U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 02:45 AM

5,957 posts, read 2,897,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm starting to learn towards Cambodia.

I'd love to hear more about how you made your plans. Could you send me a pm with details or point me in the direction to figure it out?
I'm no Cambodia expert but I've been to places like Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh that would be on most tourist itineraries, have been living in SE Asia for awhile, and am currently in Cambodia. We'll be here at least another month, planning on doing Christmas at Angkor Wat then taking a bus to Thailand to take care of some dental work.

I'm not sure how long you're planning on coming here but most people don't have a vacation of only Cambodia, they make it some combination with other another country (or two) in SE Asia with goal of seeing Angkor Wat. This is easy because Siem Reap has an international airport so people can make it a 2-3 day stop. You can do Thailand with some beaches if you want, or see Vietnam, etc.

If I could give you a recommendation I'd say go see Bagan, Myanmar as well. It is just starting to come on everyone's radar and will likely be a major tourist destination just like Angor Wat within a few years. We've been to both and I actually enjoyed Bagan a little more, it doesn't have the one massive structure like Angkor Wat but in terms of scale and accessibility it is hard to beat there are thousands of temple structures spread across the plains making for sunrise/sunset views that you'll never forget. We went overland from Thailand via Mae Sot but to fly to Bagan I'm pretty sure you either go to Yangon or Mandalay and catch a bus.

Angkor Wat (and Cambodia itself) is pretty easy, they have a fairly solid tourist network for everything from backpackers to tour groups to the standard old white guy with young local wife group.

PM me any questions you have I can probably at least give reasonable advice and if not can find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 11:04 AM

4,240 posts, read 2,514,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm no Cambodia expert but I've been to places like Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh that would be on most tourist itineraries, have been living in SE Asia for awhile, and am currently in Cambodia. We'll be here at least another month, planning on doing Christmas at Angkor Wat then taking a bus to Thailand to take care of some dental work.

I'm not sure how long you're planning on coming here but most people don't have a vacation of only Cambodia, they make it some combination with other another country (or two) in SE Asia with goal of seeing Angkor Wat. This is easy because Siem Reap has an international airport so people can make it a 2-3 day stop. You can do Thailand with some beaches if you want, or see Vietnam, etc.

If I could give you a recommendation I'd say go see Bagan, Myanmar as well. It is just starting to come on everyone's radar and will likely be a major tourist destination just like Angor Wat within a few years. We've been to both and I actually enjoyed Bagan a little more, it doesn't have the one massive structure like Angkor Wat but in terms of scale and accessibility it is hard to beat there are thousands of temple structures spread across the plains making for sunrise/sunset views that you'll never forget. We went overland from Thailand via Mae Sot but to fly to Bagan I'm pretty sure you either go to Yangon or Mandalay and catch a bus.

Angkor Wat (and Cambodia itself) is pretty easy, they have a fairly solid tourist network for everything from backpackers to tour groups to the standard old white guy with young local wife group.

PM me any questions you have I can probably at least give reasonable advice and if not can find out.
Funny, just before I opened C-D today I was researching Bagan. We would definitely combined Angkor Wat/Cambodia with other destinations. I was originally thinking Vietnam but Myanmar sounds pretty great.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:48 PM

5,957 posts, read 2,897,780 times
Bagan is easy for kids as well. The towns have figured out the tourists are coming, so if the kids aren't digging local fare it is easy to find pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. We rented an electric scooter for the week, would head out early to climb up temples for sunrise views, explore during the day, then often find a good spot for sunset too. There are thousands of them, no way you can see 'em all. This a picture we took from the top of one, they go as far as they eye can see in almost every direction:

Something else to check out in Myanmar is Golden Rock, big time Buddhist pilgrimage destination. From the town at the base you take this roller-coaster ride up the mountain on these converted dump trucks they've installed seats in. Up top at night is really festive, everyone spreads out mats and camps out overnight outside. There is lots of chanting, burning crap, Burmese kids running amok playing etc. and if you're male you can get some gold stuff to add to the rock itself. Really an interesting experience. These shots I took there:

One more place besides the usual Yangon, Mandalay, Inle Lake tourist route is Hpa-An further east. Maybe a little harder to get to if you fly in (we walked in from Thailand so were already out east) but lots of cool stuff to see especially if you like caves. They built a lot of temples and and statues into the caves, some of which you get to by hiring a canoe. Get a tuk-tuk driver for the day they all know where to take you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel