Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:14 PM

93 posts, read 64,064 times

Advertisements

In your experience or opinion, what are the best places to visit in the US that offer fun/unique things to do (while still being affordable)?

My friends and are we thinking about an eventual road trip next spring and were trying to think of some places to add to our list...

(We range in age from early 20s-early 30s, and are all "creative" types... writers, artists, photographers, etc). But we are also on a modest budget....

Please feel free to voice/share whatever you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,110,773 times
That's a pretty general question in a huge country like the US.
What city/country will you be coming from, how many days do you have, and what is your budget?
"Affordable" means different things to different people.

Try narrowing it down some: http://www.budgettravel.com/trip-ideas/road-trips/

Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 PM

93 posts, read 64,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
That's a pretty general question in a huge country like the US.
What city/country will you be coming from, how many days do you have, and what is your budget?
"Affordable" means different things to different people.

Try narrowing it down some: Trip Ideas / Road Trips | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Travel Advice, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel

We are all from the Midwest (small farm towns mainly). I plan on saving up about $450 (max).

(We would all be sharing one vehicle, taking turns driving, and each "pitch in" for gas.)

We'd prefer to stay in (cheap/older) hotels/motels so we can spend most of our time (and money) exploring...

Timeframe would be about a week on the road.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Cape Cod, Boston

can all be done cheap and very fun.

DC has 1,000 miles of bike trails nearby, FREE museums / national sites, cemetery, good metro, good food...
Blossom time or Memorial Day is pretty impressive. DC is really great. We split up in AM, meet for lunch and share surprises in the afternoon. Our kids also loved our trips there, they were on their own once age 12+.

Join Hosteling (cheap individually, but pretty expensive when added up) Camping might be CHEAP, but takes a lot of gear., or a Guest Home directory (Servas, FREE Worldwide hosts). I have been 'farm hosted' for over 25 yrs and have had a great time! Especially in Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy... (Round the world from Oct 2015 until July 2016, VERY inexpensively)

Old 11-14-2016, 06:52 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,277,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee_88 View Post
In your experience or opinion, what are the best places to visit in the US that offer fun/unique things to do (while still being affordable)?

My friends and are we thinking about an eventual road trip next spring and were trying to think of some places to add to our list...

(We range in age from early 20s-early 30s, and are all "creative" types... writers, artists, photographers, etc). But we are also on a modest budget....

Please feel free to voice/share whatever you like.
1. The national parks. My favorite ones are Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, and Yosemite.

2. The Smithsonian Museums in Washington D.C. Air and Space Museum, National Archives, and Museum of American History are just a few of them. Also, all the monuments in Washington D.C. are essentially free of charge as well.

3. Beaches are generally inexpensive. My favorite ones are in Florida and Southern California.

4. You could have a nice trip driving the Blue Ridge Parkway from Shenandoah National Park in Virginia to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee for the cost of the gasoline.

You don't say where in the country that you are. That information would help us put together some affordable destinations for you.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:00 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,972,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
1. The national parks. My favorite ones are Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, and Yosemite.
I have to second, third, and fourth this! The western US is stunning, and (especially if you like camping) can be visited without breaking the bank.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:26 PM

11,783 posts, read 12,017,594 times
Route 66, NM-CA.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,813,977 times
A National Parks 'America the Beautiful' annual pass runs $80 and covers admission (but not camping fees) to a really wide variety of NPS-administered sites for everyone in the vehicle. Have someone in your group buy one and sign the back of it at the first stop if you do the Parks trek.

Spring, even late spring ,is a little early for the best of Glacier and some of the other high elevation/northern tier parks. On the bright side, avoiding peak summer tourism times is a big help in finding cheaper lodging. Would probably either start in Vegas and do the classic Las Vegas-Zion NP-Grand Canyon-Flagstaff-Sedona-Las Vegas loop, or Denver to Las Vegas and stopping at Arches, Moab, Zion, etc. on the way.

Las Vegas hotel prices are all over the price depending on weekday vs. weekend and which circus (major convention) is in town that day. I'm neither a gambler nor a club&shows person, but it's worth 18-36 hours just because it's iconic and all.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:36 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
A National Parks 'America the Beautiful' annual pass runs $80 and covers admission (but not camping fees) to a really wide variety of NPS-administered sites for everyone in the vehicle. Have someone in your group buy one and sign the back of it at the first stop if you do the Parks trek.

Spring, even late spring ,is a little early for the best of Glacier and some of the other high elevation/northern tier parks. On the bright side, avoiding peak summer tourism times is a big help in finding cheaper lodging. Would probably either start in Vegas and do the classic Las Vegas-Zion NP-Grand Canyon-Flagstaff-Sedona-Las Vegas loop, or Denver to Las Vegas and stopping at Arches, Moab, Zion, etc. on the way.

Las Vegas hotel prices are all over the price depending on weekday vs. weekend and which circus (major convention) is in town that day. I'm neither a gambler nor a club&shows person, but it's worth 18-36 hours just because it's iconic and all.
Great idea! Covers a lot of area and inexpensive. Doubting if they can do much of this in one week. They are going to lose many days driving.

OP how many of you and will each of you have at least $450.00? One vehicle?

Old 11-15-2016, 09:20 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,330,064 times
I also loved the national parks, and I would highly recommend those to anyone coming to the US.

One 2-week tour I made was starting in Salt Lake city, covering Zion, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Page (AZ), Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches and then Rocky Mountains and all the way back to Salt Lake.

A second tour also included Yellowstone, Badlands, the Wind Cave, Mt. Rushmoore (which was actually rather disappointing) and some of the first parks.

A third tour started in Carlsbad, NM including Carlsbad Cave, Alamogordo, White Sands NM, Albuquerque (Sandia Peak), Santa Fe, some more national parks in this area and then Great Sand Dunes further north, last for that tour were Black Canyon and Colorado National Monument.

Even though I made 3 of this 2-weeks-each tours, I never get bored of the all the amazing nature, landscape and small towns. I could do that for months.

The $80 America the beautiful pass is highly recommended. I also liked the mountains of Colorado and included some stops in Vail or Aspen, they are often giving out great deals for luxury hotels in the summer to get at least some rooms filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel