U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:49 PM

9,840 posts, read 5,048,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
your examples are all tropical beach destination. They don't constitute "travel".
Sigh. Can't keep up with bott's various "rules" on what constitutes real travel.

Looks like I'm doomed to disappoint him. Not sure how I will go on in life with this knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 02:07 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,130,196 times
Quote:
your examples are all tropical beach destination. They don't constitute "travel".
Beaches are beaches and only beaches, highly similar in different continent, so of course it makes sense to go to the closest ones, as you dont get more because you fly three times as much.
Unless you want to interact with one of the more interesting minority cultures in Indonesia or explore some really interesting Mayan ruins in conjunction with your beach time.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:03 AM

5,987 posts, read 2,912,200 times
Quote:
Cities are cities are cities. They don't constitute "travel"
Small towns are small towns are small towns. They don't constitute "travel"
Museums are museums are museums. They don't constitute "travel"
Castles are castles are castles. They don't constitute "travel"
Ruins are ruins are ruins. They don't constitute "travel"
etc.

Travel is going on a journey, if someone travels from Moscow to Nha Trang to enjoy a beach holiday they are indeed traveling. The environment, weather, the culture, the prices, the food, the customs, everything will be different in Vietnam compared to what they are used to in Russia.

Quote:
Beaches are beaches and only beaches, highly similar in different continent, so of course it makes sense to go to the closest ones, as you dont get more because you fly three times as much.
No they aren't.

Some have waves, some don't.
Some are cheap, some aren't.
Some have wide white sand, others have a narrow strip of darker sand.
Some are rocky, some are smooth
Some are relatively deserted, others are crowded.
Some have bars/restaurants/hotels built along them, others have the palm tree and jungle line.
Some have good conditions for water sports, others don't.

For example, if you think the beach at Moalboal Philippines is highly similar to Venice Beach California you (literally) only view things puddle deep.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:41 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
No they aren't.

Some have waves, some don't.
Some are cheap, some aren't.
Some have wide white sand, others have a narrow strip of darker sand.
Some are rocky, some are smooth
Some are relatively deserted, others are crowded.
Some have bars/restaurants/hotels built along them, others have the palm tree and jungle line.
Some have good conditions for water sports, others don't.

For example, if you think the beach at Moalboal Philippines is highly similar to Venice Beach California you (literally) only view things puddle deep.
You swim in a 1000 different swimming pools, small and large, wide and narrow, blue or green, warm or cold, with or without life guards, all you did was still swimming and they are still just swimming pools.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:13 AM

7,688 posts, read 16,130,196 times
To claim 'all pools is the same' is a sign of ignorance. There's long history of man and his interaction with big artificial puddles of water going back thousands of years (see the Roman baths of Bath that survive as a museum today). You have the spa culture of Germany that continues today, the remains of the 19th century spa culture in America (see Hot Springs National Park), the Japanese have their own take on that...

And the pools themselves are so wonderfully diverse. Every Town in Iceland has their outdoor pools fed by hot springs where you can swim amid the snowflakes during winter months, Hungary has this amazing aquatics center network for both workouts and leisure that goes back for a really long (I am so looking forward to seeing their Margaret Island aquatics park set to open for the 2017 World Championships) there are the great leisure pools both older (the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables, FL) and new (Marina Sands infinity pool in Singapore)

And even among the competition pools, there's a world of difference between the great complexes where world records were set and champions were crowned and the local YMCA with chipped tile, sub-par ventilation systems, and iffy water quality.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,449,555 times
Quote:
Yes actually, it does.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:48 AM

2,129 posts, read 2,915,370 times
Quote:

On the other hand, for someone from Iowa to fly fewer than 5 hours to see something culturally and historically quite different and significant is hard. Same for someone in Washington or Massachusetts.
Well, that depends on one's definition of 'travel', doesn't it? I realize you don't like beaches but I happen to love them. It counts as travel to me as I need to make a journey to get there.

Regarding travel style, I like to mix my travel but I dislike what I call 'whirlwind travel'. The one where you go to 3-4 different cities in 5 days. That is travel in a literal sense but I'll get nothing out of it but exhaustion.

Last edited by graceC; 12-09-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Well, that depends on one's definition of 'travel', doesn't it? I realize you don't like beaches but I happen to love them. It counts as travel to me as I need to make a journey to get there.

Regarding travel style, I like to mix my travel but I dislike what I call 'whirlwind travel'. The one where you go to 3-4 different cities in 5 days. That is travel in a literal sense but I'll get nothing out of it but exhaustion.
No it doesn't depend on one's definition of travel. Travel means going to a different location to get to see, know and experience different landscape, people, culture, history, lifestyle, achitecture, heriage and come back knowing more about the world than when you left. No, you don't need to visit an art museum or taking a heavy history lesson, but you come back knowing more about the world.

If you just go to a warmer place to swim and tan, that's not travel. It is called vacation. It is like going to your uncle Jim's cabin the mountains once in a while just to be in nature. It is vacation, not travel, because it provides absolutely no new information to your brain. It is not so different from flying 10000 miles to play 6 hours of basketball and come back. Do you call that "travel"? Of course frequent Carribbean beach goers want to convince themselves they are "travelling", well, too bad. It is a vacation, but you are not a traveller.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,449,555 times
Quote:
No it doesn't depend on one's definition of travel. Travel means going to a different location to get to see, know and experience different landscape, people, culture, history, lifestyle, achitecture, heriage and come back knowing more about the world than when you left. No, you don't need to visit an art museum or taking a heavy history lesson, but you come back knowing more about the world.

If you just go to a warmer place to swim and tan, that's not travel. It is called vacation. It is like going to your uncle Jim's cabin the mountains once in a while just to be in nature. It is vacation, not travel, because it provides absolutely no new information to your brain. It is not so different from flying 10000 miles to play 6 hours of basketball and come back. Do you call that "travel"? Of course frequent Carribbean beach goers want to convince themselves they are "travelling", well, too bad. It is a vacation, but you are not a traveller.
Lol, you think beaches subsist wholly separate from any town, city & culture? Your posts are just desparate.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, you think beaches subsist wholly separate from any town, city & culture? Your posts are just desparate.
yeah, I am sure all the Americans and Canadians who flock to the Caribbeans have a lot of interaction of and learn a lot about the spanish speaking local people and culture. Cancun for example is the centre of Mexican culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or