U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:43 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,792,775 times

Advertisements

Next year mid September myself and a friend are planning on doing a road trip from San Fran, CA to Vancouver, WA. I've researched and it appears that it would take around 10 hours to do it if just driving straight there. However we will have about 11 days to do it.

We will be staying a couple days in one place...drive a bit..stay a couple of days in another place..drive a bit..etc. We do know that we will be staying a couple days in San Fran in the beginning, and then a couple of days in the Vancouver area at the end. It's the inbetween we are trying to figure out. We plan on having reservations for the places to stay at the start and end of our trip, and wing it inbetween, or figure that part out as we get closer to the time to leave.

Has anyone every did anything similar to this trip? Anything you would recommend in terms of things to see or do along the way? Of course we will be looking into that ourselves as the reason for doing the drive is to be able to visit places along the way. But any suggestions are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 04:26 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,640,072 times
What are you interested in? We were driving the opposite direction, because on the HWY101 you always drive on the coast side when you go southbound. However there are plenty of things to do, I enjoyed Cannon Beach and Florence in Oregon, we stayed overnight in Newport. Oswald West State Park was beautiful. We also liked the Redwood national park in Northen California as well as Muir wood just north of the Golden Gate.

Last edited by Douglas Dakota; 12-26-2016 at 04:39 AM..

Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,323,455 times
Well first, are you driving back? If you have eleven days for a round trip, with a couple in Portland/Vancouver, then that's going to make for a different plan than if you have eleven days for just a one-way trip.

In mid-late September you have a huge range of options. You can follow the coast, or head inland, even as far as the Rockies, before heading west. You could overshoot Portland/Vancouver and do a loop around the Olympic Peninsula, visiting Olympic National Park, even visit some of the islands in Puget Sound or spend a day or to in the "big" Vancouver, the one in Canada.

Here's an imaginary map that includes the redwoods, Oregon coast, Olympic National Park, Mt. Rainier National Park, and both the eastern and western Columbia Gorge. It's spectacular door-to-door, and needn't be too much of a slog. I've included a high-speed return to San Francisco if that's required. Google the places on the map for more information.

https://goo.gl/maps/PfbiBt46uSs

But this is only one of umpteen alternatives, depending on your preferences, where you've been before or not, whether you're interested in big cities, etc.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:46 PM

We are open to ideas. We will be researching what's near our route and what we can reasonably get to and see. Thanks for the suggestions already given! We like everything from the outdoors..beautiful landscapes, to the hustle and bustle of cities. We will be researching notable or well known things or places to visit in the area.

The trip is one way. So, we will leave from San Fran, then fly home from Vancouver once our time is up.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:13 PM

6,170 posts, read 6,339,623 times
Here is another suggestion.

From San Fran head over to highway 101 and head North to Crescent City, CA and play around in the redwoods. Then make your way over to Grants Pass, OR. From there head up the Rouge River Valley and then onto Crater Lake. From there make your way over to Bend, OR and then take highway 97 up to Biggs Junction. From there head West on I-84 thru the Columbia River Gorge to Portland, OR.

Another option would be to follow my route to Biggs Junction. Instead of heading west to Portland, continue North on highway 97 to Yakima, WA and then West across the Southern route across Mt Rainier National Park. From there head south to Vancouver.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Here is another suggestion.

From San Fran head over to highway 101 and head North to Crescent City, CA and play around in the redwoods. Then make your way over to Grants Pass, OR. From there head up the Rouge River Valley and then onto Crater Lake. From there make your way over to Bend, OR and then take highway 97 up to Biggs Junction. From there head West on I-84 thru the Columbia River Gorge to Portland, OR.

Another option would be to follow my route to Biggs Junction. Instead of heading west to Portland, continue North on highway 97 to Yakima, WA and then West across the Southern route across Mt Rainier National Park. From there head south to Vancouver.
Thanks! Will definitely keep those routes in mind!

Old 12-27-2016, 03:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,711 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Do you prefer mtns or coast? It is an ideal 11 day RT. (I often do it in one day, but 3 each way is very nice.). More time allows many options BUT have a plan B for weather. At age 16 we did that loop on the coast with motorcycles and camping. Mid July, we froze to death. But many times since I have done by camping and no issues.

I like coast / redwoods, Samoa Cookhouse, Oregon Caves, Crater Lake, Diamond Lake, Umpqua and Rogue Rivers, Northern Oregon Coast, St Helens, Columbia Gorge. (Home)

You can fit all that in EZ. I really like Lassen NP, but that will be a long side trip, and might be better another time.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:45 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,544,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
We are open to ideas. We will be researching what's near our route and what we can reasonably get to and see. Thanks for the suggestions already given! We like everything from the outdoors..beautiful landscapes, to the hustle and bustle of cities. We will be researching notable or well known things or places to visit in the area.

The trip is one way. So, we will leave from San Fran, then fly home from Vancouver once our time is up.

(last sentence )

Did you mean fly home from Portland OR ?

I didn't know there were commercial flights out of Vancouver Washington.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:54 AM

21,421 posts, read 21,980,735 times
the area between Jenner and Mendocino are worth the visit and a stay over as you get started out and before you get into redwood country...

https://www.timbercoveresort.com/

Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,711 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(last sentence )

Did you mean fly home from Portland OR ?

I didn't know there were commercial flights out of Vancouver Washington.
You can charter flights from Pearson - Vancouver, WA, Or drive 5 min to PDX and grab a $40 flight to Bay Area airports. (Book during frequent sales.). Book late morning so you can grab a $0.99 hot breakfast at IKEA.

If you have a rental car, check Vancouver return, as no Portland airport tax, but does have WA sales tax, so verify the totals.

For your OR coast trip, there are just a couple State and NFS campgrounds on the coast side of highway. That is nice. Yachats, OR has great tidepools. Yaquina head lighthouse, Depot Bay / Whale Cove, tillamook ice cream, twin rocks (drift wood beach), manzanita (sand), Hug Point. (Has great red soils and cliffs and waterfall for sunset pics, also part of stagecoach road and small caves. Cannon Beach, Ecola, FT Clatsop (Lewis & Clark), Astoria maritime museum, cape Flattery (WA side of River), then venture to Castle Rock, WA for Mt St Helens visitor center. The either head to Portland, or Mt Rainier / Paradise Lodge. Lots of nice parks in Portland, including largest urban park in USA. Don't forget Columbia Gorge. Eastbound on WA SR14 for sunrise at Cape Horn, westbound on Oregon side in Afternoon for best sun / lighting conditions for pics. Take scenic Gorge highway (built specifically to capture the viewpoints). stop for an evening at Edgefields, very fun eclectic art on walls, very Portland. Nice interesting place for lodging (as are most Mcmenamin)

Be sure to do an evening at Powell Books (largest used bookstore in the world). Their parking structure is a true experience not to miss! Happy hour at Jakes Crawfish (1 block away). Browse Mother Goose store for excellent PNW hand crafted goods. (2 blocks away). Spend your days in the many parks, and hiking in the Columbia Gorge (20 min east)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel