U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:27 PM

497 posts, read 1,299,986 times

Advertisements

I used air Bnb for the first time last summer and it was just what we hoped for! They tend to be more unique, interesting places. When you look you can pick out the place that you want. You can have bad experiences with a any "rental' type service, whether Air bnb or VRBO.com What I liked about the Air bnb experience was being able to communicate often with the owner and that the owner does not get paid until I have checked into the home/room and am satisfied that it is as advertised. Certainly saves a lot of money vs. your normal hotel room!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 05:28 PM

238 posts, read 339,286 times
I have used Air B n B four times in the past. All of the situations were we shared space in the host's home. We had our own bedroom and a private bath, usually down a hall. Everytime the stay was pleasant, the home clean and comfortable. It may be a little weird for an introvert but being very gregarious I had no issues. We are planning a 16 day trip to Ireland this spring and will primarily used this service.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 AM

11,438 posts, read 6,419,116 times
Used it one time when I was in Boston, since the hotels there are just ridiculous...it was a very nice and clean accommodation but I had a lot less space then expected. Tried to sign up for a room another time only for the host to inform me that it was actually already booked, I asked me when it would be available again and he just didn't respond...I had to spend the night in a hostel. But that was a blessing in disguise, I've stayed in hostels ever since

Old 12-11-2016, 09:54 AM

3,213 posts, read 3,204,663 times
I've used it in Miami once and Hawaii twice. One time in Hawaii I wasn't all that impressed with the place but that was 'mostly' not the host's fault-I had booked really last minute and felt like I overpaid for the little I got.

Anyways, overall I've had great experiences. The property I rented in South Beach was inside of a hotel so I paid considerably less than if I had booked with the hotel.

I just returned from staying in a property in Waikiki that I liked a lot. I will always check AirBnB properties from now on first.

Tip: Me personally, I book last minute on purpose sometimes and contact the host and ask for 20% off or so...most of the time they meet me half way as I choose properties that look like they might sit unrented so the host might be willing to negotiate.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:55 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,158,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of course the Air BnB ratings are different and highly inflated, as the Customer rates FIRST, and is THEN rated by the host.
I have been using airbnb for the last several years staying at close to a dozen or so places and this IS NOT MY EXPERIENCE.

In all cases, airbnb notified me when the host/hostess left a review and informed me that the reviews could not be seen until AFTER BOTH SIDES had posted reviews.

Our experience with airbnb has been mostly positive and some were just wonderful. We chose airbnb stays not for the cost but for the opportunity to learn about the local areas during our WA relocation scouting trips and at Winwich, Chesire to learn about my husband's ancestors.

The main negative thing about airbnb is that unlike regular B&B, the second b does not mean always mean breakfast for some hosts. It's a rare thing that the host/hostess provides a hot breakfast. It is usually some cereals or bagels or some breakfast snacks. So far, we got wonderful full hot breakfast B&B style only twice (at the Winwick village and at Grand Junction).

Aside from opportunity to learn about the areas, we also got to stay in some unique or beautiful residence (lake front, oceans/mountain views, unusual architectural homes etc.) at very reasonable prices.

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-11-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 03:33 PM

13,052 posts, read 15,412,261 times
I looked at AirBNB but was scared off by the hosts who canceled bookings. I didn't want to take a chance of a host deciding to cancel and leaving my family homeless in California. I ended up renting through HomeAway instead. It just seemed safer than AirBNB.

I have rented through VRBO before and had a great experience, and HomeAway (which VRBO is under now, I guess) was a great experience too.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:53 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,204,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I looked at AirBNB but was scared off by the hosts who canceled bookings. I didn't want to take a chance of a host deciding to cancel and leaving my family homeless in California. I ended up renting through HomeAway instead. It just seemed safer than AirBNB.

I have rented through VRBO before and had a great experience, and HomeAway (which VRBO is under now, I guess) was a great experience too.
Any time a reservation is cancelled, it 'has' to be cancelled by the host, right? Because only the host has that 'function'?

Is that why you're seeing all of those cancelled bookings?

Old 12-12-2016, 03:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,651 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I have been using airbnb for the last several years ... We chose airbnb stays not for the cost but for the opportunity to learn about the local areas ...
Aside from opportunity to learn about the areas, we also got to stay in some unique or beautiful residence (lake front, oceans/mountain views, unusual architectural homes etc.) at very reasonable prices.
next time try that with Hospitality hosts who have a passion to SERVE & host you, you might be impressed (For $0 - $20 for often a very beautiful guest house, but always a WELCOME reception and pleasant stay)

Cost is certainly the LEAST concern, but true friendship and hospitality (no profit motive) is to be treasured.

YMMV, but in Thousands of stays, I know my preferred and proven tastes and experiences.

Enjoy yours!
and 'good luck'

Old 12-12-2016, 05:50 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Cost is a concern but really not the only one.

I am very tired of the usual chain hotels with their professional politeness and the sameness of rooms and services. So whenever I go to a different city, I do airBnB. All my experiences have been positive (not necessarily perfect but all quite good). You get to talk to the owner and see how people live. I don't mind sharing the bathroom either. I need for like 20 minutes a day anyway.

I also use blablacar in Europe which is fantastic. It is half or 1/3 of train prices and you get to talk to local people for a couple of hours. It is just a great option. Some might say what if the driver is a pervert or something, come on, you have the chance to run into pervert anyway, any time. Life is not worth spent in worry about all these 0.0001% risks.

There are several times I booked an airbnb while already on the way to the place. A little spontaneity is fun.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:45 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,091,058 times
I've used it 6 times since 2014. Only had 1 unhappy experience & even that experience could have been worse.

I love it for the most part. Originally I looked into it because being on a trip for a full week I wanted my space from my friend. Being in a hotel you really don't have that. But your own bed room can really pay dividends if you're going to have downtime.

Take advantage of the filters to find a place that meets your needs. I like places with kitchens so you can save money by eating breakfast at home and other meals. Parking is a big plus too.

Downfall are a lot of local cities are getting tired of airnbnb so they are taxing people more or even trying to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or