Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:10 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Unless I'm missing something, I've never been able to rent a car without a plastic card that said Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Amex on it. Now, I have used my debit card before, but that still says Visa. It is my understanding that the benefits are the same no matter from Visa if the card is debit or credit.
Exactly.

Something is off here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 10:10 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Well of course they rented the car again. This will not be settled immediately. They will send you a letter asking for your insurance information. Then you need to decide whether it goes to your insurance company or whether you are willing to pay (an unknown) amount yourself. By the way- with MOST credit cards and in the US your own car insurance is primary. You can get a credit card with enhanced coverage that is primary so nothing goes to your insurance company. Too late this time.
Such a good post. If you are renting cars frequently and your company doesnt force you to put it on a company credit card, then it can certainly be worth it to obtain a card that offers primary rental car coverage as rational mentions.

Here are a couple of lists of them:
Primary rental car coverage credit cards: A list and pitfalls | MileCards.com

Credit Cards With Primary Rental Car Insurance | Million Mile Secrets

Credit Cards That Offer Primary Car Rental Coverage

Old 11-17-2016, 02:13 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
It is just a car. Hundreds go in and out every day. One of them gets a ding the size of your hand. Meh. Make sure there are no bodies in the truck and put it out again.

Don't make so much of a scene over something that the guys at the rental company could care less about.

Shhhhh..... might be your best strategy.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
It is just a car. Hundreds go in and out every day. One of them gets a ding the size of your hand. Meh. Make sure there are no bodies in the truck and put it out again.

Don't make so much of a scene over something that the guys at the rental company could care less about.

Shhhhh..... might be your best strategy.
Agreed. Getting all proactive and yelling "bill me bill me" definitely won't make the situation any better. OP's attitude might be OP's downfall in this situation...

Old 11-17-2016, 03:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
You damaged somebody else's car, now you have to pay to fix it. You also have to pay for the loss of use while it is being repaired in the shop and if the resale value is impacted as a result of the accident, you are liable for the difference. It's not a very difficult concept to grasp.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:00 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You damaged somebody else's car, now you have to pay to fix it. You also have to pay for the loss of use while it is being repaired in the shop and if the resale value is impacted as a result of the accident, you are liable for the difference. It's not a very difficult concept to grasp.
Agreed, unfortunately you don't having much leverage over what they are going to charge you. As the last poster stated, it's not just the damage their going to charge you, but also for loss of use. Depending on that, it could be a lot. Trust me, you will hear from them soon and I also suggest you put in a claim with your insurance company. Actually, they might have already called your insurance as they have a right to put in a claim against you. When you declined their insurance did they ask you for a copy if your insurance card? Anyway, just makes sense to do. Insurance companies know how to get around a scam, but bottom line you're liable anyway.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Call your Insurance company. Good lord. I promise you one accident on a perfect record is not going to raise your premium. Not sure why people are so paranoid about that. I've made 2 insurance claims and my premium hasn't gone up one penny.
This is why you pay for insurance.
Same here. And several speeding tickets. No change.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:21 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Unless I'm missing something, I've never been able to rent a car without a plastic card that said Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Amex on it. Now, I have used my debit card before, but that still says Visa. It is my understanding that the benefits are the same no matter from Visa if the card is debit or credit.
Receive auto coverage for damage due to collision or theft. To activate the coverage, complete the entire rental transaction with your eligible Visa card and decline the rental company's collision damage waiver (CDW) coverage if offered by the auto rental company. Available to all Visa Standard Credit, Visa Rewards Credit, Visa Signature®, Visa Signature Preferred® and Visa Premium Rewards cardholders. It may also be available on other card products, call your issuer to see if you have this benefit.

It doesn't look like debit cards are covered at all unless your bank pays for the coverage.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I backed a rental into a post once and damaged the trunk. I just took it to a body shop, they fixed it overnight for $300, and repainted the panel. Nobody was the wiser.

One time at Enterprise in Vegas there was a car with several BULLET holes. The clerk told me they get about one a month with bullet holes! Yikes!

Old 11-18-2016, 03:55 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I backed a rental into a post once and damaged the trunk. I just took it to a body shop, they fixed it overnight for $300, and repainted the panel. Nobody was the wiser.
You were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel