Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 05:06 PM

992 posts, read 1,225,052 times

Advertisements

A Google search will answer all of your questions ... versus going back and forth for days ...

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/baggage.jsp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 07:43 PM

7,745 posts, read 6,318,129 times
The wheel is man's most wonderful invention, be sure to get good ones.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:32 AM

420 posts, read 462,616 times
you mean cars? or wheel for the travel luggage? I'm confused.

speaking of wheels; I may just travel by car and I'm planning on renting one instead of putting all that mileage in my new car. I'm sure my car could handle 1000 miles of drive (round trip), but if it's cheaper to rent I want to know where I can get the deals. Is Avis the one I should look into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The wheel is man's most wonderful invention, be sure to get good ones.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,942,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post

speaking of wheels; I may just travel by car and I'm planning on renting one instead of putting all that mileage in my new car. I'm sure my car could handle 1000 miles of drive (round trip), but if it's cheaper to rent I want to know where I can get the deals. Is Avis the one I should look into?

Wheels on the Luggage:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Exp...odeID=15743261

My preference is for a two wheeler, that you pull behind you as you walk, Four wheeler are very popular also but you have to "steer" them more and they don't pull well behind you, work better if you move it along the side of you.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-DK3...odeID=15743261

(Note they are just pictures of 2 vs 4 wheeler's, Not a recommendaion to buy or not, just pictures)

Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,942,148 times
Car Rentals:

Personally I Like Hertz, But Avis is also on par with Hertz.

Hertz/Avis have the highest level of Customer Service.

Things to check think about when renting a car.

CDW: Collision Damage Insurance can run $8-15+/day Check to see what coverage your credit cards have
(BTW you will need a credit card to rent a car, unless you have thousands of dollars n your debit card that can be put on hold for the term of the rental), If you have AMEX, you can add Rental Car coverage for ~$20/Rental (Not per day) in most states, to your card options.

Taxes/Fees: There are lots of them, Sales Taxes, Registration Fee, Airport Taxes, Rental Car Facility Fees Etc. Can run $10+ a day.

Return on time, The grace period is around ~15min then you get charged. Cars are charged in 24hr time periods, With hourly charges for ~3-4hrs into the next period before it get billed for next 24hrs.

Gas: Three Options:
1. PerPay for the "Full" tank, Return it empty (Rental Car company makes extra $'s on that cause no one pushes the car into the lot.
2. Fill it before you return it. Stop near the airport and fill the tank. Best Deal cost wise, (If you only drive less then ~100miles on the rental, be prepared to show (after the fact also) the Fill ticket time/date stamped).
3. Return and let them fill it @ 3-4x the street price for gas.

Check Out/Check In: Take pictures of the entire car, when you get it, when you return it. When you check it out, they will give you a pre-existing damage form. Have them Mark EVERYTHING, every scratch, every nick, every dent, check the windows, the interior . It seem at check out the line "Any thing smaller then a quarter is ok" But on check in its now smaller then a dime.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:23 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,249,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Wheels on the Luggage:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Exp...odeID=15743261

My preference is for a two wheeler, that you pull behind you as you walk, Four wheeler are very popular also but you have to "steer" them more and they don't pull well behind you, work better if you move it along the side of you.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-DK3...odeID=15743261

(Note they are just pictures of 2 vs 4 wheeler's, Not a recommendaion to buy or not, just pictures)
I much prefer a 4 wheeled spinner. Much more easy to navigate, especially if you are in a crowded area and rushing to catch a connecting flight. You can maneuver with the bag in front of you, beside you, etc. with ease. Mine pulls well behind me but I rarely do that, it's more clumsy for me, especially when you make a turn (it tends to flip) and again, if in a crowd, you risk someone tripping over it. I also like the spinner when boarding the plane, too, as I can push it easily down the aisle in front of me.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:25 AM

19,391 posts, read 27,674,607 times
Quote:

You're renting a car to avoid putting 1000 miles on your own "new car"? That's kinda nuts. (unless, maybe, your new car is a gas guzzling huge SUV or Hummer, which was already a questionable use of your hard earned dollars.)

Old 12-13-2016, 09:36 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,249,585 times
Quote:

Go to any travel site (Orbitz, Expedia, etc) and search car rentals there. Avis is just one of many companies to use. IME I always go with the cheapest option and it's always been fine.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:43 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,897,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
You can bring a gun in checked bag, if in a locked box and unloaded.
An unloaded, checked gun in a locked box does me no good at all. So I'll stick with driving my car and carrying my loaded weapon within arm's reach.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:16 PM

19,391 posts, read 27,674,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
An unloaded, checked gun in a locked box does me no good at all. So I'll stick with driving my car and carrying my loaded weapon within arm's reach.
Don't go south of the border, Scooby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel