U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:11 PM

636 posts, read 280,863 times

Advertisements

In my opinion Budapesht is much more beautiful than Prague.
The river at night is incredible.

I also got food poisoning in Prague
You probably won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 11:18 PM

13,414 posts, read 21,978,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Both are very interesting cities that are worth visiting. But they are really different in what they offer. Prague is the more upscale of the two. It was largely spared by World War II since Czechoslovakia surrendered to Germany without any fighting... All the beautiful buildings are well taken care of and the center of Prague is an open architectural museum. But I wouldn't go there in a summer as the historic center has very few trees and the river flowing through the town is relatively narrow and does not cool down the city too much. Prague is pretty expensive but still cheaper than major Western countries.

Budapest was nearly totaled in World War II during the siege by the Soviet Army. Most of the main buildings were either restored or rebuilt and they probably don't look the same as they used to. The Parliament building and the Opera building are the most beautiful in Pest, I would say. But Budapest offers a lot of outdoor activities that are not related to sight seeing. It has amazing mineral bath houses that I think everyone who is in Budapest should visit at least once. Buda part of the city is hilly and sparsely populated and thus offers miles of challenging hiking and perhaps mountain biking. There are even caves under Budapest and a few cave tours are offered. And you can spend hours just wondering along Danube and admitting the views and the bridges. So I think Budapest is a good choice for summer traveling. It is also a lot cheaper than Prague...

The only problem of course is the unpleasant government of Hungary. But the city is definitely worth visiting...
What sort of problems did you encounter? How did the unpleasant government mar your visit?

Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 AM

29,554 posts, read 16,523,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Planning a Europe trip this summer and I've been to most of the cities I've wanted to visit in Western Europe but have never been to Eastern Europe..

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to Prague and Budapest but having a tough time deciding. I do enjoy museums/arts/culture etc but also just enjoy walking around the streets of a place and taking in the architecture and street life. Nightlife is a consideration but certainly not a major one. Food is also a consideration along with value for money.

I welcome any insight posters have regarding both or even one. Any details about the place, the people, vibe, energy, value for dollar and just anything you want to convey about it or both would be appreciated!

Thanks...
Both are wonderful. You should fly into one, then rent a car and drive to the other. You can visit lots of interesting small towns along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or