Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 12:37 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times

Advertisements

Suppose a hotel accepts pets but they must be under 40 lbs, and you're dog is 80 lbs. You are on a road trip 400 miles from home and you already made the reservation and you are at the door.

Does the hotel cancel the reservation? Do they let it go on a case by case basis? Do you get your money back so you can go to the nearest La Quinta hotel without weight limits? Do they have a kind of weight scale they have at the vet's office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 12:57 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Read the small print. The hotel reserves the right to refuse to rent you the room. And I'm betting they would. Since you would not have cancelled your reservation in the allowed time period, yes, they keep your money.

I don't get why the heĺl people play games like this. Makes it hard for the rest of us pet owners.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:24 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't get why the heĺl people play games like this. Makes it hard for the rest of us pet owners.
Agree.

OP whatever happens, and that could be a denied room and you and your 80 pound dog sleeping in your car for the evening, will be your fault.
Don't try to "game" the system.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:30 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
I have never had anyone check, usually we ask for an outer room convenient to a fire exit for potty trips and they give us a key and we are set.

Never had a dog under 40lbs...

then again I wasn't staying with dogs at the Hilton, more like a Holiday Inn, or Motel 6....

(so as a back up plan research other, motels near the one you have a reservation for, it should only be a problem if you are in some city like SF or NYC...)
we travelled a lot between coasts over the past 20 years, and many times did road trips with the dogs...

Old 12-21-2016, 02:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
You are making reservations at a hotel that has a 40lb limit on dogs and you show up with an 80lb dog.what do you expect them to do? what would you do? If i were the hotel manager i'd suggest you find another hotel as your dog doesnt comply with our rules.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:04 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What I do is when I make the reservation, I tell them about the dogs and let them decide before I finish making the reservation.

You have to call the actual motel that you will be staying at, not the national 800 number. The national folks will tell you what the policy is and the local people will most often make an exception for you, as long as you aren't trying to sneak the pet in.

I would not just show up at the door with my oversize dog and my fingers crossed hoping I had a place to stay.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:34 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Suppose a hotel accepts pets but they must be under 40 lbs, and you're dog is 80 lbs. You are on a road trip 400 miles from home and you already made the reservation and you are at the door.

Does the hotel cancel the reservation? Do they let it go on a case by case basis? Do you get your money back so you can go to the nearest La Quinta hotel without weight limits? Do they have a kind of weight scale they have at the vet's office?
They have the right to tell you to hit bricks. No one needs a scale to be able to tell that a dog is twice their limit. And if you pre-paid for the room, there's probably no cancellation allowance, so they could keep your money.

So in short, you could find yourself far from home with no place to stay and a little poorer.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What I do is when I make the reservation, I tell them about the dogs and let them decide before I finish making the reservation.

You have to call the actual motel that you will be staying at, not the national 800 number. The national folks will tell you what the policy is and the local people will most often make an exception for you, as long as you aren't trying to sneak the pet in.

I would not just show up at the door with my oversize dog and my fingers crossed hoping I had a place to stay.
It has also been my experience that the 800 number will read you a very restrictive pet policy, but when you call the specific motel and ask about weight or breed restrictions, they don't have any. My previous dog was a German shepherd, a breed that is often restricted, so I always made sure to verify that they would take her and kept a record of the employee's name. Now I have a Saint Bernard, a breed that is never restricted but is also not going to pass for 40 pounds.

To bypass this fuss, I now plan all my trips around Red Roof Inns and La Quinta's, both of which don't have any restrictions. I get a room on the ground floor near an exit, and the person at the front desk never even sees my dog.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:29 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
I park as far away from the office as possible and leave my dog(s) in the car. Mine aren't barkers and sleep on their own blankets. I double the housekeeping tip.

mostly I just hope for the best. I've never been turned away or asked to leave.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:11 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are making reservations at a hotel that has a 40lb limit on dogs and you show up with an 80lb dog.what do you expect them to do? what would you do? If i were the hotel manager i'd suggest you find another hotel as your dog doesnt comply with our rules.
^^^ This! Why push their buttons? You know your dog weight. You know their restrictions. If you show up with a dog twice the weight, you should bear the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel