Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 03:27 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times

Advertisements

I thought this was a cool slideshow and informative...there was a few countries I never really would have guessed and has piqued my curiosity in them. Since at my age I also never plan to learn another language other than some basic Spanish that I work on...it's good for me, and some others as well I hope.

Top 20 countries where English travels well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
How boring. Try going someplace where no one speaks english, and have a bit of adventure. One place with no english is quite close - the Charlevoix region of Quebec. Ordered meals by pointing...

Old 11-23-2016, 08:39 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
I don't really find a total language barrier enjoyable it can be dangerous depending on where you are...and I like to be able to communicate, especially with women.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:32 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
You can tell how many English speaking tourists there are in Argentina just by looking at the prices

Old 11-23-2016, 12:32 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
English travels well just about everywhere in the world, at least in well known tourist spots and/or business offices.
At this point in global history, it's the closest thing we have to a global standard universal language.

Singapore...LOL, well yeah, thanks Einstein who wrote the article. English is the official language (1 of the 4). That's like saying you will have no problem with English in Scotland.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
English travels well just about everywhere in the world
This. They might as well have listed "earth" and be done with it.

If you see two Germans checking into a hotel in Panama how will they be communicating with the desk clerk? Broken English. If you see a Chinese family in Thailand trying to explain to a tuk-tuk driver where they want to go? English. Brazilian guy in Bali trying to rent a jet ski? English.

Etc.

Also that list is bunk, you don't need to learn Khmer to travel in Cambodia or Laotian to travel in Laos. Cambodia gets millions of foreign tourists, I doubt more than a handful even learned to say hello or thank you.

Last edited by lieqiang; 11-23-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 11-23-2016, 05:09 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
How boring. Try going someplace where no one speaks english, and have a bit of adventure. One place with no english is quite close - the Charlevoix region of Quebec. Ordered meals by pointing...
So you find traveling around in a 1st world developed country "adventurous" because English isn't widely spoken so you had to point at the menu, but someone backpacking across Pakistan or Nepal is doing something boring because so many people can speak English?

Old 11-24-2016, 04:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Singapore...LOL, well yeah, thanks Einstein who wrote the article. English is the official language (1 of the 4). That's like saying you will have no problem with English in Scotland.
English is also an official language in Hong Kong and well... It's certainly not spoken by everyone... Quite to the contrary.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I'm surprised Malta didn't make the cut. Actually I'm not. Those articles made of lists are subjective. English is spoken by about 88% of the Maltese people. In fact, my wife and I are considering Malta for retirement. The weather is glorious year round, it's affordable with a high standard of living, and there isn't an immediate need to learn another language.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:36 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
English is also an official language in Hong Kong and well... It's certainly not spoken by everyone... Quite to the contrary.
Hong Kong is not a country, and English is not spoken by everyone in the US either. I go to Singapore quite regularly, and am aware of the multi-cultural, multi-language aspect of Singapore (and also about "singlesh").

BUT for the purposes of this discussion - being that roadsigns in Singapore are in English, local TV is in English, stores have English signs, resteraunts have English menus, people speak English on the street, school teach in English, many citizens speak English at home between family members, government business is conducted in English - Singapore is an English speaking country, and thus it makes it particularly distinct from the other countries mentioned in the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel