U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,691 times

Advertisements

Any advice on the best route from New Jersey to Bozeman Montana? Ill be going about Jan 15th. and driving a 20 foot U-Haul, towing a car. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:23 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,631,159 times
Best route for what? Just quick and efficient? Or scenic, passing nice places and towns with some good overnight stay options?

Old 11-10-2016, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,691 times
My biggest concern is the weather?

Old 11-10-2016, 05:14 PM

5,226 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Weather will be the same no matter what reasonably direct route you take. Best to start as soon as possible, and allow a couple extra days, just in case you get held up by weather. Stick to an all-Interstate route.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:53 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,058,256 times
70, 80, 90 or 94. It really depends on what the weather is like when you are traveling. Generally the more southernly the better but there could be ice storms and ground blizzards or sunny dry conditions. Give yourself a couple extra days of padding, don't drive in conditions you aren't comfortable with, check the tires on the rental very carefully and pack an emergency kit with blankets and food. You're moving to Montana don't be the joke from New Jersey who didn't take the blizzard and black ice seriously.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:32 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,436,379 times
Default Horrible time to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog20 View Post
Any advice on the best route from New Jersey to Bozeman Montana? Ill be going about Jan 15th. and driving a 20 foot U-Haul, towing a car. Thanks
Snow, ice, and extremely cold weather will be a constant but I guess you have no choice but to leave at that time of the year. Your best bet is to take I-80 west as it's flat for the most part. The mountains in NJ and PA are not that bad, no narrow curving mountain roads on that route.

If you're in southern NJ, then go through PA until you connect to I-80 in Central PA around Penn State/Happy Valley area. It's a straight shot pretty much. You'll hit tolls in part of PA unless you take the smaller highways on your route. Will definitely have tolls on I-80 in OH, IN (I think but the last time I was in Indiana I was driving north to south so I can't remember). Will hit Chicago traffic as you get into the Indiana-Greater Chicago area. After Chicago, traffic won't be a problem all the way to Montana. From the route you're going, Illinois won't be much to look at. Iowa is beautifully green with rolling hills in the summer but in January, I'd think not much to look at either.

Nebraska is nothing to look at from I-80 and it will seem to be a long expanse of boring nothingness (although there is some pretty scenery when you get off the interstate and into certain towns), then Wyoming and it gets exciting once you can see the mountains at a distance. Take I-25 North in WY up to Montana or whatever the freeway is that forks off towards Billings, MT. I forgot to ask what part of Montana. You could take the same route, 1-80 west and in Omaha, NE head north up to Sioux Falls, South Dakota and then continue west on I-90. It's 5% more exciting than Nebraska for about 20 minutes then it's not much different from the drudgery on I-80 until you hit Rapid City, SD. Then there will be scenery.

Snow, ice, BLACK ice which is the most treacherous even if you're on foot not to mention in a truck and pulling a car, and very cold weather will probably meet you every inch of the way as all the places you'll being traveling through get EXTREMELY cold in January. Good luck and safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or