Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 05:46 PM

420 posts, read 468,868 times

Advertisements

I haven't been on an airplane post-911 so I'm not sure if travel luggage pre 9/11 are still OK to use. I do not own any to begin with so I'm shopping around to see where I can get a good deal from. I've seen prices anywhere from $60 for a 3-4 set travel luggage all the way up to a few hundred bucks. Doesn't most airlines only allow 2 free travel luggage on board, depending on size and weight? So in that case which 2 luggage would you get that would make travel as smooth as possible and still be able to bring what I need to bring with me?

I've always traveled by car so it's been years since I've been on an airplane travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 06:01 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
TSA really is not a factor in choosing luggage.

Most Airlines allow One (1) Carry On Bag and One (1) Personal Item.

The Carry on MUST fit in the overhead bin, The Overhead bin size bags vary some from airline to airline, But are around (22 x 14 x 9 in)

The Personal Must fit under the seat in front of you. ~14x14x6

The high priced bags that are for sale tend to fall into two categories,
"Status" Designer labels or Better Built for Heavy Travelers.

https://www.luggageonline.com/travel...d-restrictions

TSA rules : https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips

Old 12-08-2016, 06:39 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Flyonpa nailed it.

One other thing: that 22" x 14" x 9" maximum dimension for the carryon includes the wheels and the (retracted) handle. That generally means the case itself can only be 20" long and still fit in the sizer. Take a tape measure with you when you shop, so you don't by a piece that's marketed as a carryon but which is technically too large.

And if you routinely carry a purse, briefcase, etc., THAT is your personal item. You don't get two pieces of luggage plus a purse!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:15 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
I avoid flying whenever possible and drive instead. That way I can carry as much luggage as I want. And a gun

Old 12-08-2016, 09:21 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I avoid flying whenever possible and drive instead. That way I can carry as much luggage as I want. And a gun
You can bring a gun in checked bag, if in a locked box and unloaded.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:04 AM

Might as well not have a gun if it's collecting dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
You can bring a gun in checked bag, if in a locked box and unloaded.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:05 AM

Yeah good call. I do prefer to drive. Didn't know flying these days sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Old 12-10-2016, 12:30 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
Yeah good call. I do prefer to drive. Didn't know flying these days sucks.
Flying's still the fastest and safest way to cover distances exceeding about 500 miles. Don't let people's griping put you off of it, because they're generally exaggerating how horrible it is. Just be prepared, know what you're allowed to bring on the plane and what has to be checked, and give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport (you want to be there at least 2 hours early, and during extremely busy seasons earlier is safer). Expect the whole thing to feel like riding a bus in the sky, and you won't be unpleasantly surprised.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:42 PM

so if I were to look for a travel luggage it must be described as 22" x 14" x 9" (or smaller just in case?). Could be 20" x 14" x 9"? I guess only a coat could fit in it? LOL.

So would my backpack be then my personal item? What if it's 22" x 14" x 9"? Would that be considered as my carry-on and NOT my personal item anymore?

These 2 would be "free" to carry on a plane but what if I have more luggage, I know I'd be paying fees for it, right? or everyone is only allowed to bring 2 travel luggage (carry-on and personal item) regardless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Flyonpa nailed it.

One other thing: that 22" x 14" x 9" maximum dimension for the carryon includes the wheels and the (retracted) handle. That generally means the case itself can only be 20" long and still fit in the sizer. Take a tape measure with you when you shop, so you don't by a piece that's marketed as a carryon but which is technically too large.

And if you routinely carry a purse, briefcase, etc., THAT is your personal item. You don't get two pieces of luggage plus a purse!

Old 12-10-2016, 04:58 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Your Backpack (Personal Item) More like a Day pack MUST fit under the seat in front of you.
Your Coat you would place on top of the carry on, So it does not use the the carry on space.

If you need to take more stuff, you would need to Check it, Check fees vary from airline to airline and how you pay it.

Check bags have size & weight limit also.

The cost can be Free to ???, Some airlines charge more if you pay at the airport, then when you check-in you select the bag then and pay for it in advance.

Sort of Yes, Everyone get 1 Carry On, 1 Personal Item. (Some airline now charge for CarryOn's). But if you are up in first class they generally will let you get away with a little more. (You are paying 10x as much), One CarryOn and Two Personal item is not unusually for 1st Class (Biz also)

Last edited by flyonpa; 12-10-2016 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel