U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,577 posts, read 39,952,759 times

Advertisements

What do you want to see / do? (Climate?)

We lived internationally when kids were age 5 - 12, no shortage of things to do. They were homeschooled so made most of the plans / reservations / budgets as a life learning tool. Today they still travel A LOT!

We lived on islands and in mtns, always with the locals to get cultural exposure.

Thailand treking and Cambodia / Myanmar would be top adventures.

They (boys) also really enjoyed the WW2 campaign trails through Europe and Asia.

The Baltic and MAURITIUS would be nice.

Stay with local families as it really enhances the experience. We used a family guest home directory $10 / night World wide. It listed hosts and age and interests of their children. We usually tried to stick with farms, since that is our interests / experience. It is fun to learn how substance farmers grow / maintain Year round income / food. Your girls would probably enjoy farms / ranches (horses and sheep). It is really interesting to go when they are moving livestock to high mtns for summer grazing. South America (Peru, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia) will have very interesting ranch adventures. Include a language immersion school, they are very cheap.

and yes... everyday was / is an adventure (300+ days traveling this yr) started with a One way to Australia (during USA winter... managed to get as far as Ireland before we needed to come home and manage / winterize our farm. (We had farm-sitters'). There are many postings for house / pet / plant sitting. If you can find an interesting 'hub' to travel from, you can get a 4-8 week gig and enjoy learning about that culture.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-30-2016 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,550,599 times
We looked at taking our 6 yo to the Galapagos and ultimately decided to wait until he takes biology in high school. It seems like they'll get more out of that one when they're older.

England/Ireland/Central America would all be good experiences for them. Given their ages I'd probably lean more towards english speaking areas so they're comfortable.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:32 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,638,569 times
South Africa - to the game reserves. There are literally dozens of them. English is spoken freely, NEVER had an issue. But its interesting if you are lucky enough to hear tribes people speaking their native language. Some game reserves offer you a chance to go visit a tribe.

Many game reserves employ people from a nearby tribe. Our butler was from a tribe who he says they were witch doctors. He was a total delight and was always pulling jokes on us. His group off 6 ladies from the US who he claims he missed when we were on safari. He invited us back with him to visit his tribe on his break. I was dying to go but one gal in our group choose to preach to him about the Lord. Hey I'm a Christian but dang this isn't the way to go about it. No way was I going with her. I told him we'd take a rain check. He invites us into their world, don't be rude and say he needs to change what has gone on with his ancestors for 1000's of years. Even the churches that do this are experienced, they don't blow in and take over. Beside with her lifestyle, she has no business preaching to anyone. Sorry it was an opportunity I'm very sorry I missed. And no she hasn't been invited to go with us on our trips to Africa since.

Spend a few days in Cape town, lots to do. Not dangerous in the tourist areas.
Go when its summer here in US, its winter there. The dangerous stuff is hibernating. Like cobras and black mambas snakes. Also see no bugs.
Grasses are dead and can see animals easily.

Do not go to Joburg, unless its the airport to connect a new flight.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 11-30-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-30-2016, 02:39 PM

3,741 posts, read 7,038,937 times
I can only speak to Machu Picchu...2 days acclimating to the altitude and culture in nearby Cuzco is a good idea, plus there are plenty of kid-friendly things to do there as well. MP is truly a wondrous place and worth seeing; however, note that it is not without its pitfalls.

While the site itself is as breathtaking and amazing as you would expect, it definitely has a large number of tourists there. While the government has capped the number of visitors to something around 2,000 a day, expect to see throngs of people surrounding a guide, clusters of people milling about, etc. It's not overly crowded, but don't expect a great amount of peace and quiet there either. Machu Picchu Pueblo/Aguas Calientes (the "city" at the base of the mountain) is definitely a tourist trap. While it has its own charms, it's really nothing more than a place for tourists to deposit their cash while waiting for the train to take them back.

Finally, don't overlook Lima as a destination too. While many tourists spend no more than a day there as they wait for connecting flights, it's well worth exploring for several days on its own.

I plan on taking my kids there at some point. It's an unforgettable trip. But do be aware that it is quite touristy and if finding an off the beaten path/non touristy destination is your top priority, you may be disappointed.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:22 PM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
The trick for beating tourists in Machu Picchu is to spend one night in Aguas Calientes, and when you arrive buy the bus tickets for the next day going up the mountain.

Next day go to the bus stop at 5:00 am and get in line. You'll be near the front of the line (which will slowly grow pretty huge) and be on one of the first buses up the mountain, arriving at the gates before they even open. The only people who will be there ahead of you a handful of people who hiked up starting even earlier. When the gates open (I think 6:00 am) walk up top to the better view points, and you'll catch the sun coming up and burning the clouds away to reveal a relatively empty Machu Picchu.

It doesn't really start filling up until the first trains start arriving from Ollantaytambo later in the morning, since most tourists and tour groups come as a day trip from there or Cusco.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What do you want to see / do? (Climate?)

We lived internationally when kids were age 5 - 12, no shortage of things to do. They were homeschooled so made most of the plans / reservations / budgets as a life learning tool. Today they still travel A LOT!

We lived on islands and in mtns, always with the locals to get cultural exposure.

Thailand treking and Cambodia / Myanmar would be top adventures.

They (boys) also really enjoyed the WW2 campaign trails through Europe and Asia.

The Baltic and MAURITIUS would be nice.

Stay with local families as it really enhances the experience. We used a family guest home directory $10 / night World wide. It listed hosts and age and interests of their children. We usually tried to stick with farms, since that is our interests / experience. It is fun to learn how substance farmers grow / maintain Year round income / food. Your girls would probably enjoy farms / ranches (horses and sheep). It is really interesting to go when they are moving livestock to high mtns for summer grazing. South America (Peru, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia) will have very interesting ranch adventures. Include a language immersion school, they are very cheap.

and yes... everyday was / is an adventure (300+ days traveling this yr) started with a One way to Australia (during USA winter... managed to get as far as Ireland before we needed to come home and manage / winterize our farm. (We had farm-sitters'). There are many postings for house / pet / plant sitting. If you can find an interesting 'hub' to travel from, you can get a 4-8 week gig and enjoy learning about that culture.
I'm starting to learn towards Cambodia.

I'd love to hear more about how you made your plans. Could you send me a pm with details or point me in the direction to figure it out?

Old 12-03-2016, 07:36 PM

153 posts, read 93,061 times
[quote=mikeyyc;46344784]We did Ethiopia this year with our 8 year old and my parents. It was a great time.

Next on our list is Cambodia and Angkor Wat. I've wanted to go since I was my son's age.

quote]

I did Cambodia Angkor Wat last year. It's a must. Takes a couple days if you want to see it all. Really no issues when I was there. Theres a bunch of young kids that hang around the temples and want you to pay them $20~ to be your guide. I paid a couple of them. They actually did show me some interesting stuff that I might not have noticed otherwise. But they can be annoying you just want to be left alone and walk around.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm starting to learn towards Cambodia.

I'd love to hear more about how you made your plans. Could you send me a pm with details or point me in the direction to figure it out?

I went to Phnom Pehn and Angkor Wat last year in October. Spent a week in Phnom Penh and a week in Siem Reap (Angkor) last year.

It's awesome and a must do.

PM me if you have questions.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The trick for beating tourists in Machu Picchu is to spend one night in Aguas Calientes, and when you arrive buy the bus tickets for the next day going up the mountain.

No, the trick is to stay at the hotel at the entrance. The buses pretty much start arriving and leave at the same time.

If you stay at the hotel at the ruins, you get about an hour before the busses arrive and an hour after they leave to have some peace and quiet without the crowds.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:26 AM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Built View Post
No, the trick is to stay at the hotel at the entrance. The buses pretty much start arriving and leave at the same time.

If you stay at the hotel at the ruins, you get about an hour before the busses arrive and an hour after they leave to have some peace and quiet without the crowds.
If you're staying at the hotel you get in before the gates open? We took the bus from AC and were there waiting at the gates when they opened to the site at 6:00 am, we were right there with the first couple dozen people walking in. I guess it's possible but I'm not sure how anyone at that hotel had an entrance advantage other than sleeping in an extra 45 minutes.

Plus a room in AC town is about $50, I heard the hotel up at the gate can be over $1,000/night depending on season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel