U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: At what minimum distance does flying become more practical over driving for you?
Less than 100 miles 0 0%
100 to 300 miles 5 5.00%
300 to 500 miles 30 30.00%
500 to 800 miles 41 41.00%
800 to 1000 miles 11 11.00%
Over 1000 miles 13 13.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2016, 07:27 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

I don't drive for more than 4 hours, 3 or under is better. I prefer the train, preferably high speed train.
Driving for 8 or 9 hours is so horrifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2016, 08:54 AM
 
6,040 posts, read 4,443,353 times
Reputation: 16753
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Driving for 8 or 9 hours is so horrifying.
Not if you know how to properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 08:47 PM
 
Location: United Kingdom
3,150 posts, read 1,297,295 times
Reputation: 724
200 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Atlanta area
163 posts, read 96,488 times
Reputation: 267
I can't stand driving if I can help it, so it's generally plane for me. Any drive above 3 hours or so sucks to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2016, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
128 posts, read 62,890 times
Reputation: 142
I hate flying so I'll drive. I drive 1300 miles from Austin, TX to Marshfield, WI all the time. Then again, I like driving and drive anywhere between 40-50,000 a year between my job (IT) and personal travel. I also blog about my travels and have driven literally from one US border to another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't drive for more than 4 hours, 3 or under is better. I prefer the train, preferably high speed train.
Driving for 8 or 9 hours is so horrifying.
Horrifying? Well, I'm not going to plan any road trips with you as the driver

Seriously, it really depends on where you are in the world. I've driven in Europe as well as the UK and the US.
I've never felt horror. I did feel a little nervous driving in London for the first time, other side of the road and all that, but our road trip to Scotland was memory filled with things that having a car let us do.

In Europe going from city centre to city centre, yes the train is preferred by me, depending on distance. I'll fly from Athens to Lyon, or Paris, but I'll take the Thaly's from Amsterdam to Paris and vice versa.

In Canada and the US, long road trips are fun. I can easily drive for 10 hours a day. The highways are made for this.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-03-2016 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Austin
29,548 posts, read 16,505,494 times
Reputation: 8089
I hate flying. I flew for business 45 weeks out of every year for over 20 years. Now I hate flying. The only time I fly is when it's the only choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Austin
29,548 posts, read 16,505,494 times
Reputation: 8089
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Driving for 8 or 9 hours is so horrifying.
We took a month long driving trip across the western USA this summer...over 6000 miles and loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
128 posts, read 62,890 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Seriously, it really depends on where you are in the world. I've driven in Europe as well as the UK and the US.
Try Mexico. It is definitely white knuckle driving. Also, Texas can be a bit interesting. I wrote 2 blog entries on just driving in Texas and how crappy it can be:

No Margin of Error on Texas Roads - The Impulsive Traveler Guy
No Margin of Error on Texas Roads Part II - The Impulsive Traveler Guy

Also, this is what it is like to drive from Texas to Wisconsin:
What Its Like to Drive from Texas to Wisconsin - The Impulsive Traveler Guy

I've seen the weather change in both in state and cross-country driving (literally flood to drought or heatwave to blizzard):
From Floods to Drought How Much Weather Changes on a Cross-Texas Drive - The Impulsive Traveler Guy
From Sunshine to Snow How Much the Weather Changes During a Cross Country Drive - The Impulsive Traveler Guy

Road trips are just fun because you discover a lot of cool things and experience a lot of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2016, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
Try Mexico. It is definitely white knuckle driving. Also, Texas can be a bit interesting. I wrote 2 blog entries on just driving in Texas and how crappy it can be:

No Margin of Error on Texas Roads - The Impulsive Traveler Guy
No Margin of Error on Texas Roads Part II - The Impulsive Traveler Guy

Also, this is what it is like to drive from Texas to Wisconsin:
What Its Like to Drive from Texas to Wisconsin - The Impulsive Traveler Guy

I've seen the weather change in both in state and cross-country driving (literally flood to drought or heatwave to blizzard):
From Floods to Drought How Much Weather Changes on a Cross-Texas Drive - The Impulsive Traveler Guy
From Sunshine to Snow How Much the Weather Changes During a Cross Country Drive - The Impulsive Traveler Guy

Road trips are just fun because you discover a lot of cool things and experience a lot of things.
I just got back from Mexico....ya, wouldn't even dare to try and drive. Taxi rides are scary enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top