U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:41 AM

3,488 posts, read 1,915,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
.. I'm guessing that wild game, salmon and halibut will be plentiful. That's wonderful..
No wild game, as it's not legal to sell.

With just 7-10 days, you're best bet would be to fly into Anchorage and take your car out the Kenai Peninsula, and/or a circular route using the Glenn and Parks highways to Fairbanks, Denali and back to Anchorage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 02:04 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,487,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Well OK then. Driving is much better than cruise/bus.

BTW, in the 10 years between trips, the number of breweries literally exploded...great beer up there.

Edited to add: I know you said no/minimal hiking, but I will say that one thing that helped get the kinks out after a long stretch of driving was a mild hike each day. Even a walk. We found the variety of walks/hikes to be endless, some no more difficult than a walk in the neighborhood, and it really helped keep the blood flowing and the lungs pumping in the middle of a long stretch of driving.

We all know about Denali, but Alaska has a ton of smaller state and regional parks that are perfect for the casual walker/hiker...virtually off of every highway you'll be on. Easy access. JMHO.
Yes, we do walks. My SO doesn't like to hike at all, but will walk to see waterfalls, lakes, wildlife, etc. Part of my "selling" her on a trip to Alaska is that we won't be hiking and fishing or rafting, etc.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
No wild game, as it's not legal to sell.
OK. I forgot we live in the land of Big Government.

When I was in South Africa, we ate all kinds of game such as Kudu, impala and crocodile. I assumed it was wild.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:37 PM

3,974 posts, read 1,697,241 times
There are lots of small land tours you can take. I did one this year and had an amazing time! The people in my group were not into mountain climbing, hunting, or fishing. If you look for small lodges, most will have little tours or day trips associated with them. You can add them together or do your own thing.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:08 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,199,829 times
Youíll get quite a few more ideas by posting this on the Alaska forum.

For Alaska Native crafts, the Alaska Native Medical Center is a gem. Alaska Natives from around the state bring their wares in and sell them at the Craft Shop. Seems a bit funky to be at a hospital but you are guaranteed everything is authentic. Another place that Iíve used in the past is the Alaska Fur Exchange on the corner of Old Seward Hwy and Tudor Rd in Anchorage. Good selection.

Craft Shop | Alaska Native Medical Center

Alaska Gifts Fur Hat Slippers Coats Jewelry Eskimo

Tripadvisor has some good info where many of your questions have been answered.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...49-Alaska.html

Be aware of distances. Alaska is huge. Driving from Seward to Denali can take 7 hours without stops. There is usually construction and slow moving RVs that increase the time.

Although you donít want to cruise, Cruise Critic has a ton of information about land trips that folks do in conjunction with a cruise although independent of the cruise.
Alaska - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
And here's a non-cruise option for getting around on the water that hasn't been mentioned yet: the Alaska Marine Highway Alaska Marine Highway System - Official site of the Alaska DOT&PF. It can be a good way of moving between some of the small towns in the panhandle region (where cars can't always go).

Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 PM

4,696 posts, read 2,544,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
OK. I forgot we live in the land of Big Government.

When I was in South Africa, we ate all kinds of game such as Kudu, impala and crocodile. I assumed it was wild.
I would not assume the animals are wild. Game animals of all the species you named are farmed in South Africa.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Youíll get quite a few more ideas by posting this on the Alaska forum.
Thanks. I'll do that.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Seems to me a cruise would be the best for you. You sound like you're doing the tourist bit so a cruise would take you to more places in less time. You could book your sight seeing trips through them or if you want on your own when you get to a port, or even in advance.
Renting a car is fine but a lot of time will be wasted driving.
On a cruise you get the best of everything, touring, entertainment, good food, no hassle packing and unpacking every night. Your time period of 7-10 days would not be enough on your own to see much. Plus you take chances on some heavy rains. Alaska gets over 110 inches each summer season.
That is my opinion, others may differ.
yes a cruise sounds like a big hit and a great way to see the real Alaska and patronize the cruise-line, owned businesses at each port for 4 or 5 hours with 5,000 of your closest friends

Old 12-06-2016, 09:02 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,483,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Seems to me a cruise would be the best for you. You sound like you're doing the tourist bit so a cruise would take you to more places in less time. You could book your sight seeing trips through them or if you want on your own when you get to a port, or even in advance.
Renting a car is fine but a lot of time will be wasted driving.
On a cruise you get the best of everything, touring, entertainment, good food, no hassle packing and unpacking every night. Your time period of 7-10 days would not be enough on your own to see much. Plus you take chances on some heavy rains. Alaska gets over 110 inches each summer season.
That is my opinion, others may differ.
I disagree. I lived In AK before, own property there, and visit every year. Driving offers you beautiful sights you can't get on a cruise and I prefer I driving vacations over a cruise. And since you're driving, I suggest you stay in the Anchorage to Fairbanks area. That way you can get the most out of your visit. Alaska is such a huge state you can spend your entire life visiting and not cover it all.

The Anchorage downtown area offers fun shopping and restaurants. I suggest Polar Bear Gifts and Snow City Cafe in particular. If you're a coffee person, Kaladi Brothers tastes much better than Starbucks, so you might try them. The downtown area is pretty small so you can park and walk the entire stretch pretty easily. It does rain frequently, so be sure and carry an umbrella or raincoat with you.

Alaska offers a train that will take you all the way from Anchorage to Fairbanks or to smaller cities in between. I recommend it to all tourists. It's reasonably priced and you get breathtaking views of the forest. And don't forget Denali National Park. It's a can't miss when traveling to AK.

If you're in the mood for a little more driving, you can check out the tiny fishing town of Seward. They offer a 6 hour day cruise which allows you to see glaciers, whales, and sea otters. If you go to Seward, bring a heavy coat. The biting wind of the ocean will chill you to the bone, even in the summer.

Homer is another charming fishing village with gorgeous scenery and shopping. If you go there, check out Fat Olives Pizza. It's amazing! Last of all, if you're doing any out of town driving, it's a very good idea to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle or a least something tough and rugged. Mountain roads are tough to navigate in a compact car, especially in the rain and many curves have huge drop-offs without guardrails I hope that helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or