U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:23 AM

1,106 posts, read 907,573 times

Advertisements

We have used them about 10 times, both in the US and abroad. All have been positive experiences. We have only done the whole house/apartment, though.
I have found the reviews to be pretty accurate, and we are sure to leave thorough reviews ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 09:09 AM

14,307 posts, read 15,127,911 times
We've used it three times and each time was a winner.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:51 AM

118 posts, read 97,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
I booked an Airbnb for this past week when I was in the Miami area and let's just say I left mid-stay due to a bug problem. Oddly enough, this Airbnb had a perfect rating with over 80+ reviews. However, the experience of going to an unknown neighborhood, if there are loud neighbors, not knowing how the place will smell, has really questioned if I'll ever try this service again.

Who has had positive/negative experiences with Airbnb?

I do air bnb with my house. And i used to do it more often when i didnt have room mates. I did get several people that did not like my house. And left mid way. Some women didn't feel safe and left. Some people complained of smell, others said it wasnt clean enough. There are a whole lot more complaining than praising in Airbnb. Alot has to do with what the guest wants in his head. People expect perfection, but unfortunatly its not perfect.

I have stayed at various air bnbs, and its fine. I make the assumption its someones house and its nor perfect. I like that. It has character.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:40 AM

50 posts, read 46,963 times
I've used airbnb three times now, in Amsterdam, Ibiza, and Tokyo. The best experience I had was in Amsterdam, there were 6 of us and we rented a house boat on one of the main canals, was super cheap considering and our host was great.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:52 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,543,222 times
One of my siblings has used this service a lot. The family has had mostly good experiences but one terrible one. They rented a house in Oregon to use when they were taking a child to college. The place bore no resemblance to the photos online. It was filthy, the furnishings were inadequate, no bed linens or toilet paper was provided. Several of the bedrooms had no windows and the house had no air conditioning. The windows that were there had no screens.

They had booked for multiple nights but only stayed for one. After they provided photos of what they got vs. what was advertised, they got their money back. But getting hotel accommodations that week in the town where the college is located proved to be impossible.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,226,428 times
I have booked a place for first time and haven't stayed there yet. My experience with Air BNB customer service has been terrible so far. Booked the place then they had a "glitch" in their website that showed the place was rented to another customer. We went back and forth with about 5 different reps over the phone and then the owner of the property and at the end of the day we had to bypass Air BNB and pay the owner directly for the rental because after about a week and 5 people Air BNB couldn't fix whatever "glitches" they had that wouldn't let our reservations go through. 2 of the people on the phone were extremely rude and what I would call "ghetto" and not just because they were black. They were argumentative and refused to let us talk to a supervisor or anyone else even though it was clear they had no idea how to do their job. And for a company that is supposedly a tech company who's business is 100% online I can't figure out how they can have major "glitches" (the word everyone kept using) on their website that they couldn't fix after a week. I'll never attempt to do business with them again

Old 11-15-2016, 03:34 PM

4,145 posts, read 1,886,778 times
When we visit our son, who is a Airbnb host,
We get to clean up after a guest and prepare for the next guest. So if you visit, you get to take up any issues with my wife, his mother.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,206,530 times
i have used it a fair amount the past 2 years and more frequently over this past summer- mostly ok some pretty nice (it feels like people have made an effort)- but we always rent out an entire unit or back cabin, not share with the owner or a roommate-
which I would recommend.

also did have one cautionary tale- sometimes I travel with a mobility-limited (heavy and has fallen in the past and not been able to get up vs wheelchair - bound) relative- and thank goodness this time around it wasn't them-

I skimmed through the listings (it was a last minute thing and we were trying to decide between a hotel room and a air bnb ...

BIG MISTAKE-
it did say something about steps but wow- it was a tiny (cute, clean and beautiful) little studio behind the main house built into a steep hillside-- over a hundred steps straight up, and no parking - you had to find street parking down ACCROSS the street at the bottom of the hill-

well we were in town over a legal matter, and did not feel comfortable leaving pounds of files in the car down the street so we were stuck schlepping them up the hill up all these tiny handmade stairs up and around the main house to the studio-- after 11 pm at night -- and then trying to find street parking ...!

so I would just say read the fine print- they were mentioned, but were NOT shown in the pics, cause I am guessing very few people would be willing to deal with the steps and the parking situation (the owners were also in the process of selling the property, I think the lack of car accessibility- there wasn't even a carport or driveway for the main house either-- was an issue for them too)...

Old 11-15-2016, 05:06 PM

922 posts, read 719,690 times
Used it once. I usually stay at the same hotel in CLE, but it was a busy weekend so I got an ABnB. I was on a weekend trip with a buddy to see football.

I booked an "entire" apt. Upon arrival, I was introduced to the guy's sister who lived in the other bedroom! My buddy and I are both successful 40+ year olds with families. There is NO way we would rent a shared space. We took off and paid a LOT for a hotel.

The owner stated that his place was always a shared space. I went back and forth with AirBnB a few times. I sent them the pics showing my bid and confirmation- both showing "entire" apt. They agreed that it was glitch on their end and offered a $50 credit. NOT going to happen. I paid over $350 for 2 nights.

I called my credit card company and within a few days they called and refunded my money.

From now on, it's back to the hotel.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:46 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,982,486 times
I would never use Airbnb!! Unregulated and unlicensed, seems to me you're just asking for a problem! No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or