Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what minimum distance does flying become more practical over driving for you?
Less than 100 miles 0 0%
100 to 300 miles 5 4.81%
300 to 500 miles 30 28.85%
500 to 800 miles 45 43.27%
800 to 1000 miles 11 10.58%
Over 1000 miles 13 12.50%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:58 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,010,815 times

Advertisements

No option for "never"? I've driven from MA to GA, FL, TX and CA many times. I hate airports and also being locked into travel times. Plus I love driving my own car around the destination point and greatly prefer driving stickshift.

Also I live being able to antique along the way or take a side trip of driving a fun twisty country road. Cross country road travel is a great way of seeing our amazing country. The night skies in Montana are outstanding.

I suppose it depends on the timeframe of the trip. But I have driven to Atlanta many times in one day. Going to TX, it took me 36 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 09:59 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,311,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
4-4.5 hours Las Vegas to Phoenix?????? God forbid, I'd never want to drive with you on that trip!

Have driven it too many times, and can never manage to get there any less than 6 hours! How on earth do you do it? You have a high-tech Fuzzbuster?

I've so grown to so hate driving, that if there were a flight from Las Vegas to Laughlin, I'd do it, even if I had to spend 2 hours in the Airports!! 95 miles!!!
Depending on traffic, exact location etc. one can make it in way under 5 hours (HWY 93). 4 hours would be rather "sportive" though.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:01 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,901,735 times
If I'm flying the plane about 100miles. Is the break even point Door to Door for me to Fly vs Just Drive, in Time.

If I'm in the Back of the plane, Just Me ~300 miles, Time wise its faster to drive then Fly Door to Door, when you count in all the Thing before I step foot on the plane, off the plane. And I'm Not counting the Schedule "Delay" of only being able to go/leave when the Airline goes there.

If its me and my Son the ~300 goes to more like ~500 miles due to additional cost for 2nd Ticket.

Also other of the factors:

How long will we be gone?
Is this a "Road" trip going to many places?
How much stuff do we want/need to take?
Cost of Fly + Rental vs Cost of Driving?

Time/school is a factor, Sometimes its a matter of need to be at X, but can't leave till Y. Need to be back by A, so we have to leave by B to get home by then. But leaving @ B will cause us to miss some of the reason why we going in the first place.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:08 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Depending on traffic, exact location etc. one can make it in way under 5 hours (HWY 93). 4 hours would be rather "sportive" though.
You've heard the age-old saying: Visit Arizona, leave on probation?

2 years ago I drove up through Phoenix at night, from Tucson, and by the time I got to Kingman I was a nervous wreck! They were doing construction work, and the speed limit was 55mph, and I'd see these patrol cars parked in the ditches with their lights off!

And then there's traversing "Arpaio land", which gives me the shivers just to drive in and around Phoenix.

I'm due for another trip to Tucson this winter, and I'm flying, as I'll never, ever, ever drive to Phoenix or Tucson again! Or maybe I will reconsider, if they finally ditch Arpaio!

Old 11-08-2016, 10:17 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,911,597 times
Also depends on how many are going-

Old 11-08-2016, 10:48 AM

9,478 posts, read 12,215,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
4-4.5 hours Las Vegas to Phoenix?????? God forbid, I'd never want to drive with you on that trip!

Have driven it too many times, and can never manage to get there any less than 6 hours! How on earth do you do it? You have a high-tech Fuzzbuster?

I've so grown to so hate driving, that if there were a flight from Las Vegas to Laughlin, I'd do it, even if I had to spend 2 hours in the Airports!! 95 miles!!!
Just did a generic Google search of Phoenix to Las Vegas and got these results:

4 h 37 min (298.6 mi) via US-93 N

https://www.google.com/#q=phoenix+to+las+vegas

That is assuming you are driving from the center of the city to the center of the city. I live slightly north of the center of Phoenix and shaves off some driving time easily.

Not sure how long ago you made the drive, but more and more 4 lane road is opening up all the time. It's a fairly easy drive. I average right around 4 hours. If you average 65 mph you should be able to make a 300 mile trip in 4.5 hours. From my house it is more like 280 miles. Averaging 65 mph = 4.31 hours. Average 70 mph = 4 hours.

Last edited by ElleTea; 11-08-2016 at 02:10 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 11:15 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,497,336 times
I think it depends on how many people you are going with. It's not worth driving long distances greater than 10+ hrs for just 2 people traveling. If you have 3 or more people you could save by driving but if it's cross country it's hard to say. I wouldn't want to drive for 2-3 days just to save a few hundred $.

1.5 day is the max I am willing to drive.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:32 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,952,920 times
Distance for me is not the issue (nor would cost effectiveness be) - but large oceans are a bit hard to cross in a car/truck. If I had to go overseas that would be the only time it would be more 'practical' for me not to drive.

But, just consider this ... 1 hour of flying is equivalent to approximately 8 hours of driving - which gets you at least 400 miles if you don't stop or dawdle. BUT, also remember that you must get to the airport, park, lug around your luggage, go through security, get transportation, etc. and all that takes time at both ends - and in many cases I think that it might not be 'practical' really for most people to fly when the trip is less than about 4 hours flying time (unless you hate driving, absolutely positively 'have to be there' at a certain time and/or you can't leave till the last minute).

Old 11-08-2016, 01:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,560 posts, read 57,481,475 times
so many reasons... distance is only one variable in the equation. I've lived in places 6+ hrs from an airport, so that matters too.

I have free fuel choices for driving, but I fly a lot (5 - 10x / month)

I love to fly,
I love to drive,
love to sail!

luv to GO!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:35 PM

7,932 posts, read 7,280,404 times
The 4 of us drove from Eastern PA to Minneapolis a few years ago. It was fun, and we definitely saved money. If it was just me, or just my wife and me, then it would have made sense to fly.

Of course, this is only for pleasure. For business then other factors have to be taken into account, like what time of day the client wants you there, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel