U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:44 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Regarding lines at Paris attractions, used to be you could get a weekly multi-attraction pass which allowed you to bypass the lines, which can be long at the main attractions like the Louvre. Hopefully that's still the case. Getting there first thing can also work sometimes.
Paris City Pass- the one that does NOT contain mass transit is a better value than the one that does. (buying books-a carnet- of Metro tickets is generally the most cost effective way of getting around). Get at one of the smaller participating museums where you don't have to wait to buy tickets. They let you bypass the ticket buying lines, which are a zoo, but you will still have to go through the same security check lines as everyone else.

The French are a more formal culture- offering a polite greeting before getting down to business shows you're trying to respect local norms and will generally get you far.

It's also a very densely populated city and remember the locals are just trying to make it to work, appointments, and home again on time instead of taking a leisurely stroll down the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 07:25 PM

23,055 posts, read 35,012,419 times
I adore the Parisians. Hospitable to a fault, but they do not suffer fools gladly...beware.
My husband introduced me years ago to an old colleague that was raised by an aristocratic family about 10 miles outside of Paris. Typical medieval French village...they own the Chateau in the town center, which has been in the family for about 400 years. After he and his wife retired, they converted the Chateau into a hotel and live in the guesthouse.
We were dining in this amazing country rotisserie one night with them; we were on vacation, but the conversation between my husband and his old friend inevitably turned to business.
Odile became incensed. "JEAN-MICHEL! THEY ARE ON VACATION! BUSINESS WILL NOT BE DISCUSSED SUR LA TABLE!"
I love the Europeans for being hyperaware of manners and courtliness; It's a lost art over here.

BTW, this where we were dining. Totally off the tourist radar, and an unforgettable experience...particularly if you like roasted duck, which I do.

http://www.rotisseriedesloges.fr/

Old 12-26-2016, 09:17 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,558 times
See my recent comments on another thread about Prague. LOVED that city...Paris was okay, but not one of my most favorite cities in the world.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:23 PM

1,757 posts, read 1,014,807 times
I didn't have an issue with being charged for appetizers in Prague nor pickpockets. What i did love was that it was so much cheaper than than Western Europe.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:46 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,756,105 times
I've been to both, many times, and I enjoy them both. Here's the only advice/comparison I can offer: If you want to get away from the crowds in Paris, walk two or three streets and you'll find a lovely quiet place. If you want to get away from the crowds in Prague, you have to walk way in back of the castle. Paris is also far more diverse.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I didn't have an issue with being charged for appetizers in Prague nor pickpockets. What i did love was that it was so much cheaper than than Western Europe.
It's one reason that the Czech Republic has been reluctant to convert to the Euro, and also makes Prague a big draw for European tourists.
My favorite watering hole in Prague, right at the foot of the Clock:

https://www.hoteluprince.com/en

Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,786,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's one reason that the Czech Republic has been reluctant to convert to the Euro, and also makes Prague a big draw for European tourists.
My favorite watering hole in Prague, right at the foot of the Clock:

https://www.hoteluprince.com/en
Wow that place looks nice! I'm getting all giddy because It seems like Prague is a beautiful place to see! I have yet to hear anyone that has been there (even someone I know in in real life) say anything bad about it.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Wow that place looks nice! I'm getting all giddy because It seems like Prague is a beautiful place to see! I have yet to hear anyone that has been there (even someone I know in in real life) say anything bad about it.

There is something wrong with anybody that would find fault with it. It's like entering a fairy tale.

A flawlessly medieval town untouched by modern war and with a touch of whimsy.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...gue-city-break

https://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=651

Žižkov Tower — Tower Park Prague

Museum torture, law and instruments of torture - Celetn ulice 12

Old 12-28-2016, 09:54 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post

The only thing you might hear someone say negative about Prague is that sometimes it's hard to find your way through the winding, unnamed streets so you wander around somewhat lost. I, personally, think that's a GREAT thing however!

(When in Venice, my mother and I tried our best to get lost but we never truly succeeded!)

Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
The only thing you might hear someone say negative about Prague is that sometimes it's hard to find your way through the winding, unnamed streets so you wander around somewhat lost. I, personally, think that's a GREAT thing however!

(When in Venice, my mother and I tried our best to get lost but we never truly succeeded!)
Well, you must have a marvelous sense of direction, because that is a pretty easy thing to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel