posts, read 408,246 times
The course of trip,it is very good but too great for so few days .-

I agree with the previous comments, a day is too little time to Granada.
That is precisely the most romantic city in its route in my opinion.-

I suggest you leave, Cordoba for another chance.-

San Sebastian,valencia,Cordoba ,Bilbao,Salamanca,Segovia ,San Sebastian,etc,etc deserve another trips
specifically dedicated to them.-

Spain is extraordinarily varied and different in their regions .It is as if you he was visiting very several different nations and is impossible enjoy this wonderful cities in so little time.-

There is a danger you suffer of a constant frustration at having to go out of town when would want to see more things in each a them-

Old 11-04-2016, 09:23 PM

1,938 posts, read 938,027 times
It is amazing how differently people see the same places and come to completely opposite conclusions.

We spent 18-19 days in Spain last August. Our itinerary was not that different from yours.

We loved Madrid much more than Barcelona. The latter was overrun by cruise ship tourists. In fact the day trip to Montserrat mountains outside Barcelona was better than the city for me - Except for the architecture of Gaudi. I fell in love with Parc Guell.

Madrid has 2 great museums and also great day trips - Segovia, Avila, Toledo, El Escorial, Alcala de Hernares.

we stayed in Malaga and did day trip to Grenada. We also stayed in Seville and I did a day trip to Cordoba. I absolutely loved, loved La Mesquita and wandered the city. To be frank I felt Granada was a bit over hyped and I felt a bit underwhelmed. Your experience may be different.

We loved going from Malaga in the Andulucia region through pueblos blancos and doing the Caminito del Ray trail. Breath taking and not for people with agoraphobia. I also loved the charming city of Rhonda, whose bull ring was made famous by Hemingway..
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...s-spain-hiking

Whatever destinations you take you will not go wrong. My only regret. Not being able to go to Figueres and see the quirky museum of the surrealist painter Salvador Dali.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:03 PM

Thanks for all the help! So I should change Madrid to 3 nights add a night in Granada?? I have been to Madrid before and liked it better than Barcelona so that is why I made it 4 nights. I agree with kamban on Barcelona. I liked it but I felt it was less authentic than Madrid. Is Toledo worth going to? Just want to make sure I have enough full days in Madrid to leisurely enjoy. There are so many places in Spain I want to go! So hard to narrow it down!

Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 PM

1,938 posts, read 938,027 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the help! So I should change Madrid to 3 nights add a night in Granada?? I have been to Madrid before and liked it better than Barcelona so that is why I made it 4 nights. I agree with kamban on Barcelona. I liked it but I felt it was less authentic than Madrid. Is Toledo worth going to? Just want to make sure I have enough full days in Madrid to leisurely enjoy. There are so many places in Spain I want to go! So hard to narrow it down!
Toledo was hot in ealy August. It is 1 hour by train or bus from Madrid. I was nearly pushed off a parapet down a cliff by an overenthusiastic Chinese tourist ( I had recounted it in another thread). It is ancient capital of Spain and it is a city to check off the list but honestly I can't recollect much about it even after viewing photos of it on my computer.

On the other hand I can still remember the ancient Roman aqueduct of Segovia and Alcazar of the city on which the Disney castle was partly based ( the other being the one in Germany). One can easily spend a day in Segovia leisurely. I also loved Avila.

As I had suggested in other posts doing too many castles, churches and historic sites causes mental fatigue and things run into one another. So a nice couple of days relaxing in Andulucia picturesque villages might refresh you. You may not be able to tick off more towns off your list, but you will enjoy the trip.

Granada was also overrun by tourists just wanting to have themselves photographed in front of famous spots. Watch out for the selfie sticks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or