U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:08 AM

4,220 posts, read 2,505,774 times

Advertisements

Where should we take our will-be 6 and 8 year old daughters for an international family vacation?

I prefer authentic or adventurous locations so all inclusive is probably out.

I'm thinking something along the lines of

Machu Picchu
Galapagos
India
China
Vietnam

Where can we go to get away from the commercialization and packaged vacations with hordes of American tourists? I want to expose my kids to different cultures, people, and experiences. We'll do Western Europe one day but not this trip.

If you've been somewhere and have specific info I'd love to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:28 AM

8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
We did Ethiopia this year with our 8 year old and my parents. It was a great time.

Next on our list is Cambodia and Angkor Wat. I've wanted to go since I was my son's age.

Machu Picchu is probably a bit strenuous for smaller kids, as the altitude and physical stress is real. Galapagos would be cool.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
We did Ethiopia this year with our 8 year old and my parents. It was a great time.

Next on our list is Cambodia and Angkor Wat. I've wanted to go since I was my son's age.

Machu Picchu is probably a bit strenuous for smaller kids, as the altitude and physical stress is real. Galapagos would be cool.
I was considering Angkor Wat.

The elevation at Machu Picchu is no joke but they were born in Montana and have been in the Canadian Rockies. I don't know if that would help them at all.

What specifically did you do in Ethiopia?

Old 11-29-2016, 02:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,312,423 times
Would this be during the (northern) summer? If not, what time of year? And how many days/weeks would you have?

Assuming the northern summer and at least a couple of weeks, my immediate vote would go to South Africa.

The northern summer is the southern winter of course, but that means that the "safari belt" around Kruger National Park and points west (like Madikwe) is in the relatively cool and dry season, with no mosquitoes and no need for malaria prophylaxis. Sunny, warm days, cool nights, and the wildlife viewing is good because the leaves are off the trees and the animals come to the various water sources. Two or three days in a safari lodge (and there are many that are kid-friendly) would be fabulous.

Cape Town is a cultural melting pot - African, European, Indian, Malay, with a range of fabulous activities ranging from shark viewing to penguins, hikes, marvelous public gardens... Up the west coast in late August to September there are amazing displays of wildflowers.

Culturally it's a remarkable place. There are eleven national languages, fabulous arts and crafts, wonderful food and wine. The history of apartheid and the freedom movement is vivid, and - to me at least - there's still a sense of emergence and hope, despite occasional setbacks.

Fly into Joburg and rent a car to head north to Kruger or west to Madikwe. Then back to Joburg and fly to Port Elizabeth on the Indian Ocean coast. Rent a second car, visit Addo Elephant National Park, then drive down the gorgeous "Garden Route" to Cape Town. The driving is easy, the roads good, the people friendly and they love kids.

Plus, the Dollar-Rand exchange is very favorable, so everything is quite cheap.

Like I say, I'd suggest this in a minute.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:36 PM

8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I was considering Angkor Wat.

The elevation at Machu Picchu is no joke but they were born in Montana and have been in the Canadian Rockies. I don't know if that would help them at all.

What specifically did you do in Ethiopia?
Ethiopia we did Bahir Dar: Lake Tana, Blue Nile and the Island Monasteries. Drove to Gondar and did the old castle/baths. Flew to Lalibela for the Church of St. George, Bette Mariam, etc, flew to Axum for the Steles, Sheba's bath and to steal the Ark. Back to Addis for some markets, a day trip out to the rift valley, and recovery before flying home.

Benefits of altitude exposure are short duration. I grew up in Calgary at 3600 feet. I live in Houston now. Going to Ethiopia and being near 9000' in Lalibela, I don't think I could suck more wind if I tried. Cusco, which is the jumping off point for Machu Picchu is nearly 11,000 feet. Right in the altitude sickness area.

South Africa is great too. Cape Town, Kruger, the whole experience. Jo'berg can be missed, but it's a good hub to start out of. Food is excellent and cheap, along with great wines.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:19 PM

7,311 posts, read 4,151,370 times
I'd skip Galapagos for now, as your kids are still too young to get much out of that (very expensive) trip. Wait until they are a few years older and better able to understand the significance of the islands. Mainland Ecuador would be a possibility, though, as would Costa Rica. But South Africa sounds like it would be ideal!

Old 11-29-2016, 04:28 PM

1,910 posts, read 959,043 times
Ecuador.

Economical, safe, reserved but friendly people. Doesn't take forever to get to from Miami.

Stay in a jungle lodge that you have to get to by motorized canoe. Go on a rain forest jaunt and see the walking trees and taste lemon ants. If you're really adventurous, try the roasted grubs.....honestly, they taste good. Visit the jungle animal rehabilitation center there.

See spectacular waterfalls. Get wet.

Soak yourself a hot springs spa. Ahhh.

Stay at a 300-year-old hacienda turned into a hotel with its own stunning chapel.

Bargain for goods at a village market. Crafts are extremely reasonable.

Straddle the equator at the Mitad del Mundo park (even through the actual equator is at the bottom of a ravine several hundred feet away.....it's still fun)

Go to a hummingbird sanctuary.

Eat hand-made ice cream in very unusual flavors.

Take a trip up into the Andes.

Take supplies and visit a local school.

Visit some of the most beautiful churches you will ever hope to see. Some are glittering with silver and gold, some are simple folk art decorated. Marvel at the fact that a lot of them will have dogs sleeping under the pews or up at the altar. The dogs don't bother anybody.....nobody bothers the dogs.

Look up at an active volcano.

My favorite country to visit.....well, my favorite to visit where I don't worry about being blown up.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:40 PM

5,934 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Machu Picchu
Galapagos
India
China
Vietnam
I've been to most of those, if with kids I'd go with either Machu Picchu or China.

Don't worry about the altitude thing with Machu Picchu, it isn't like you'll just step off the plane in Peru at 10k feet and start hiking up towards the ruins. You've got a whole Peru vacation to acclimate. You can go to Arequipa first at 7.5k feet, or even if you fly from Lima directly you can spend a few days in Cusco or Ollantaytambo relaxing.

Either way Peru is a nice choice because there is so much more than the mountains. Take the family up to Iquitos and book a trip staying at one of the lodges along the Amazon river. Lots of stuff families can do together, from sloth spotting to cayman watching to jungle hikes to fishing for piranha to eat. Take 'em out to the desert in Huacachina to ride/surf the dunes. Peru offers so much different things in one country.

China is good just because of the wow factor of some of the things you can see. Terra Cotta Warriors, Great Wall, Guilin, Stone Forest, etc. all iconic stuff that is great for families to see together.

Good luck, have fun!

Old 11-30-2016, 05:23 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,968,461 times
The Galapagos is a great destination if you and your children are really interested in animals.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:57 AM

The season would depend on where we choose to go. We're flexible on dates so we'd accommodate for the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel