U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 670 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I paid in full, through hotels.com for a 1 night stay in a howard johnson inn.

Money was taken out of my account a month ago, as I said it's paid in full.

Now, I used a paypal debit card.

Today, I only have $30 in my paypal debit card (I'm going to visit family btw and I have 1 stop in cleveland for 1 day)

So.

Is there going to be an authorization hold in my paypal debit card?

And if so, what happens if there's no money to cover it?

Is it outright declined? Or will paypal just have a hold that will take me negative for a few days before the release?

Please help me, I have to leave in 2 hours on my bus to cleveland and I need to know if I have to beg a friend for money (which I'd rather not do)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 07:12 AM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
You should call the number on the card and ask them, so you'll know for sure.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:23 AM

9,065 posts, read 9,494,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgrizzly View Post
Hi.

Today, I only have $30 in my paypal debit card (I'm going to visit family btw and I have 1 stop in cleveland for 1 day)

So.

Is it outright declined? Or will paypal just have a hold that will take me negative for a few days before the release?

Please help me, I have to leave in 2 hours on my bus to cleveland and I need to know if I have to beg a friend for money (which I'd rather not do)
Most hotels require a credit card to hold for a deposit. Do you have a different card you can give them for that? It doesn't have to be the same one you paid with.

You can call the hotel directly and they can tell you what the deposit will be

Old 12-23-2016, 07:24 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,892,396 times
You will be declined.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:32 AM

12,159 posts, read 10,333,551 times
Paying for a room isn't enough. They need to hold money in case you trash the place. It's always been this way. You will be declined.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:32 PM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
Even if you are on a tight budget, it is wise to have two credit cards. Use one for travel expenses, and the other as backup.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:32 PM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Most hotels require a credit card to hold for a deposit.
Debit is usually fine but they will put a hold on funds and if you don't have enough then that will be a problem.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:59 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
If you don't have enough funds on the debit card for the hold and don't have a credit card, the only other alternative is to give the hotel a cash deposit to hold (to be returned upon checking out of the hotel). I suggest you call the hotel in advance to find out how much cash deposit you would need for that.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:22 AM

2,395 posts, read 1,699,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgrizzly View Post
Hi.

So.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if $30.00 is all the money you've got in this world, Perhaps you should skip traveling and maybe take up a second job. I think your family will understand.

RR

Old 12-26-2016, 09:41 AM

9,065 posts, read 9,494,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Debit is usually fine but they will put a hold on funds and if you don't have enough then that will be a problem.
When I said "credit card" I was also including debit in that group. (They need something with a Visa or MC logo.) The problem with debit is it can often take longer to get those held funds back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel