U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 11:30 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,990,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
No budget, only what I feel like spending. If I don't think it is worth it to travel somewhere, I don't.

I keep it simple.

We don't have a travel budget either. At the beginning of the year we look at what our bills are and decide if we should take a trip or not. We usually do an adult only trip for 2 or 3 days and then a big family trip for 5-7 days. Depending on our finances will depend on what type of trip we take that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 08:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,584 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I've been looking at RTW business class tickets and they are more like $11,000 and up. Does anybody have recent experience with RTW tickets?
We had plenty of miles, but ended up doing our's ala carte, cuz regional fares are so cheap, restrictions on a RTW can be significant (we didn't want a set itinerary for a whole yr trip). Good thing, as we found places we enjoyed and stayed months extra. We also took a couple legs via ship. (Unplanned, but nice and CHEAP).

Our yr out cost us (2) less than 200,000 miles, and maybe a thousand dollars in regional fares (often <$60). Rental cars and camper vans were too expensive. Next time we will buy a euro delivery, and buy and sell in other areas, via local ads. Many people are doing that, ez to resell.

We only stayed in 6 hotels, the rest were friends, camps, farms, guest homes (free to $20 /night)
7 of 8 Air B&B's were terrible. YMMV.

We had no significant agenda, just followed spring / flowers/ botanical gardens around the globe. Our only Must see, was Tulips in The Netherlands. Tulips were great (but chilly), The Netherlands and nearby regions were very nice and enjoyable, so we stayed an extra month. Bicycling / fresh markets were very nice.

Only hassle was online cell access to validate accts. And when changing destinations Too often. Next trips will be more centralized from ez hubs. (Renting cottage or volunteering at a boarding school near a few good airports)

Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,186,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We don't have a travel budget either. At the beginning of the year we look at what our bills are and decide if we should take a trip or not. We usually do an adult only trip for 2 or 3 days and then a big family trip for 5-7 days. Depending on our finances will depend on what type of trip we take that year.
I think I'm lucky in that my job affords me free airfare, but I'm still not going all-out on vacations throughout the year. Sometimes, a good adults on trip is just what is needed.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:37 AM

7,101 posts, read 3,461,680 times
Since we retired in 2003, we average 2K a month for travel.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:28 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,889,791 times
We've got two big trips this year: Miami this month and NYC in May for a week at a time. The Miami trip for flight, car and hotels totals: $3200. That's hotels directly on the beach and on the water in the keys. That's where the chunk of the money is. BF has never been so I'm doing the whole touristy thing including a convertible and best hotels in sobe and the keys. We'll have about 2k spending money but I'm from there so I know all the ins and outs and we'll be bringing our own alcohol. We'll definitely have money left over.

The hotel for NYC is prepaid and prebooked already. Got a hotel in Manhattan for a week for $1500 total. I booked that in Sept. Hotel is currently sold out. We're booking flight this week which should be around $800 RT for both of us from Denver. I'll pre book all the attractions so that should save us money as well. I'm thinking that will probably be a $4-5k trip with everything.

We usually go to Las Vegas every year but our hotels are comped so it's just flights and gambling/spending money. Usually is about $3-4k for a 3 day trip.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 AM

50 posts, read 46,999 times
I do not have a set travel budget but I can definitely say that majority of my disposable income goes to travelling every year. I personally feel like life is too short and travel is too important not to prioritize it but I definitely know not everyone has that same mentality. I am fortunate to have a job that gives me 8 1/2 weeks of PTO a year which allows for more travel time than most and to have a SO who is obsessed with the points game and is quite good at it so our travel costs are considerably lower than usual considering what our vacations are worth compared to what we actually pay. 2016 was a bit excessive: started the year in Bali and South Korea, 3 trips home to Hawaii, Mexico, multiple trips to Vancouver BC (SO is from there), 16 days in India, 3 Vegas trips, and we just got back from 2 weeks in Myanmar and Thailand, as well as our monthly commutes between LA (SO lives there) and Seattle (where I live); 2017 will definitely be much calmer.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,889,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamauiguy View Post
I do not have a set travel budget but I can definitely say that majority of my disposable income goes to travelling every year. I personally feel like life is too short and travel is too important not to prioritize it but I definitely know not everyone has that same mentality. I am fortunate to have a job that gives me 8 1/2 weeks of PTO a year which allows for more travel time than most and to have a SO who is obsessed with the points game and is quite good at it so our travel costs are considerably lower than usual considering what our vacations are worth compared to what we actually pay. 2016 was a bit excessive: started the year in Bali and South Korea, 3 trips home to Hawaii, Mexico, multiple trips to Vancouver BC (SO is from there), 16 days in India, 3 Vegas trips, and we just got back from 2 weeks in Myanmar and Thailand, as well as our monthly commutes between LA (SO lives there) and Seattle (where I live); 2017 will definitely be much calmer.
Wow!! What a great travel year!! Very lucky to have the PTO off as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or