U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your preferred mode of transportation?
Car 21 30.00%
Bus 1 1.43%
Train 13 18.57%
Plane 16 22.86%
Boat 4 5.71%
Truck 1 1.43%
Bike 4 5.71%
Motorcycle 1 1.43%
Hand gliding 0 0%
Balloon 2 2.86%
Something else or can't decide 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:25 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,481,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am not sure if the plane is better than 300km/h high speed train it you need to travel for 1000km.
Probably not, assuming the train goes where you want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 06:02 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
I prefer to walk and take public transportation. cars are way more convenient but i like the idea of walking more and sitting in a car is boring to me.

Renting a car is a really annoying / expensive process anyways, it seems like all the rental companies want to scam you and its a pretty big expense. get rid of the rental car and use that money for a nicer hotel or just use it on the next trip.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:06 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,256,551 times
Definitely driving my own car.

It's relatively inexpensive, I have the freedom to stop as frequently or infrequently as I please and can make stops in the places that I choose. I get to see a lot of different scenery and one of my hobbies is photography so I sometimes get the opportunity to pull off and get some great shots.

I used to like flying as a second choice but now it is a major pain in the arse. Arriving at the airport 2 hours before the flight time, spending an hour in line for security screening, frequent flight delays--if it's less than 700 miles away, I'm driving there, LOL. If I have more than a couple of days to get there and it's further than 700 miles away, I will seriously consider driving there

Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Definitely driving my own car.

It's relatively inexpensive, I have the freedom to stop as frequently or infrequently as I please and can make stops in the places that I choose. I get to see a lot of different scenery and one of my hobbies is photography so I sometimes get the opportunity to pull off and get some great shots.

I used to like flying as a second choice but now it is a major pain in the arse. Arriving at the airport 2 hours before the flight time, spending an hour in line for security screening, frequent flight delays--if it's less than 700 miles away, I'm driving there, LOL. If I have more than a couple of days to get there and it's further than 700 miles away, I will seriously consider driving there

I certainly agree! Used to love flying but no more. Dread it now. I love road trips in the U.S. until you get to traffic. Parts of I-70 you can be the only car on the Interstate! And the scenery!

I wish there were trains---that'd be my favorite. Here, its busses or taxis. Not a big fan of either, but we don't have a car anymore. I wish also that there were ships between here and the U.S. so we didn't have to fly when its time for a visit back there.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 PM

4,152 posts, read 1,892,872 times
We were in China a few months ago on a tour.
Beijing Airport Terminal is huge.
The High Speed Rail Station is even bigger. Trains run every 15-30 minutes and gets you there in a reasonable amount of time and with better food with choice.

We travel to see son from south of PDX to SEA via train. 210 miles. Son drives that distance in 3.5-4.0 hours. We have driven that distance in 4.0 hours, 8.0 hours (backtrack 50 miles on I-5, after rest-stop) and 10 hours (shooting on I-5). Both of were tired after driving and co-piloting. On the train we both can sleep or internet of mossy over to the bistro car. We are also discovering that we have difficulty in driving at night. The Amtrak, we can take an evening train without problems.

Favor train anything over 100miles.
Plane for 400 miles.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 AM

1,687 posts, read 2,057,134 times
On a boat ..,. headed to warm places ... laying back, soaking in the sun ... being served exotic alcoholic beverages ... going to sleep ... waking ... doing the same thing the next day(s).

Was that one of the choices?

Old 01-03-2017, 08:24 AM

432 posts, read 239,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
On a boat ..,. headed to warm places ... laying back, soaking in the sun ... being served exotic alcoholic beverages ... going to sleep ... waking ... doing the same thing the next day(s).

Was that one of the choices?
Yes. It's on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or