U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:17 AM

154 posts, read 400,868 times

Advertisements

Tops on my list would be Glacier Park and the Canadian Rockies, Portugal, Seville, Bryce Canyon, and Valley of Fire in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 11:08 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Thanks for the completely unrelated response, I didn't question how easy it was or how affordable it was.

I was curious about what they saw. Everyone's experience on safaris is different and I'd be interested to hear about their experience, not a price breakdown.
Botticelli never contributes anything useful to this forum. He's nothing but an antagonist.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:16 PM

3,661 posts, read 6,483,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Botticelli never contributes anything useful to this forum. He's nothing but an antagonist.
I don''t 100% agree with that, but I don't understand the travel "snobbery" that goes on... Same as music, food, beer, cigars, pretty much anything that involves a choice. Anything that gives a person a way to look down on someone and to make themselves think they are superior.

The way I travel is the same as others, different than others, and changes depending on the destination. Sometimes I like going to a city and getting lost in a neighborhood. Sometimes I want to go to a resort and drink fruity drinks until I pass out. I am just happy to be traveling, and it makes me happy to see other people traveling, whether it is to BF Egypt or BF Kansas.

Lesson is... Travel the way you like and makes you happy, and don't worry about what other people are doing. If you aren't into touristy areas.. the more tourists that go there, the less will be in the unexplored places. If you don't feel safe somewhere, then don't go.. you'll be uncomfortable the whole time and what kind of vacation is that. If you need luxury accommodations, backpacking around Europe isn't going to be your cup of tea. If you just want to go to Paris, just go to Paris!!!

Last edited by IonRedline08; 11-28-2016 at 01:30 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 12:42 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,151,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Going on Safari in Africa - I could never dream that big over the things I would see.

Going back for the third time in 2018. Different areas of course.
Llieqiang isn't the only one who'd like more details! I'm considering a safari as a possibility for 2018.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:16 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Lesson is... Travel the way you like and makes you happy, and don't worry about what other people are doing. If you aren't into touristy areas.. the more tourists that go there, the less will be in the unexplored places. If you don't feel safe somewhere, then don't go.. you'll be uncomfortable the whole time and what kind of vacation is that. If you need luxury accommodations, backpacking around Europe isn't going to be your cup of tea. If you just want to go to Paris, just go to Paris!!!
Well said.

It is absurd that someone thinks visiting certain areas isn't traveling correctly, or that traveling a certain way isn't really international travel, or not going native means you'll get nothing out of the experience from a cultural perspective.

Travel is travel, there is no right or wrong.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:51 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,150,738 times
I'm considering a safari as a possibility for 2018. I'mvisiting myself SA next winter but I gave up the idea of making a saari, too expensive!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:15 AM

21,958 posts, read 22,104,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Should I add Munich to my Amsterdam trip?
IMO, you would be crazy not to. Munich is awesome. Be sure to visit the Hofbrauhaus. If you enjoy art museums (some people don't at all), the Alta Pinakotek is a great museum. I loved it.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:19 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,478,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Llieqiang isn't the only one who'd like more details! I'm considering a safari as a possibility for 2018.
We did a safari trip a few years ago as part of our South Africa travels. Our interests go way beyond a safari, so that was only one part of the trip. Here is a summary;

We flew into JNB. Then rented a car and drove to a resort on the Crocodile River near Malelane. We did both self driving tours of Kruger and guided day tours for a few days. I played golf at the Leopard Creek Country Club (it's in the top 100 in the world). We also drove around that area and visited some small towns and ate at some places that probably had never seen an American. We ate all kinds of game including kudu, crocodile, impala, zebra and springbok.

We then flew from Nelspruit to Cape Town. We spent several days there visiting wineries, playing golf and enjoying Cape Town. One day we drove down to the Cape of Good Hope. The food and wine was wonderful and cheap.

South Africa is one of our all time favorite trips.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:22 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,478,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm considering a safari as a possibility for 2018. I'mvisiting myself SA next winter but I gave up the idea of making a saari, too expensive!
If you are staying nearby, you can do day trips for very little money. I know it's not the same as traveling into the wild for several days but it's still spectacular.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:31 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
I've liked most places I've traveled to over the years. Forced to come up with a relatively short list, would have:

Paris
London
Vienna
Madrid
Florence
New York
New Orleans
Washington DC
Chicago
San Francisco
Toronto
Quebec City
Yellowstone/Grand Teton National Parks
Arches/Bryce/Zion National Parks
Grand Canyon National Park
Acadia National Park

Today, anyway. Fairly standard list, perhaps, but there it is. My travel joys include museums, historic homes and churches and other structures, interesting architecture, historic cemeteries, zoos and aquariums, parks both national (large) and city (small), baseball games, and good food.

Last edited by bachslunch; 12-03-2016 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or