Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:57 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to go to Finland for a week this coming summer, and will spend probably 100% of that time in Helsinki. I'm going there to attend a convention, so it just makes sense to spend my free days prior to the convention starting just checking out the city (as I've never been there before). Although I may take a day trip to Tallinn, in which case I'll be visiting two countries and visiting just one city in each.

Most large cities have enough to do to keep a tourist occupied for several days, so if the trip's going to be short, why not spend it in just one place? And if it's longer, then go to the places that most interest you; if that means seeing only one city per country, that's fine, too. You can always go back another time and see more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 12:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Good question ["Why Brussels?"]. It was suggested to me by a friend who's a world traveler, but I still need to research. Its also close to Amsterdam by train. I'm a newbie traveling around Europe, so a little nervous about navigating it properly.

Munich was a possibility as well, but again, the only thing I KNOW I'm doing, is going to Amsterdam. So what would you recommend for a single, introverted guy who would like to meet some fun people and enjoy some different culture? Trip will be between 10-14 days, depending on where I ultimately decide to go and flights.

Paris isn't out of the question by any means. Might be a good place to end the trip. Start in Amsterdam and end in Paris, or vice versa, with another city in between.
We've been to Amsterdam twice. First time made Amsterdam our base for the entire trip. Rented an airbnb and took day trips to Cologne and some of the smaller towns.

Second time we had 2 weeks. Spent 3 nights in Amsterdam, 2 in Antwerp (skip it), 2 in Bruges (awesome), 1 in Ghent (also loved!), 2 in the Hague, 1 in Mechelen (also cool!), 2 in Brussels. But I'd highly recommend doing Belgium and the Netherlands for 2 wks. It was very manageable and easy to get around even when you don't know or speak dutch. The longest train we took was 2 1/2 hours or so. If you want further recommendations shoot me a message. We've done Amsterdam in both winter and summer and both were great. Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2016, 01:28 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
We've been to Amsterdam twice. First time made Amsterdam our base for the entire trip. Rented an airbnb and took day trips to Cologne and some of the smaller towns.

Second time we had 2 weeks. Spent 3 nights in Amsterdam, 2 in Antwerp (skip it), 2 in Bruges (awesome), 1 in Ghent (also loved!), 2 in the Hague, 1 in Mechelen (also cool!), 2 in Brussels. But I'd highly recommend doing Belgium and the Netherlands for 2 wks. It was very manageable and easy to get around even when you don't know or speak dutch. The longest train we took was 2 1/2 hours or so. If you want further recommendations shoot me a message. We've done Amsterdam in both winter and summer and both were great. Enjoy!
How was Cologne? I am going in May to Amsterdam with a friend who has never been there. We are there for about 10 days, and weighing our options.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:49 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I never liked Paris.

Always found it odd that they are so proud of the Louvre, when its filled with stolen art. Plus its more like a trip to an amusement park than a real museum.

Decent food and drink is very expensive. And the service is crap.

The people are mostly rude.

I would argue its true that if you have only been to Paris then you haven't been to France. The rest of France isn't like Paris at all.

Sure, its not all bad. But there just isn't enough good to redeem it.

I am sure that if your fabulously wealthy, speak fluent French and have the juice/connections to get into the best spots its a great place. But most of us don't live in that world.
I found Paris' reputation for being rude and expensive to be untrue stereotype. But then again, it depends on where you're coming from. If you're visiting from Kentucky for example, then yes, everything in Paris will be much more expensive compared to Kentucky. But you can have a decent meal in Paris without breaking the bank if you stay away from the tourist traps, you just have to look around. Not to mention you'll get better food quality compared to what you pay for at a restaurant back home.

I also found the Parisians to be helpful and polite, and they're always curious to learn about you when you engage them in a conversation, and I don't even speak French.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I live in Southern California and have never been to Europe. I have only been to Mexico and Tijuana at that.

We do visit the LA area often and within the city of Los Angeles you could spend months visiting and not see it all. I would bet that a visit to London or Paris for a week would not make one an expert on the city visited, just too much to see in one week. Even if you were to try out seven different places for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, that is only 21 dining experiences.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:07 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I found Paris' reputation for being rude and expensive to be untrue stereotype. But then again, it depends on where you're coming from. If you're visiting from Kentucky for example, then yes, everything in Paris will be much more expensive compared to Kentucky.
Right, its because I am an illiterate redneck hick from small town nowhere. Got it.

I don't mind spending the money if I get the food, service and experience to go with it. Was just in Rome earlier this month and spent about $90 - $120 per dinner for two not including any alcohol. I know thats not making it rain or anything, lol. But for that price I have expectations. The food was great. The service was outstanding.

For me, Paris ranks right up there with India on places I never want to see again. For very different reasons of course.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I ended up liking Paris far more than I thought I was going to (it was included on the trip at the request of the Spousal Unit). Lots of nice people as long as you started off with a 'Bonjour' to indicate you were trying for manners, and the legendary dog doo on every sidewalk was nowhere to be seen.

Yes, it's a working city full of a diverse group of people who are trying to go about heir everyday lives rather than being a perfectly preserved Theme Parc du Romance, and can be a bit scruffy in spots, even in areas famed on the usual tourist routes. (And way overly aggressive street vendors in spots) But we just kind of went with the flow, didn't take ourselves too seriously, and had a grand time.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,977,838 times
I generally travel to two regions or so, it depends how big the country is.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:17 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
I generally only visit one city, especially when traveling along. However, if I have friends outside of the major cities (for instance, I traveled to Oxford for a few days to visit a friend when I visited London), I'll try to make the trek to go see them if they can't come to me.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm planning to go to Finland for a week this coming summer, and will spend probably 100% of that time in Helsinki. I'm going there to attend a convention, so it just makes sense to spend my free days prior to the convention starting just checking out the city (as I've never been there before). Although I may take a day trip to Tallinn, in which case I'll be visiting two countries and visiting just one city in each.

Most large cities have enough to do to keep a tourist occupied for several days, so if the trip's going to be short, why not spend it in just one place? And if it's longer, then go to the places that most interest you; if that means seeing only one city per country, that's fine, too. You can always go back another time and see more.
While you are in Finland , go to the Bar and order Lapin Kulta. It's my favorite beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel