U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:17 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times

Advertisements

真的是住海邊欸你
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 12:49 PM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
Obviously, it depends on the country.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:54 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 740,865 times
Would go to Paris and take day trips to local sites. But I like to stay at the same hotel for a week rather than move every night to another hotel. In the 1990's I could go to Europe for $290 RT from Pittsburgh.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:46 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,478,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I notice many travelers go to a country and end up visiting only one country and that's it. For example, so many claim they have been to France but they only went to Paris and Paris only, nothing else. For London for the UK, or Barcelona in Spain, or Tokyo in Japan.

It is sometimes ok as we may not have a lot of time, but too often they quickly move on to a different country right afterwards, completely ignoring the cultural offering as well as the wonderful landscape in the rest of the first country. I wonder why is that? It is because of ignorance (I know nothing about France outside Paris) or the vanity of increasing "numbers of country visited"?

Probably 90% of people I know who visited France only saw Paris. I usually try to see at least 2, preferably 3 cities/regions before moving to a new country because in this way you get to know a lot more about it. In most case, the capital/largest city doesn't really represent the country at all.
I'm the opposite. I think if you have only been to the big cities, you haven't seen the country. If you go to Paris, Marseille and Lyon you haven't really seen France.

The best way to see a country is to rent a car and drive across the country and stay in small towns.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:19 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm the opposite. I think if you have only been to the big cities, you haven't seen the country. If you go to Paris, Marseille and Lyon you haven't really seen France.

The best way to see a country is to rent a car and drive across the country and stay in small towns.
Yes. Now when I go to a country I tend to visit one (or two if time allows) major city, a few small culturally rich towns and villages, and then a couple of natural destinations just for the landscape. If you mix these different things you don't get tired mentally.

On the other hand, if all you do is seeing large cities (Milan/Rome/Venice/Florence), it is easy to get bored (churches after churches, palaces after palaces are kind of boring despite their difference). All nature and no urban area bores me too it is more than 3 days. There should be a good balance. And yes, a car is often a better way to see different things, otherwise one is very restricted. Even in France where the train system is superb, there are too many regions where a car is almost indispensable (Dordogne, Bretagne for example).

Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 AM

9,787 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Quote:
Yes. Now when I go to a country I tend to visit one (or two if time allows) major city, a few small culturally rich towns and villages, and then a couple of natural destinations just for the landscape. If I mix these different things I don't get tired mentally.

On the other hand, if all I do is seeing large cities (Milan/Rome/Venice/Florence), it is easy for me to get bored (churches after churches, palaces after palaces are kind of boring despite their difference). All nature and no urban area bores me too it is more than 3 days. I need a good balance. And yes, a car is often a better way to see different things, otherwise one is very restricted. Even in France where the train system is superb, there are too many regions where a car is almost indispensable (Dordogne, Bretagne for example).
Fixed it for you. The problem you're having is that you believe that everyone thinks and feels the way you do. You may get tired mentally staying in one place, but not everyone does. Some people have no interest in urban areas. Some people have no interest in nature. Everyone has different preferences. You need to learn to speak for yourself.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:45 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,559,500 times
I always say "first time is for browsing". When I get to a new country, I like to get over view of the famous places for bragging right & there is a reason those places are well known vs. others. But I remember my first trip to EU (Italy), I came up with extensive plan to tour the country and visit 4 cities in 5 days. I was stressed during planning phase & then a friend told me just see one area properly. Life is long, you can always come back and see other place. When I narrowed it down to Rome, the stress went down & I had lot of play time to just explore. I figure next time I visit Italy, I will venture out and go deep. Same with Paris.

The reason is LAZINESS for me. It takes more research, more time to visit outside of the famous place

Old 12-06-2016, 01:21 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,163,628 times
Quote:
Yes. Now when I go to a country I tend to visit one (or two if time allows) major city, a few small culturally rich towns and villages, and then a couple of natural destinations just for the landscape. If you mix these different things you don't get tired mentally.

On the other hand, if all you do is seeing large cities (Milan/Rome/Venice/Florence), it is easy to get bored (churches after churches, palaces after palaces are kind of boring despite their difference). All nature and no urban area bores me too it is more than 3 days. There should be a good balance. And yes, a car is often a better way to see different things, otherwise one is very restricted. Even in France where the train system is superb, there are too many regions where a car is almost indispensable (Dordogne, Bretagne for example).

I guess you are a teenager or early 20s - you certainly sound like a teenager. When you grow up more you'll become bored less easily as you understand and experience things in depth.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 PM

5,927 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Life is long, you can always come back and see other place.
I wonder how many people say this then never return.

For many people a big international vacation is something they get just a few shots at in life.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:00 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I always say "first time is for browsing". When I get to a new country, I like to get over view of the famous places for bragging right & there is a reason those places are well known vs. others. But I remember my first trip to EU (Italy), I came up with extensive plan to tour the country and visit 4 cities in 5 days. I was stressed during planning phase & then a friend told me just see one area properly. Life is long, you can always come back and see other place. When I narrowed it down to Rome, the stress went down & I had lot of play time to just explore. I figure next time I visit Italy, I will venture out and go deep. Same with Paris.

The reason is LAZINESS for me. It takes more research, more time to visit outside of the famous place

My post was not about just seeing when city. It is completely fine when time is limited such as in you case. It is about just seeing one city in one country and then quickly moving to the next country in the same trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or