Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what minimum distance does flying become more practical over driving for you?
Less than 100 miles 0 0%
100 to 300 miles 5 4.81%
300 to 500 miles 30 28.85%
500 to 800 miles 45 43.27%
800 to 1000 miles 11 10.58%
Over 1000 miles 13 12.50%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 08:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

If it involves crossing a very large body of water I choose flying every time. But otherwise it's the 5-6 hour mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 11:53 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I like to drive everywhere, but if I were to do another FL to NY trip I'm flying.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:01 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
For me, time plus load. When I'm traveling for my photography business, I will be carrying bulky equipment--driving is strongly preferable, even if I can bill the client.

For virtually any trip under 8 hours driving time, I'll drive. Airport-hassle time plus flying time never saves me enough time less than that to make that hassle worthwhile.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:23 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
For me, time plus load. When I'm traveling for my photography business, I will be carrying bulky equipment--driving is strongly preferable, even if I can bill the client.

For virtually any trip under 8 hours driving time, I'll drive. Airport-hassle time plus flying time never saves me enough time less than that to make that hassle worthwhile.
Yeah, it does depend on what I want to bring with me. Some stuff the airlines won't carry at all, other stuff they will try to carry it but tend to break it, they tend to not do freight all that well.

Also on the final destination, how much I want a car there, and if I want *my* car or if I would prefer a rental car. Washington DC is one extreme example - a true motoring hell if there is one. If going to DC, I really strongly prefer to fly into Reagan and then take the Metro. There is not much there that I can't do by Metro and say a one-mile walk. But living in "that other Washington", DC is just too damn far to drive. If I had to drive there, I just wouldn't go.

Another trip I actually do take fairly frequently is to Seattle, where the step-daughter lives, and of course there is Trader Joe's, the outfit I take my Rolexes to for service, Pike Place, etc. Since we live about an hour's drive from both Pasco and Yakima airports, and would have to pay for parking there, we always drive, although I prefer to drive to Sea-Tac, get a motel there with free parking, then take the light rail downtown.

It also depends on how appealing the country I will drive through is - both from a scenery and attractions standpoint (Think there is no advantage to driving across the Great Plains? There are all sorts of interesting museums, all sorts of great BBQ joints.) But this depends on weather, I'm not much up for mid-summer or snow time.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:29 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I know there is no exact number of miles, but generally speaking, what is the minimum distance where it makes more practical sense for you to fly instead of drive to your destination?

Lets assume that the majority of the trip can be done by highway and that there is an airport with decent commercial air service near ones home and destination.

For myself, I'd say 250-300 miles for an absolute minimum, maybe as far as 500.

What say you?
If on a "Rubber Tire Vacation" (Meaning a meandering trip with a set point to reach but not a time limit on getting there) then NO amount of flying makes up for it.

But if the "Vacation" is for a set number days then flying would be worth it. It's all depending on what your pocketbook can handle.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:07 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,298 times
Depends if i am solo or not. If I'm solo- then anything over 6 hours, i would probably fly. Flying isn't expensive right now. I can find flights on spirit for about 100 bucks. Now when i drove from MInnesota to philly i chose to drive. Because my son had just turned two so he wouldn't fly free. It was 6 of us total. saved a lot of money

Old 11-09-2016, 01:21 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Washington DC is one extreme example - a true motoring hell if there is one. If going to DC, I really strongly prefer to fly into Reagan and then take the Metro. There is not much there that I can't do by Metro and say a one-mile walk.
Oh, hell yes.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, it does depend on what I want to bring with me. Some stuff the airlines won't carry at all, other stuff they will try to carry it but tend to break it, they tend to not do freight all that well.

... advantage to driving across the Great Plains? There are all sorts of interesting museums, all sorts of great BBQ joints.) ....
SWA still is taking (2) 50# coolers of PNW Salmon and Wild Berries (outbound PNW per person)

And returning with (2) 50# coolers of great beef, lamb, BBQ, and brisket.

Next trip in 10 days!

They also haul my tools since I 'Fly-Drive' to fetch CL junkers in non-rust-belt locations.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
If driving is further than six hours or over water.

I can't drive to Bimini but it is only about 70 miles from me.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:08 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I can't think of any reason I would fly now unless I had to cross an ocean and even then I think I'd consider a ship. For long land trips, I'd take Amtrak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel