Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 01:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Regarding those countries travelled, in many cases it involved nothing but one large city and its perepheral, so the number of countries visited is really meaningless,
No, not meaningless at all. If I decide to count countries visited, I'll count them any way I choose. I don't need your approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Now, I am going to China with my boyfriend sometime in September. He wants to wing it while I'm worried about it being a disaster. I am open to traveling without a tour guide and am curious to see how it compares to using a tour company.
Do you speak Chinese? If not, I highly recommend using a tour guide. We had a private guide in each city when we visited China and it made the trip much better than if we had been trying to find things on our own.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Depends where they go.

A lot of people hit the Beijing/Shanghai/Suzhou/Xian path where it isn't too difficult to travel independently without a tour guide or speaking Chinese.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:21 AM

That's where we were last year and didn't see many English signs. So if you can't read Chinese signs, you would have a difficult time navigating.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:33 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's where we were last year and didn't see many English signs. So if you can't read Chinese signs, you would have a difficult time navigating.
Where did you go?

Old 04-01-2017, 11:31 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
well, I travel solo and many people take the liberty to freely comment on how that is not the best way to travel - why are you going alone, you can't share your memories, it's no fun, it's lonely and miserable blah blah. I wish they would just shut up. But if I dare scoff their way of travel then it's hugely upsetting to them.

I agree with the other posts, travel as you wish. Travel is a personal experience.. whatever philosophy you deem fit that works for you is the right way to travel.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:56 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
What I don't get is people who only go on vacation to the same place every year, follow the same schedule, eat at exactly the same places and order the same thing, and never try anything different or go anywhere else. To each his own, but c'mon....
I went to the same place four years running and loved it. After a three-year hiatus (due to circumstances) I just went again and it was so good to be back. No two trips were exactly the same. I've gone other places and may still go to more, but I'll get back to this place whenever I can.

I agree the "if you don't travel the way I do" mindset is silly. Just go and have a blast!

Old 04-01-2017, 08:31 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
I just figure that the preferred travel style will likely change for a person over the years, as it has for me. When I was young and a student, travelling on a shoe string with friends and piling a half a dozen people into a hotel room miles outside of town seemed like a blast... would I do that now? Egad no. Different things may please people at different stages of life, with different options, and different experiences behind them... so each to his own.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:12 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
In the tourist areas (Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Suzhou, etc.) there are plenty of English signs. Subways, bus stops, streets, menus, etc.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
In the tourist areas (Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Suzhou, etc.) there are plenty of English signs. Subways, bus stops, streets, menus, etc.
yeah, only at tourist areas.

Some might have ventured out of those areas, where expecting English signs anywhere or anyone speaking English is unrealistic, even in central Shanghai or Beijing. A Chinese person who only speaks Cantonese might even have difficulty, not to mention a foreigner.

It is already a lot better than say 20 years ago, when without speaking Shanghainese dialect one would have problem shopping because many shop employees were not even educated enough to speak proper Mandarin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel