U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:18 PM

4,006 posts, read 3,262,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I keep a password protected file with credit card numbers [u]and the phone numbers to the cc company [/U in Dropbox. I also keep photocopies of our passports and driver's licenses in there. I keep the emailed plane, hotel, car rental, tour reservations in my email in a special folder. ALL of this can be accessed on my smart phone or any computer device.

The biggest protection, imho, is setting up TWO different credit cards AND TWO separate debit card accounts. Capital One is great for this - they don't charge the international transaction fee on cc purchases or ATM withdrawals.
You're a woman after my own heart, using Dropbox. I keep photos of the critical items on a locked folder in (a photo sharing service I've been with ten years). I keep my travel plans on Google Drive, which isn't sensitive info.

Two credit cards, two debit...for a couple, maybe. Redundancy is good, must say.

I'm a somewhat-seasoned traveller, to Europe and Africa plus south Asia. Various third world countries (half dozen or so, not "tons" but a few). I figure precautions taken in some of the dangerous places I've been should apply to less-dangerous Europe in this case (Zimbabwe and India come to mind, where people occasionally disappear).

I have a little black notebook in a waterproof bag, and pen, serving two functions: one, a place to write impressions if there is no other entertainment. Two, addresses and phone numbers of American embassies in these countries (or consulates). I have this info doubled-down electronically, but in the hypothetical were my phone gone too I'd not be able to find it there, or online. Hey, Harare and parts of Bangalore have WiFi these days, ask me how I know. Oh, one more thing: the hot lines for my two credit / debit cards, if lost or stolen. That's clearly for emergencies, haven't needed it yet.

So...I've had nothing major stolen, ever, using a neck wallet. Mine is Swiss Army, there are many types. There is no trip where I would not bring this, other than domestic business. It's simply on me 24 hours other than bathing, and if I go to the pool my stuff is in the safe, period, or if they have none in the room checked in with the front desk (an extra stop, to be sure).

How did that fail for OP, it's nearly foolproof other than strong-arm robbery? I've been to places with guns in the streets...Mexico comes to mind... and not had that happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 01:21 PM

12,299 posts, read 18,421,290 times
It's no problem usually and happens quite frequently with tourists. Go back to your hotel and tell them what's going on. Eventually they will help you find a contact to your credit card company and tell them of the situation - they will verify your identity another way and you make arrangement from there - credit card replacement, etc. Won't matter where you are.
My credit card - AMEX - has a service for these instances, everything is taken care of - cash advances, etc. All major credit cards should have some version of this.
As a last resort there is always the US Embassy who also handles problems like that up to and including giving stranded travelers loans...replacing passports, etc.

But prevention is #1 : When out and about - passports stay in the room, maybe keep an extra credit card in the room (although I never do that myself). Cash? I typically travel out of the country with maybe $5 in my pocket and obtain cash as I need it from local ATMs. Cash is never an issue. Obviously in Europe pickpocketing and theft is a common practice, much more than the US. They have it down to a science. Basically any and everything out of your sight in Europe for a second will be stolen. Use the traditional safeguards - aware of crowds, limit access, leave nothing in automobiles, etc.

Unless you are really out in the middle of nowhere in some 3rd world backwater, 99% of the times the above will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
My cousin travels overseas for work a lot. Every single time she gets singled out, pulled aside, searched and questioned. She finally asked why and apparently since her passport was lost/stolen and she needed to get a new one she is permanently on the watch list. Sucks for her but somewhat understandable.
Yes I have heard this too. Stolen US Passports are very valuable in the black-market. If you have one stolen expect a permenant place on the watch list and having to "stand tall before the man" on US re-entry each and every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
On another note does anyone know if you have to carry your passport on you as ID as a US citizen in Spain? I don't remember needing it for anything in Barcelona but don't want to have any issues with this.
No. You usually need it to check into a hotel and, of course, upon departure at the airport. Otherwise no need to carry with you.

Last edited by Dd714; 12-12-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 01:43 PM

3,210 posts, read 3,201,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
You're a woman after my own heart, using Dropbox. I keep photos of the critical items on a locked folder in (a photo sharing service I've been with ten years). I keep my travel plans on Google Drive, which isn't sensitive info.

Two credit cards, two debit...for a couple, maybe. Redundancy is good, must say.

I'm a somewhat-seasoned traveller, to Europe and Africa plus south Asia. Various third world countries (half dozen or so, not "tons" but a few). I figure precautions taken in some of the dangerous places I've been should apply to less-dangerous Europe in this case (Zimbabwe and India come to mind, where people occasionally disappear).

I have a little black notebook in a waterproof bag, and pen, serving two functions: one, a place to write impressions if there is no other entertainment. Two, addresses and phone numbers of American embassies in these countries (or consulates). I have this info doubled-down electronically, but in the hypothetical were my phone gone too I'd not be able to find it there, or online. Hey, Harare and parts of Bangalore have WiFi these days, ask me how I know. Oh, one more thing: the hot lines for my two credit / debit cards, if lost or stolen. That's clearly for emergencies, haven't needed it yet.

So...I've had nothing major stolen, ever, using a neck wallet. Mine is Swiss Army, there are many types. There is no trip where I would not bring this, other than domestic business. It's simply on me 24 hours other than bathing, and if I go to the pool my stuff is in the safe, period, or if they have none in the room checked in with the front desk (an extra stop, to be sure).

How did that fail for OP, it's nearly foolproof other than strong-arm robbery? I've been to places with guns in the streets...Mexico comes to mind... and not had that happen?
The neck wallet did not fail for me. I didn't have one when I got pic pocketed in Paris. Thus I have one that I use now.

I also registered via the SMART program with the embassies of the countries in traveling to:
https://travelregistration.state.gov...e/Default.aspx

I will also keep a small notecard with my card company phone numbers, embassy info, and hotel info just in case (thanks for reminding me).

Old 12-12-2016, 02:07 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,471,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I carry my Pac-Safe crossbody bag with me. And like RooCeleste, that bag NEVER leaves my body - not even when I go to potty in a public toilet. You might want to invest in one - they're not that expensive and it can serve as your day bag. Mine is waterproof and big enough to hold a bottle of water, an umbrella, and a cardigan / scarf. And you can lock the bag while it's on your body so you don't have to worry about thiefs in a packed metro or a bus.
Which Pac-Safe do you have that has that much room? I think I need one of those! Mine is kind of ugly -- brown, nylon-ish and a half moon shape, but if I could find one with more room that is cute, I'd be all over it! Domestically, I carry a Baggalini Big Sydney crossbody that is much more stylish. LOL

Old 12-12-2016, 03:47 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,825 times
You may want to check if your bank has a partner bank in the countries that you will be in. It may be easier to try to get cash from them it you don't have bank cards but have ID.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:25 PM

576 posts, read 639,199 times
We've traveled extensively and it seems like on every trip, we've met someone who fell victim to pick- pockets. We use the very crowded public metro systems to get around, so we've learned to be especially careful.

1. The Safe Pac is an essential. I carry mine across my body with my arm folded over it. Everything valuable is enclosed in a zippered interior pocket and then guarded with an exterior hook flap. I do not carry my passport with me on a daily basis, but I do carry a paper copy along with my driver's license. My husband uses an interior money belt. He never puts anything in the pocket of his jeans or trousers.

2. I wear minimal jewelry that will not draw attention.

3. We've learned that pick-pockets are very prevalent in town centers where crowds gather to shop and dine. They're often disguised as street performers, beggars, junk sellers, etc. So best to take extra care.

4. We do bring some cash abroad, but not much. Along with our passports, we store cash in our hotel room safe and take out small amounts if we need it. We use a credit card about 90% of the time.

5. Before we leave on a trip, we always notify our credit card company to inform them of our travel plans. There is a number on the back of our credit card for this purpose. They will then put a watch on our card and flag / freeze it if they notice unusual activity. We also take a country-coded phone number for our bank, in case we need to contact them.

6. We leave both of our adult children a photo copy of our passports, travel itinerary, flight information and hotel/B&B phone numbers. We also use a free app called Viber. Anyone with an Apple smart phone can text another Viber user for free. For an extra $10 (up to 1 month), you can phone anyone free who uses the app. We also take an iPad, since virtually every hotel has wifi these days.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:47 PM

620 posts, read 1,195,904 times
Call the credit card companies and let them know you will be traveling abroad so they don't shut down your card thinking it was stolen.

Don't ask me how I know this.....

Old 12-13-2016, 08:19 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,030,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aredhel View Post
a money belt or neck wallet worn under your clothes should only be used to carry your emergency stash, and never accessed in public! Put the money you expect to need for the day, a credit card, and possibly an atm card in your purse/daypack (which you will keep a close eye on), and your emergency credit card and extra emergency cash in your moneybelt. If you miscalculate and do need to dip into your emergency cash, go to the bathroom (locked stall) to make the transfer.

That way, if you are pickpocketed or (worse) robbed, the odds are good the thieves won't get everything, just your purse/daypack. They can't steal what they can't see!
exactly!

Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 940,300 times
Few things I learned after many trips abroad
1. Wear money belt and keep passport and high value currency in it.
2. Copies of passport - one in cloud and one physical copy.
3. When we renew the passport we have a passport card along with it. For the extra $30 it works well as a ID and can be used in place of passport abroad, except when you have to board a plane at which time you need the actual passport book.
4. If TSA is becoming a hassle, get global entry. For $100, valid for 5 years, well worth it.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:40 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,912,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Which Pac-Safe do you have that has that much room? I think I need one of those! Mine is kind of ugly -- brown, nylon-ish and a half moon shape, but if I could find one with more room that is cute, I'd be all over it! Domestically, I carry a Baggalini Big Sydney crossbody that is much more stylish. LOL
Roo, I've had mine for quite a number of years and I just realized it's not PacSafe but Travelon, LOL! Sorry! It's similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti..._encoding=UTF8 - except the top of my bag doesn't have the 'U' shape in the picture.

It's served me well for all my travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or