Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:36 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,696,216 times

Advertisements

^For those who are interested, I'm flying United FYI. And I mentioned this earlier, but I booked the flight with miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 08:32 PM

810 posts, read 662,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So...I have etched out a rough draft of the day below. My goals are to visit 3 iconic places, eat three times (I travel to EAT lol), visit one local market or shopping center (or other place where there will be a higher percentage of locals than at the 3 touristy places I'll be visiting) and not feel extremely rushed doing it all. I think that's reasonable for just a 1 day intro to the city.

Anywho, here's what's in my head so far:

5:55 am-Arrive London Heathrow

8:30-9:30 am-Breakfast near Tower of London
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...detail=2297973

9:30 am-12:00-See the Crown Jewels and armor display at the Tower of London (audio tour)
Discover the Crown Jewels Exhibition At The Tower Of London | Historic Royal Palaces

Introducing The Line Of Kings & The Astonishing Armour On Display | Historic Royal Palaces

12:00-1:00-Get a few pics of/near the bridge

1:00-3:00-Visit St. Paul's Cathedral (audio tour)

3:00 until: Snack and people watching at Borough market
Home / Borough Market
The market closes at 6. I will have to play it by ear afterwards if my friend isn't available until later in the night to meet for dinner/head back to her place.

I think that accomplishes my above goals and is also enough to get more than a handful of nice photos while there as I love taking pictures. I like museums but the two exhibits at London Tower I think will be enough to fulfill that fix for this visit. I really wanted to do Westminster Abbey but I tried to keep everything in close proximity to each other.

Although I arrive at 6 am I see it could take a while to get to my first stop so I started my day at 8:30 am. Now I just need to figure out the bag situation as with the above agenda it makes sense for it to be left as close to where I'll be as possible.

Comments? Suggestions? Seem reasonable...?
I think it's possible that some on here are trying too hard to inject their own opinions and preferences instead of really listening to you. With the itinerary you've listed I think it's very doable ...it's a bit on the busy side and that's assuming that jet lag hasn't messed with you too bad. I'm a fast paced traveler......somebody who has pushed itineraries to their limits to "see more". Sounds like something I would have penciled in for myself actually. The only thing I would edit/suggest would be to swap St. Paul's Cathedral with Westminster Abbey. (maybe take a black cab) St. Paul's is amazing don't get me wrong but there's also a ton to see at Westminster Abbey which is very close to Parliament/ Big Ben if you were interested in checking that out from the outside.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:37 PM

23,304 posts, read 23,689,780 times
London has great museums and historical sites in the City Center.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I think it's possible that some on here are trying too hard to inject their own opinions and preferences instead of really listening to you. With the itinerary you've listed I think it's very doable ...it's a bit on the busy side and that's assuming that jet lag hasn't messed with you too bad. I'm a fast paced traveler......somebody who has pushed itineraries to their limits to "see more". Sounds like something I would have penciled in for myself actually. The only thing I would edit/suggest would be to swap St. Paul's Cathedral with Westminster Abbey. (maybe take a black cab) St. Paul's is amazing don't get me wrong but there's also a ton to see at Westminster Abbey which is very close to Parliament/ Big Ben if you were interested in checking that out from the outside.
Don't make me change my plans back to what I originally had them as.....

Originally the agenda did have Westminster Abbey in place of St. Paul's Cathedral.

However, if I go to Westminster Abbey, I would have to skip the market which I really wanted to do

I would have to go straight from Tower Bridge to Westminster Abbey because of the time that it closes. I wouldn't have the time nor would it probably make sense from what I'm seeing on the map to travel from Westminster Abbey practically back to the Tower Bridge area to partake in Borough market.

That's why I substituted it for St. Paul's cathedral because it's in the same general area as the market. I typically enjoy markets (because of the food/shopping ) and because I figured that would be the one place where I might be amongst at least as many locals as tourists perhaps....

Old 11-13-2016, 09:00 PM

13,259 posts, read 22,684,039 times
While I'm glad I saw the Tower of London because of all the history there, it just wasn't that interesting for me. If you discover similar, you can cut out early and there's a River Bus stop on the Thames right there and you can just relax and enjoy the view of the city. (Use the balance on a London transit Oyster card- you apparently can't directly pay at the boat)

Sightseeing and Leisure | Thames Clippers

http://www.thamesclippers.com/assets...e52dcaa36d.jpg

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/river

Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 AM

19,372 posts, read 27,603,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing regarding doing Westminster Abbey instead of St Paul's. I'd drop the display of armour at the Tower if necessary.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:08 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,044,933 times
This might sound crazy, but the only suggestion I have is actually adding something - the Museum of London, which is very near St Paul's. I'd personally do a self-guided tour of St. Paul's rather than the guided tour, and spend some of that time at the Museum of London instead. It's free admission there, so even if you kind of breeze through it, you still see some very interesting things without feeling like you've wasted any money.

But otherwise, I think your plan sounds fine. I am very similar in that I don't sleep too well on a plane but I do best just powering through that first day and getting adjusted to local time. You may have a bit of a rebound of tiredness on Day 2, so I wouldn't plan anything extremely taxing that day, but by Day 3, you should be just fine.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:12 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,014,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Don't make me change my plans back to what I originally had them as.....

Originally the agenda did have Westminster Abbey in place of St. Paul's Cathedral.

However, if I go to Westminster Abbey, I would have to skip the market which I really wanted to do

I would have to go straight from Tower Bridge to Westminster Abbey because of the time that it closes. I wouldn't have the time nor would it probably make sense from what I'm seeing on the map to travel from Westminster Abbey practically back to the Tower Bridge area to partake in Borough market.

That's why I substituted it for St. Paul's cathedral because it's in the same general area as the market. I typically enjoy markets (because of the food/shopping ) and because I figured that would be the one place where I might be amongst at least as many locals as tourists perhaps....
Ya know, Borough Market (a couple of blocks from the London Bridge station) to Westminster Abbey (Wetsminster station) is a 4-minute tube ride. And the Abbey is right outside the tube station (check out the Cloister of the Abbey, pretty interesting ... and quiet).

Old 11-14-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ya know, Borough Market (a couple of blocks from the London Bridge station) to Westminster Abbey (Wetsminster station) is a 4-minute tube ride. And the Abbey is right outside the tube station (check out the Cloister of the Abbey, pretty interesting ... and quiet).
That's good to know....so it wouldn't be too difficult to return to London Tower area via tube from Westminster Abbey then to check out the market?

Old 11-14-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This might sound crazy, but the only suggestion I have is actually adding something - the Museum of London, which is very near St Paul's. I'd personally do a self-guided tour of St. Paul's rather than the guided tour, and spend some of that time at the Museum of London instead. It's free admission there, so even if you kind of breeze through it, you still see some very interesting things without feeling like you've wasted any money.

But otherwise, I think your plan sounds fine. I am very similar in that I don't sleep too well on a plane but I do best just powering through that first day and getting adjusted to local time. You may have a bit of a rebound of tiredness on Day 2, so I wouldn't plan anything extremely taxing that day, but by Day 3, you should be just fine.
I'd love to add something but wouldn't you agree the agenda is already tight? With just 1 day I have to be realistic that it will take time to get to and from each of these places...travel time is included in the time frames mentioned, leaving less time than explicitly stated to actually tour the places I'm touring...

That's why my goal was 3 places and that's it...I'll have to return one day to 'really' do the place justice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel