U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 10:36 AM

222 posts, read 171,116 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What major European city should we visit in winter to get a great value? Where would we get a very fulfilling experience but with significant savings and maybe less crowds than in summer? I personally like museums but my wife is really into romantic locations. We both like good food and convenience. We're definitely not looking for "outdoorsy" stuff like hiking or skiing.

Possibly Christmas week or the last week of January. I assume most places are slightly cheaper in January.

Venice, Athens, Florence, Prague, Paris, London are the kind of places I could think of....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:29 AM

1,907 posts, read 957,275 times
Barcelona or Lisbon?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:48 AM

37,949 posts, read 55,692,297 times
If you want to be there during Christmas, then I would recommend places in Germany or Austria. They celebrate Christmas with style. Absolutely wonderful experience not really matched anywhere in the US.
Vienna, Salzburg, Zurich, Prague, Cracow - if you want to hit this corner.
Cologne, Munich, Nuremberg - in Germany.
All places have great Christmas markets, activities and plethora of things to see.
Narrow your choice, and I will post more info.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:39 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
If you're paying for the plane tickets instead of using miles, Dublin is often very cheap to fly into compared to other big tourism players

Old 11-30-2016, 12:42 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,102,038 times
German tourists are notorious for visiting Ireland during the storm season to save money. Occasionally a carload of them drives off a cliff. Save money by staying home.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,468,803 times
Prague would be absolutely magical at Christmas. I was there in March and it was cold and beautiful then.....I can only imagine decorated for the holidays. Another gorgeous city is Salzburg, Austria. It would have a magical feel in winter, too.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:48 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,447,946 times
Well, either go for a cold experience or try to go south for warmth.

Major cities? I don't think your ever gonna find a "cheap" time to see them.

For a cold winter I would stick to the Italian/Austrian/German alps region. A smaller city. But not a major ski resort town. Good value there. Easy distance to drive or train to major cities.

For south I would say Crete, Sicily, Malta or Southern Spain.

Kind of in between I would say Rome, Naples, Amalfi coast, Barcelona, Madrid, Sardinia. There can be some nice mild days during winter and its generally not very cold at any of them. A typical summer resort place like Sardinia and Amalfi coastal towns have some very good deals during off season. Naples is generally cheap any time of the year.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:00 AM

3,660 posts, read 6,481,485 times
Lisbon, Portugal.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,529 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Baltic communities should be least expensive in winter. Check them out.

Germany / Switzerland, Austria / Holland are superb Christmas locations (but not cheap)

Old 12-02-2016, 10:20 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
I find Seville pretty enjoyable in December/January. It's warm (like 20C) so you can save yourselves a lot of packing space and it's very cheap by Western European standard, the cabs are pretty affordable.

Lisbon as well, though it would probably a bit colder (like 13-18C, still extremely warm for that time of the year) and slightly less sunny (depends on the weather). It's very affordable as well since Portugal's economy is awful.

They are both very romantic, btw. At least imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or