U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2016, 11:21 PM
 
14,790 posts, read 14,060,318 times
Reputation: 20500

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I notice many travelers go to a country and end up visiting only one country and that's it. For example, so many claim they have been to France but they only went to Paris and Paris only, nothing else. For London for the UK, or Barcelona in Spain, or Tokyo in Japan.

It is sometimes ok as we may not have a lot of time, but too often they quickly move on to a different country right afterwards, completely ignoring the cultural offering as well as the wonderful landscape in the rest of the first country. I wonder why is that? It is because of ignorance (I know nothing about France outside Paris) or the vanity of increasing "numbers of country visited"?

Probably 90% of people I know who visited France only saw Paris. I usually try to see at least 2, preferably 3 cities/regions before moving to a new country because in this way you get to know a lot more about it. In most case, the capital/largest city doesn't really represent the country at all.


Sure, ideally one could spend 4weeks in a country to really immerse themselves. I don't think it's ignorance or vanity. Reality is, time and money constrains this.
It's their holiday time, their money - so people can spend that however they deem appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 AM
 
Location: NoVa
2,129 posts, read 2,913,501 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Right, its because I am an illiterate redneck hick from small town nowhere. Got it.

I don't mind spending the money if I get the food, service and experience to go with it. Was just in Rome earlier this month and spent about $90 - $120 per dinner for two not including any alcohol. I know thats not making it rain or anything, lol. But for that price I have expectations. The food was great. The service was outstanding.
No, where in my post did I say you're a red neck? I just used Kentucky as an example for comparison purpose. So you say Paris is expensive, compared to what? For a major city in Europe, I find Paris to be middle of the road in terms of prices.

I just returned from Paris a couple of days ago, actually. I remember having a lovely seafood sit-down lunch at a little restaurant off St. Germain Blvd. We paid less than 60 Euros for a half dozen fresh oysters and 2 platters of mix grilled seafood. Sans alcohol. For the same meal at my local seafood restaurant back home, I would've had to pay more than that. Our server was polite and courteous, and she didn't look down on us although we spoke no French beyond Bonjour and Merci. For the record, I avoid expensive places that offer 'ambiance' but have little value for my money, so I never spend 100 bucks on a meal whereever I go in Europe. I don't even spend that back home.

Quote:
For me, Paris ranks right up there with India on places I never want to see again. For very different reasons of course.
This is where you and I will have to agree to disagree. I happen to love both Paris and India. I've been to India 3 times visiting 6 different locations - loved the food and wouldn't mind returning sometime in the future when my mood strikes. To each his own - shrug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 AM
 
625 posts, read 382,859 times
Reputation: 698
Also a lot of folks idea of vacation is to relax and not travel. I rent out a beach condo occasionally I own. Most folks wont rent a place you have to drive to beach or drive to bar or restaurant.

So they only go places walking distance from the place. It is a European thing to go all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 09:34 AM
 
2,659 posts, read 1,555,137 times
Reputation: 3207
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
How was Cologne? I am going in May to Amsterdam with a friend who has never been there. We are there for about 10 days, and weighing our options.
We went in December and visited the Christmas markets which were really neat. I thought a day trip was just right and probably would have been bored to spend the night there. You could see where parts of the city and certain buildings had been destroyed in WWII so that was pretty cool.

I'd highly recommed a day or two at The Hague. It was a really cool city that we wished we had spent more time in. Go see the windmills too (also a day trip) and tulip fields (if you're there in season). Anne Frank House (make reservations in advance), Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum and many others.

When we went in December it was to use miles before they expired but having been both times of year I actually preferred the quietness of the winter. Tourist season is fun but a bit crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,665 posts, read 6,491,916 times
Reputation: 4171
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
We went in December and visited the Christmas markets which were really neat. I thought a day trip was just right and probably would have been bored to spend the night there. You could see where parts of the city and certain buildings had been destroyed in WWII so that was pretty cool.

I'd highly recommed a day or two at The Hague. It was a really cool city that we wished we had spent more time in. Go see the windmills too (also a day trip) and tulip fields (if you're there in season). Anne Frank House (make reservations in advance), Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum and many others.

When we went in December it was to use miles before they expired but having been both times of year I actually preferred the quietness of the winter. Tourist season is fun but a bit crazy.
Thanks for the info... I've been to Amsterdam several times at different points in the year and I love it.. Was there for New Years Eve this past year and had a blast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Saint Paul, MN
1,365 posts, read 1,446,780 times
Reputation: 2962
I think it depends entirely on how long you have to explore. For most working professional adults I know a week is about as long as they can get away from their jobs at a time. I personally don't care for the superficial nature of spending one day here, one day there, two days in this place, and one day over there...I would rather immerse myself than flit from location to location. But I do agree that the most interesting places are often the little villages where traditional practices are still in effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2016, 05:29 AM
 
32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Reputation: 14956
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I notice many travelers go to a country and end up visiting only one country and that's it. For example, so many claim they have been to France but they only went to Paris and Paris only, nothing else. For London for the UK, or Barcelona in Spain, or Tokyo in Japan.

It is sometimes ok as we may not have a lot of time, but too often they quickly move on to a different country right afterwards, completely ignoring the cultural offering as well as the wonderful landscape in the rest of the first country. I wonder why is that? It is because of ignorance (I know nothing about France outside Paris) or the vanity of increasing "numbers of country visited"?

Probably 90% of people I know who visited France only saw Paris. I usually try to see at least 2, preferably 3 cities/regions before moving to a new country because in this way you get to know a lot more about it. In most case, the capital/largest city doesn't really represent the country at all.
In my case, it depends how long I am going for, what my travel budget is, why I am traveling and if I am planning on visiting people during my trip. If possible, I will try to see more than one location in a particular country but it really depends on my travel circumstances on each particular trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 08:52 AM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,451,783 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is where you and I will have to agree to disagree. I happen to love both Paris and India. I've been to India 3 times visiting 6 different locations - loved the food and wouldn't mind returning sometime in the future when my mood strikes. To each his own - shrug.

I love Indian food. I have some Indian relatives so I am very familiar with the cuisine and customs. Of course each region is different.

I loved the country. Lots to see and experience.

The reason I hate going to India and will never go back is nowhere in all my travels have I seen so much abject human misery and suffering. So many people in that situation there. I just can't gallivant around a country having a grand ol time with that as a backdrop.

Yes....to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 AM
 
2,659 posts, read 1,555,137 times
Reputation: 3207
I tend to focus on a smaller region when traveling and try to spend 2 wks there when we can. I try to visit at least 3 cities in a country (or towns) to get a good feeling of it. There are exceptions such as when we do our family beach trips for a week - then we rent a place and just veg - but if we're going somewhere new or adventurous then we focus on visiting multiple places in that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 09:55 AM
 
Location: The Windy City
5,300 posts, read 3,312,452 times
Reputation: 4513
I'll do it for certain countries because of time constraints. Hungary? I only really have a desire to visit Budapest. Czech Republic? Only a desire to visit Prague, but maybe Brno later.

Some countries are more diverse than others, and I keep that in mind when I travel. France, Germany, and Italy are all very diverse, so you are doing yourself a disservice if you only visit the capitals.

Personally, if I have limited time, I try to visit the most popular areas first, then consider other areas on a return trip. My first trip to France, I visited Paris and Normandy. On other trips, I have explored other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top