Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
If you're going to comment, say something I already didn't know. This is more along the lines of possible fraud and scamming someone, so no need for the slick remarks
Let's put it this way. Let's say this wasn't a rental car company but a private party. How do you prevent them from scamming you after you damaged their property?
You get their info, fill out a report to your insurance company, and take pics, right? Then you wait until they get repair estimates to see whether they are scamming you.

I'm sure to you it was "minor damage" but to the owner of the property you damaged will think otherwise. Prepare to pay for the days the rental car is out of commission for repairs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 04:21 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
I'm trying to not use my insurance as A) I have a perfect driving record and don't want it affecting my premium and B) The damage may not even come out to my deductible, it's that insignificant.

I've rented out many vehicles without the use of a credit card, I don't know why you think that's the only form of payment. Also, they even returned my deposit. The deposit was held in case I brought the car back late, if I didn't bring the car back at all, if the gas tank was empty, etc. Don't ask me why it was returned but that's A-OK with me.
I was really trying to guage how much negotiating power you had. If you used a debit card and they took out $2,000 in anticipation of damage then you are already screwed (which is why boys and girls - don't use debit cards). Credit cards are much more protected.
But if you paid nothing for the damage yet - like I said you hold the cards and have really no fear of being ripped off.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:21 PM

423 posts, read 609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Wait until they're done with their damage estimate.
Quote:
If you're going to comment, say something I already didn't know. This is more along the lines of possible fraud and scamming someone, so no need for the slick remarks
I agree with jaypee. You don't even know what the car rental company will do and what is the quote for repair, and you are already speculating "along the lines of possible fraud and scamming someone". Seems like your jumping the gun...

Old 11-16-2016, 07:10 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
I'd rather not say on a public forum (as I think it's against forum rules as well). You can send a PM if you really want to know.
As long as it's no Alamo cuz I am picking up a rental minivan from them tomorrow.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Quote:
What a weird response. The post was accurate- there is nothing you can do until they've sent you a damage estimate. The only thing you could have done differently was to get a damage estimate at a body shop while you still had the car.

Now, all you can do is wait.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:12 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Call your Insurance company. Good lord. I promise you one accident on a perfect record is not going to raise your premium. Not sure why people are so paranoid about that. I've made 2 insurance claims and my premium hasn't gone up one penny.
This is why you pay for insurance.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:33 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Call your Insurance company. Good lord. I promise you one accident on a perfect record is not going to raise your premium. Not sure why people are so paranoid about that. I've made 2 insurance claims and my premium hasn't gone up one penny.
This is why you pay for insurance.
Why would you call your insurance company before you've even received a bill for the damage?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Fraud? Nothing has happened yet. You are panicking over what has not yet happened. See what they say after they assess the damage then panic or not depending on what happens.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:40 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Since you didn't put it on a credit card with protection and don't want to go through your insurance company you have no one else to advocate on your behalf. It sounds like this company has more experience in this and you may need to decide if you want to get your insurance involved or get an attorney if the estimate comes back high. I hope you took photos of the damage.
Unless I'm missing something, I've never been able to rent a car without a plastic card that said Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Amex on it. Now, I have used my debit card before, but that still says Visa. It is my understanding that the benefits are the same no matter from Visa if the card is debit or credit.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:58 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Why would you call your insurance company before you've even received a bill for the damage?
Because once the insurance company gets involved, I have feeling they'll change their tune a bit. If it's just you -- a single person -- they aren't too inclined to be very helpful. I'd call my insurance and let them loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel