U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 08:12 AM

13,826 posts, read 18,815,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
My 95 lb. dog stayed in all manner of motels as long as they accepted pets at all. Online I may have seen that a particular place didn't want dogs over a certain weight limit but that was just in passing as I searched for possible places to stay prior to leaving on a trip. Since I never could be sure where I would get to on any given day of driving, I rarely made reservations in advance. I just walk in and say I don't have a reservation .. do you have a room for me and my dog? I have never once had any motel/hotel tell me that they would not accept my dog if they accepted dogs at all - and I am sure some of them supposedly had arbitrary 'weight limits'. I doubt ANY place that takes dogs has a scale though - I certainly never saw one and I have stayed in many different motels/hotels with my dog.

That said, I hated when I had to take a room on the 2nd floor with no easy access to outside without going through the front door or could otherwise not get to my room without passing by the lobby desk when I had my dog with me - just in case they said anything. Not one ever did though.

Frankly I am not really sure why it makes any difference - if you take dogs at all, why does it matter that the dog is over 40 lbs vs being under 40 lbs. Under 40 lb dogs are often much louder (my dog didn't make a sound EVER, I have never met a Chihuahua who was silent), can be just as destructive (my dog never was) and can shed just as much (this one I admit my dog did do sometimes but I cleaned up as much as I could when that happened) - and we pay a hefty fee these days at most motels for the 'privilege' of having a dog in the room for the few hours we are there - which is ostensibly to cover the shedding for the most part I think. If the dog made too much noise, I bet management would ask that it be silenced or removed. If the dog did a lot of damage, I am sure the management would make the owner pay for that damage above and beyond the extra 'fee'.
Boy you should come to my house I have trained my chi to only bark once and that is it . I don't have a problem anywhere I go with them because I insist on strict training practices .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 PM

12,190 posts, read 10,389,006 times
I take your money, cancel your room, and slap you with a wet fish.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:55 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,173,041 times
It's silly to reserve a hotel room at a hotel you aren't sure will take your dog! LaQuinta is super dog friendly as is Motel 6. Just book at one of them. I travel with 4-5 large dogs (golden retrievers and a lab) and haven't had any issues, but I also don't try to sneak them in or lie about their size, or the number of dogs I am traveling with. They don't bark and are used to staying in hotels, so they are perfect guests (3 of the 5 are therapy dogs, one has her CGC and one is an old lady who has good manners).

Old 12-22-2016, 05:11 PM

516 posts, read 293,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
What happens if you show up at hotel with dog over weight limit?
Sneak it in and out in a suitcase....

Old 12-22-2016, 05:36 PM

6,953 posts, read 4,427,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Sneak it in and out in a suitcase....
Cmon guys, the next thing you know someone will suggest cutting the dog in half

Old 12-22-2016, 05:41 PM

516 posts, read 293,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Cmon guys, the next thing you know someone will suggest cutting the dog in half
I only say that because I've done it.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:26 PM

11,581 posts, read 13,643,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think s/he meant just during the check-in process.
Then why mention they have blankets to sleep on.
Can we give no one the benefit of the doubt on this site?
I'm willing to bet he doesn't leave his dog in the car when it's 90 degrees, or 2 below...

Old 12-23-2016, 02:37 AM

883 posts, read 931,617 times
Where did you book that had a weight limit? I've never seen that and I'm curious. I've stayed at quite a few pet friendly hotels.
To my knowledge La Quinta has no weight limit and I've seen people with lab size dogs at the Marriott extended stay hotels (towneplace suits and residence inn). Those both charge a flat $100 fee for bringing a pet, I don't think La Quinta charges a fee but I could be mistaken. Some of the motels I've stayed in charge like $10 and they don't have weight limits. Like travelodge...
Why not just take the extra time to make sure you won't have an issue since you know your pup is coming with you? I did...it wasn't that hard.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:27 AM

9,834 posts, read 5,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Then why mention they have blankets to sleep on.
Can we give no one the benefit of the doubt on this site?
I'm willing to bet he doesn't leave his dog in the car when it's 90 degrees, or 2 below...
Sigh ... the poster meant leave them in the car when checking in, then the dogs sleep on their blankets once they've been snuck into the room.

S/he was not suggesting leaving the dogs in the car overnight.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:18 AM

1,033 posts, read 640,156 times
Be prepared to tip the front desk agent.....like $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel