U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 05:48 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,061,671 times

Advertisements

Call the hotel directly, say you have an 80 lb dog and would like to stay there, ask if it's ok, if not got to the La Quinta down the street. (The one in Twin Falls is exceptional if you're heading that way) I've brought in 60ish dogs on a 50lb limit, no scale to weigh them ever and no comment either but that is a small weight difference not twice the limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:01 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,782,602 times
If you're going to take the time to pick a hotel that is pet friendly, spend the extra 60 seconds to find one that meets your specific pets needs.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:25 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,012,247 times
Never had the problem, our last dog was 4 pounds, the one before him was 15 pounds.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:43 PM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What I do is when I make the reservation, I tell them about the dogs and let them decide before I finish making the reservation.

You have to call the actual motel that you will be staying at, not the national 800 number. The national folks will tell you what the policy is and the local people will most often make an exception for you, as long as you aren't trying to sneak the pet in.

I would not just show up at the door with my oversize dog and my fingers crossed hoping I had a place to stay.
Good advice.

Although our dog is only about 25 pounds, we have BEEN ALLOWED to bring him to hotels and rentals that had stated no pets allowed policies. We crate train him. He has passed his canine good citizen tests. He is non shedding and fixed. We offer references. We are honest and ASK permission. We offer extra refundable deposits.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:55 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,322,174 times
My 95 lb. dog stayed in all manner of motels as long as they accepted pets at all. Online I may have seen that a particular place didn't want dogs over a certain weight limit but that was just in passing as I searched for possible places to stay prior to leaving on a trip. Since I never could be sure where I would get to on any given day of driving, I rarely made reservations in advance. I just walk in and say I don't have a reservation .. do you have a room for me and my dog? I have never once had any motel/hotel tell me that they would not accept my dog if they accepted dogs at all - and I am sure some of them supposedly had arbitrary 'weight limits'. I doubt ANY place that takes dogs has a scale though - I certainly never saw one and I have stayed in many different motels/hotels with my dog.

That said, I hated when I had to take a room on the 2nd floor with no easy access to outside without going through the front door or could otherwise not get to my room without passing by the lobby desk when I had my dog with me - just in case they said anything. Not one ever did though.

Frankly I am not really sure why it makes any difference - if you take dogs at all, why does it matter that the dog is over 40 lbs vs being under 40 lbs. Under 40 lb dogs are often much louder (my dog didn't make a sound EVER, I have never met a Chihuahua who was silent), can be just as destructive (my dog never was) and can shed just as much (this one I admit my dog did do sometimes but I cleaned up as much as I could when that happened) - and we pay a hefty fee these days at most motels for the 'privilege' of having a dog in the room for the few hours we are there - which is ostensibly to cover the shedding for the most part I think. If the dog made too much noise, I bet management would ask that it be silenced or removed. If the dog did a lot of damage, I am sure the management would make the owner pay for that damage above and beyond the extra 'fee'.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:29 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,675,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Suppose a hotel accepts pets but they must be under 40 lbs, and you're dog is 80 lbs. You are on a road trip 400 miles from home and you already made the reservation and you are at the door.

Does the hotel cancel the reservation? Do they let it go on a case by case basis? Do you get your money back so you can go to the nearest La Quinta hotel without weight limits? Do they have a kind of weight scale they have at the vet's office?
If you already knew the weight limits and went anyway you need to rethink your attitude, because it all falls on you.
If you weren't informed until you got to the hotel about weight limits, it's on the hotel.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:26 AM

6,192 posts, read 2,860,021 times
Our upscale hotel that I was employed, never refused dogs/cats. We charged the proper fee.

One guest I recall had a 120 lb shepard, it was his service dog. He was in the military so we had regard for his training skills with the dog.

I find it counter productive for a business dealing in hospitality to not want to be respecting of travelers who need their pet for safety or as the family companion.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:21 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,783,357 times
You know I have stayed at motel 6 with my dogs with no problem however one of them told me I would not get housekeeping services because I had dogs . I was only staying two nights so to heck with the housekeeping and I had brought cleaning supplies with me and latex gloves and paper towels and some Lysol liquid and the can . I usually carry those things with me while traveling with my dog anyways . I have never had a problem at motel 6 and they never asked the weight of my dog . You might be better off at using motel 6 OP .

Old 12-22-2016, 06:44 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,862,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I park as far away from the office as possible and leave my dog(s) in the car. Mine aren't barkers and sleep on their own blankets. I double the housekeeping tip.

mostly I just hope for the best. I've never been turned away or asked to leave.

You leave the dog(s) in the car? What is the weather like when you do this?

Old 12-22-2016, 07:40 AM

9,788 posts, read 5,004,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You leave the dog(s) in the car? What is the weather like when you do this?
I think s/he meant just during the check-in process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel