Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:06 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,197,619 times

Advertisements

I'm going Paris and Prague in May of next year. I have never been to either place, and I'm excited! Does anyone who has been to either place have any tips?

Also, people keep telling me that people in Paris do not like Americans, and will be snotty to them. Is this true? I'm trying to pick up some French before I go, hoping that will help things. Any other tips?

And as for Prague, I read on another thread to be careful of pickpockets there. Any other tips for Prague?

Thanks so much for any tips or suggestions you may have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,322,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Also, people keep telling me that people in Paris do not like Americans, and will be snotty to them. Is this true?
Well from my experience, people in Paris usually do not care where you are from, as long as you are friendly and at least try to understand a couple of words in French. What people do not like - probably like everywhere else in the world - is if you just talk to them in your mother tongue right away. In general, nothing really identifies you as "Americans", during my last visits in Paris actually nobody asked me where I was from, so could be everywhere from German, Scandinavian, American,... people may understand it as snotty but French people actually love their country, city, language and culture.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:50 AM

19,397 posts, read 27,703,839 times
The pick pockets are equally bad in Paris.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:50 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,396,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
I'm going Paris and Prague in May of next year. I have never been to either place, and I'm excited! Does anyone who has been to either place have any tips?
For Paris, if this is your first time, it'd be wise to book some of the tickets online if that's possible, the queues are just awful 24/7 in Paris.

In addition, I strongly recommend Vaux-le-Vicomte/Fontainebleau over Versailles (if palaces are your thing). The latter is stunning and all, but it's just too ****ing crowded, you'd have a better time just staying at the gardens instead of queuing for the palace for like 2-3 hrs.

And don't miss le Museé de l'Orangerie (if museums are your thing). I personally like it the most out of all museums in Paris.

Quote:
Also, people keep telling me that people in Paris do not like Americans, and will be snotty to them. Is this true? I'm trying to pick up some French before I go, hoping that will help things. Any other tips?
No that is not true. They don't like speaking English solely because their English is terrible, it'd be smart move to pick up some French, even better if you'd try to pronounce the "r" in the French way.

Quote:
And as for Prague, I read on another thread to be careful of pickpockets there. Any other tips for Prague?
Well personally I find Paris a lot worse as far as pickpockets go. I strongly advise against going up the Old Town Hall Tower, you'd be better off going up another church across the river. The view would be better and there wouldn't be any queue.

Have fun!

Old 12-26-2016, 10:58 AM

1,584 posts, read 975,620 times
You can fall prey to pickpockets in most cities if you're careless, and that includes Paris and Prague. Stay moderately aware and you should be okay.

It's been a while since I visited Prague, but at the time, I found it extremely wise not to take taxicabs. The couple times I did, they proved to be shameless ripoff artists. If you can avoid them, do so. Also, if you go to a restaurant in Prague and you see appetizers sitting on the table (nuts, crackers, cheese, etc.), note that they are NOT free; if you indulge, expect a hefty charge for them on your bill.

There are a ton of excellent attractions in both places. Consulting a good guidebook is recommended.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Oh, and regarding people in Paris. They're every bit as nice as folks in any other city. But there's a caveat -- try to speak at least a little French, even if it's only a few basic phrases. It makes a huge difference -- in fact, they'll often know your first language is English and switch over. It's when people make no effort to speak French that they might be a little distant. Same's true in Quebec City.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:13 AM

Regarding lines at Paris attractions, used to be you could get a weekly multi-attraction pass which allowed you to bypass the lines, which can be long at the main attractions like the Louvre. Hopefully that's still the case. Getting there first thing can also work sometimes.

Have heard Fountainbleu is great, but was extremely impressed with Versailles. That may be included on multi-attraction passes, and if so (or you can get there early), I'd include it.

Will definitely second the Orangerie. Modest sized art collection, but top quality -- a must.

A fine day trip to take is Chartres. Best cathedral I've ever seen. Can be reached easily via commuter train to the south of Paris.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:54 AM

23,390 posts, read 43,926,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Oh, and regarding people in Paris. They're every bit as nice as folks in any other city. But there's a caveat -- try to speak at least a little French, even if it's only a few basic phrases. It makes a huge difference -- in fact, they'll often know your first language is English and switch over. It's when people make no effort to speak French that they might be a little distant. Same's true in Quebec City.
Good and essential advice. At very least, offer your gratitude and salutations in their native language. They do appreciate it.
I only remember one incident of rudeness by a service person in all the times I visited Paris. It was at the Virgin Megastore on the Champs-Elysees; I handed him a long list of CDs that my daughter could not find in the US and asked him for assistance. He grudgingly complied. Afterward, I offered my (sincere) gratitude and told him how much it would mean to my daughter; upon hearing this, his attitude did a complete 180. A little diplomacy goes a long way.
God, Paris and Prague. I am so envious. Throw Florence in the mix and you have my Travel Trifecta.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:23 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The pick pockets are equally bad in Paris.
I was going to say this as well . Be careful because they have gypsys there who are notorious pick pockets . my friend just got back from a paris trip and she went there ten years ago and she said it is nothing like it was ten years ago ...So just be careful and travel in groups wherever you go .

Old 12-26-2016, 04:41 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,197,619 times
Thanks everyone for the tips! And I espescially liked the tip about the food like crackers, etc in a restaurant that may be on the table but NOT free. hahaha.

For Paris, I do plan on getting some French under my belt. For Prague I imagine Czech is hard but I will try to pick up a few words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel