Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 05:09 AM

227 posts, read 247,052 times

Advertisements

I'll be arriving into DC late Wednesday, 11/23 and leaving super early Saturday, 11/26. That only gives me two full days to see the "MUSTS"

Here's what I'm not interested in:
- I don't care about Thanksgiving dinner, as it's just myself and I'd rather be exploring the area
- Art or military museums
- Famous restaurants or shopping

I obviously want to see the WH, The National Mall, etc. Also, The Holocaust Memorial is at the top of my list of museums. If there are any museums that are hands on or interactive, I'd be interested in seeing those.

If anyone can offer advice on places to go, I'd love to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 03:21 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
The US Botanic Garden, near the Capitol reflecting pool, is one of the few places open on Thanksgiving, and is basically a lovely conservatory.

Beyond that, you have many choices but let me mention my favorite - the Reynolds center, AKA Smithsonian American Art Museum/National Portrait Gallery. Beautiful glass ceiling courtyard with a cafe for lunch. Great place a few blocks north of the National Gallery, another must see.

My list of places to skip? Museum of American Indian, American History Museum, National Museum of Natural History until they re-open the dino hall in 2019, but YMMV.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:27 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times
The Spy Museum and Newseum are both well worth visiting, and both are hands on and interactive. Unlike the Smithsonian Museums and National Gallery, there is a charge. Still worth it imo.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:16 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Do you have a ticket to tour the White House? You must get a ticket no less than 21 days in advance.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/participate/tours-and-events

I agree, the Newseum, the Botanic Gardens, Spy Museum.

You don't say where you are staying or what your transportation arrangements are, but getting around in DC is challenging. You'll want to plan to use the Metro, or get a ticket for one of those hop on/hop off tour buses (there are lots of double deckers now)

Old 11-13-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Do you have a ticket to tour the White House? You must get a ticket no less than 21 days in advance.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/participate/tours-and-events

I agree, the Newseum, the Botanic Gardens, Spy Museum.

You don't say where you are staying or what your transportation arrangements are, but getting around in DC is challenging. You'll want to plan to use the Metro, or get a ticket for one of those hop on/hop off tour buses (there are lots of double deckers now)
You can tour the WH?! I thought they did away with that! Well, that sucks

I'll be staying at the Hampton in Arlington. A plus is it provides shuttle service to the airport. I didn't even want to deal with the hassle of renting a car, so I'll just be doing Uber or Lyft.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:52 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
You can tour the WH?! I thought they did away with that! Well, that sucks

I'll be staying at the Hampton in Arlington. A plus is it provides shuttle service to the airport. I didn't even want to deal with the hassle of renting a car, so I'll just be doing Uber or Lyft.
I second the Spy Museum. I would also take advantage of the Metro. There's also the Air and Space Museum out near Dulles Airport in Chantilly.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:51 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
The Smithsonian museums are open on Thanksgiving day but pretty much all of the private museums like the the Spy Museum and Newseum are closed that day. You can take tour of Congress on Friday, but it could be a long wait, probably too late to book anything through your own Representative.

Check out the National Cathedral, you can go up in the observation tower and get a great view of the city (esp. now that the Washington Monument is closed).

And I second the hop on, hop off bus tours. We found that a great way to see the city when we were there this summer. Not sure what availability there is over the holiday, but we really enjoyed the nighttime tour of the monuments.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Check out the National Cathedral, you can go up in the observation tower and get a great view of the city (esp. now that the Washington Monument is closed).
Awesome tip! Thank you!

Old 11-15-2016, 05:06 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I think the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum would be a good choice if you are interested in this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel