U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2016, 07:37 AM
 
Location: South Florida
202 posts, read 124,654 times
Reputation: 175

Advertisements

I got into a VERY minor accident while traveling. Of course, I declined the rental company's insurance as I had my own, and I didn't put it on my CC, as the rental company had a very high deposit. Well, after turning in the car, no one could give me an estimate for the damage. I will say I am trying to avoid going through my insurance. While other people were turning in their cars, they were coming up to me and stated that they had the feeling the company was going to try and make $$$$$ off of me. I can tell you that the damage done was no bigger than the size of my hand.


Another 20 minutes go by and I am then shuttled off the lot to the airport. As I was leaving the lot, I look over to the rental car section and was horrified. Unless the company has two cars in the exact same model and color, they were renting that car out again with damage on it. I then google the company name and location and saw that they got horrific reviews and hundreds of people complained that this company have tried scamming them for damages that they didn't cause.


When I try and call this location directly, it goes to their corporate number and I have to leave a message on their voicemail. When I try and email the claims person I met onsite, she is refusing to answer when an estimate will be done or if the car was rented out again.


What can I do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: On the sunny side of a mountain
3,185 posts, read 7,066,615 times
Reputation: 6571
Since you didn't put it on a credit card with protection and don't want to go through your insurance company you have no one else to advocate on your behalf. It sounds like this company has more experience in this and you may need to decide if you want to get your insurance involved or get an attorney if the estimate comes back high. I hope you took photos of the damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 08:31 AM
 
Location: South Florida
202 posts, read 124,654 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Since you didn't put it on a credit card with protection and don't want to go through your insurance company you have no one else to advocate on your behalf. It sounds like this company has more experience in this and you may need to decide if you want to get your insurance involved or get an attorney if the estimate comes back high. I hope you took photos of the damage.
Oh I definitely took photos. As soon as I wrote this and submitted it to the forum, I just realized I'm going to be visiting the area again in a couple weeks. Can you say I heard angels singing lol. My butt is going to their location day one when I get into town. You would hope I would have some sort of communication by the agency way before then, but worst case scenario, I can confront them in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 AM
 
12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Reputation: 19160
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Oh I definitely took photos. As soon as I wrote this and submitted it to the forum, I just realized I'm going to be visiting the area again in a couple weeks. Can you say I heard angels singing lol. My butt is going to their location day one when I get into town. You would hope I would have some sort of communication by the agency way before then, but worst case scenario, I can confront them in person.
So I am unclear - are you going to use your insurance or not? If your insurance then just let them handle it, you would only be responsible for the deductible. If not then you just need to do your due dillegence which includes contesting the repair charge or asking for support for the repair claim.
How did you rent a car without a credit card? It's also unclear - have you paid anything for the damage yet? If not (and that's pretty strange), then you have ALOT of control on contesting the repair charges, you hold the cards, even more then if you paid by CC.

The fact that they rented out the car again I don't think is relevant. That's not your concern unless of course the car gets additional damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 10:52 AM
 
2,593 posts, read 5,292,786 times
Reputation: 5194
Well of course they rented the car again. This will not be settled immediately. They will send you a letter asking for your insurance information. Then you need to decide whether it goes to your insurance company or whether you are willing to pay (an unknown) amount yourself. By the way- with MOST credit cards and in the US your own car insurance is primary. You can get a credit card with enhanced coverage that is primary so nothing goes to your insurance company. Too late this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 12:52 PM
 
4,417 posts, read 1,646,121 times
Reputation: 1538
What company is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 02:38 PM
 
Location: South Florida
202 posts, read 124,654 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
So I am unclear - are you going to use your insurance or not? If your insurance then just let them handle it, you would only be responsible for the deductible. If not then you just need to do your due dillegence which includes contesting the repair charge or asking for support for the repair claim.
How did you rent a car without a credit card? It's also unclear - have you paid anything for the damage yet? If not (and that's pretty strange), then you have ALOT of control on contesting the repair charges, you hold the cards, even more then if you paid by CC.

The fact that they rented out the car again I don't think is relevant. That's not your concern unless of course the car gets additional damage.
I'm trying to not use my insurance as A) I have a perfect driving record and don't want it affecting my premium and B) The damage may not even come out to my deductible, it's that insignificant.

I've rented out many vehicles without the use of a credit card, I don't know why you think that's the only form of payment. Also, they even returned my deposit. The deposit was held in case I brought the car back late, if I didn't bring the car back at all, if the gas tank was empty, etc. Don't ask me why it was returned but that's A-OK with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 02:40 PM
 
Location: South Florida
202 posts, read 124,654 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What company is this?
I'd rather not say on a public forum (as I think it's against forum rules as well). You can send a PM if you really want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 03:23 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,411,228 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
What can I do???
Wait until they're done with their damage estimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2016, 03:26 PM
 
Location: South Florida
202 posts, read 124,654 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Wait until they're done with their damage estimate.
If you're going to comment, say something I already didn't know. This is more along the lines of possible fraud and scamming someone, so no need for the slick remarks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top